Nvidia Support for AGEIA PhysX Processors is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Bad move! Poor form Nvidia! Won't buy from your shoddy outfit again...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yea, who didn't see THAT coming. That thing was a hunk of crap. Did you ever see the demo's showing off what it was capable of? Crap. Good riddance.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
nvidia wasn't interested in those chips when it acquired ageia a couple of years ago in the first place. it was PhsyX it was after. now that GeForce GPUs PhysX capabilities, it was only a matter of time...

if you still have PhysX processors, maybe it's time to upgrade.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
It wasn't the best addition, but it did add some extra effects, I assume Nvidia has gotten what they wanted from the acquistion, right? Probably not worth their time to continue to support Aegia's ppu's, anymore?

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Well they should start making it so its more capable of running on the CPU instead.... otherwise whats the use? if we have a Intel GPU or ATI gpu we won't be able to use your techneogy

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Nvidia has a track record and this is the same crap they did when they bought 3dfx way back in the day i had a voodoo 5500 and they didnt put out drivers for it for windows xp i was soo pissed off that i really have never bought anything they make all i buy is ATI.. not saying i have not owned Nvidia but never purchased one=)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Oh ya physx...the chip that gave games no performance gain at all. Hmm I remember that. Some gimmick to make someone a quick buck. Now that the geforce cards have physx, well...what games even use it? All the games I play use Havoc which i believe is software, made by Valve.....hmmmmm...... physx? well idk before I had the physx capability I loaded up the physx demos from their web site and they ran fine on my pc (?????) why would I need to buy the card lol.

oh i see the list of games on wikipedia... gundam? oh that is on ps3? who cares? lol. I haven't played any of the games on that list (unless gundam is that plain launch game that I played at my friend's place on his ps3..wasn't that impressive of a game, actually had more fun playing gundam on sega dreamcast)

well... I wouldn't say good riddance to physx I just never had anything that used it. I think that's the biggest problem it had, very very minimal support. the list possibly is full of ps3 titles anyway which I don't even have.

Iluv2raceit

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I knew Ageia physx was doomed from the moment NVidia acquired them. Thank goodness I never bought a Physx card. Also, something of major importance to mention to fellow NVidia fans, the new Fermi GPU supports NVidia Physx better than the 8xx, 9xx, and 2xx series video cards. The Fermi architecture is able to switch between 3D acceleration and Physx processing on the fly during the same clock cycle so there is no more need for a dedicated PPU. In fact, if you use a previous generation card with a Fermi setup, you will actually see a drop in performance - especially if you are running an SLI setup (2-way, 3-way, or 4-way). I am using a 3-way SLI GTX480 setup and no longer use a dedicated Physx card and the physics score in 3DMark Vantage went up significantly! Just thought you all should know this information!

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
how to "discontinue support" and "back the technology" at the same time??
isn't AGEIA = PhysX???
which one is dead now??? please enlighten me

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]iluv2raceit[/nom] I am using a 3-way SLI GTX480 setup and no longer use a dedicated Physx card and the physics score in 3DMark Vantage went up significantly! Just thought you all should know this information![/citation]

So how many organs did you sell?

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I thought about returning to NVidia to SLI and have a dedicated physx card but when I read that many games don't actually support it then I just dropped the thought ahah.

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Nvidia upper management incompetance at it's worst. How does a company screw up a potential huge revenue stream like hardware based physics? Simple try to integrate with the graphics card. Had Nvidia took the lead by upgrading hardware based physics and put more cache for custom based physics hardware, Physx could have destroyed Havok but now this thing goes the way of the dinosaur....

ipp

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]So how many organs did you sell?[/citation]

So he has a hobby and money. This is like the ipad for $500 vs a netbook for $300. $200 is NOTHING to a lot of people.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
actualy a lot and a lot of newer games run some form of phys-x and the performance boos is there. but mostly i hope for some real fys-x games not this half ass crap they are running. fysx is realy much cooler then dx11. ceep in mind im not at all a nvidia lover i like radeon the same.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]if you still have PhysX processors, maybe it's time to upgrade.[/citation]

Have one... its a paperweight :p

If they had been pci-express even 1 or 2x it would have been something worthwhile. But as it was implemented it can do half of the particles that the nvidia gpu physx can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.