Nvidia Stuffs Desktop Graphics, Water Cooling Into Laptops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Only in some cases, and it's not completely comparable. Nor would I say "always" since mobile pricing keeps dropping and there's ways to save money on mobile due to its size, shipping etc that can keep it cheaper.

Consider a $300 laptop. That's a complete computer with screen, battery backup etc. Yes, it's a bit apples to oranges but try to build a $300 desktop system complete with everything including Windows.

And if comparing laptops to desktops are you comparing to PREBUILT desktops or just ones you can build?

Not so straight forward, and again I think gaming laptops are going to end up comparable or even cheaper than desktops at certain price points (though yet again we're comparing say 17" screen to 24" screen etc).

Shiseiten

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014

Only in some cases, and it's not completely comparable. Nor would I say "always" since mobile pricing keeps dropping and there's ways to save money on mobile due to its size, shipping etc that can keep it cheaper.

Consider a $300 laptop. That's a complete computer with screen, battery backup etc. Yes, it's a bit apples to oranges but try to build a $300 desktop system complete with everything including Windows.

And if comparing laptops to desktops are you comparing to PREBUILT desktops or just ones you can build?

Not so straight forward, and again I think gaming laptops are going to end up comparable or even cheaper than desktops at certain price points (though yet again we're comparing say 17" screen to 24" screen etc).

Sorry. I mean DIY desktops.

you are right too.

if there is a day gaming laptop with 27 inch 1440P 120 hz screen with mechanical keyboard and the price is not too far off from desktop exists, i might consider to get a gaming laptop.

Ummmm.... a 27" screen is hardly practical to operate on "your lap".....let alone travel thru airports with or carry from jobsite to jobsite.

Different tool for different jobs. A compressor / air nailer is a superior tool for roofing jobs but is hardly practical to hang a picture in your dining room. I have a custom desktop to run AutoCAD in the home office and game on after hours, I also have a custom built laptop to use on job site's as lugging a 70 pound desktop and large screen from one construction site to another is highly impractical.

During working hours, I find myself using the laptop about 90% of the time....when in the home office. Even with a 6' long desk w/ return the desk gets too cluttered to spread out a set of 30x42 stapled drawings. After hours, I use the lappie also about 90% of the time... e-mail, reading forums, web browsing and all other activities, .... even AutoCAD, there's no performance impact. Only really need the water cooled SLI box when playing games like Witcher 3 and Far Cry 4. Otherwise, I'm sitting comfortably in the den with a sports event or movie on and the lappie on a snack table.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
This is infinitely better than attaching a mid range graphics card through at most a 4x PCIe (as of last year--the last time I checked).

Why wasn't this done sooner? It fills a specific niche of the travelling or LAN-partying gamer. It's not like it replaces other options, it is just a new way of doing something old--like back in the day of luggables. This is compromise at it's finest: comprising otherwise unused battery life for performance. It's not for me, I'll always be desktop, but this is what I'd get if I was living and working on the road.

Again, it was done sooner.... Boutique laptop vendors (using Clevo Chassis) have been doing this, with desktop CPUs and GPUs even with SLI for I'd guess 10 years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6698/avadirects-clevo-p570wm-x79-gaming-notebook-available-for-preorder-in-the-us

here are also large notebooks that some might call DTR (e.g. Alienware’s M17x and M18x, and most of the other 17.3” gaming notebooks), but if you want true desktop power you’ll want a desktop CPU. That’s precisely what AVADirect/Clevo are offering with the P570WM, supporting Intel’s socket 2011 processors in a large chassis with an equally large power brick.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-guide-v3-0-faq-and-reseller-info-read-before-posting.592609/

2006 World's 1st 19"notebook with SLI technology

2007 World's 1st Intel® Core 2 Extreme notebook with SLI
technology.

2008 World's Word’s 1st Intel® Core 2 Extreme notebook with SLI
technology

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np9870.html

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M with 8GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ $0.00
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 970M's in SLI total 12GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ $150.00
NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980 with 8GB GDDR5 G-SYNC™ Desktop Style! $450.00
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 980M's in SLI total 16GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ $650.00

Currently, due to smaller form factors, only the mobile offerings are available from what I have seen but if you want a desktop 980, you can get it.... no water req'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.