Nvidia Supports ATI Radeon PhysX Efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

^ exactly.. havoc is owned by intel and nvidia is taking all steps necessary to make intels trip into the gpu world as hard as possible

agentvertigo

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I hope Badit is getting serious pay, cuz messing around such heavy politics could cost him way more than he's getting. Nvidia loves him for showing up the blue and green teams. But big blue(not IBM) in turn could screw him over, and he won't know it. Sometimes being the nice know-it-all does'nt pay off. I'd rather get payed for chopping my own hand off, than be called brave and adventurous. Is that last word spelled ok?

garydale

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
This is something where FOSS makes a lot of sense. NVidia and AMD/ATI can have their own way of doing things, but if they open up the interfaces, then each API can compete and let the market decide. Moreover, it opens the possibility that smaller hardware vendors can enter the market with their own processors without having to build a full-fledged software system around them.

Hopefully AMD, which has been fairly supportive of the FOSS community, will give Badit support too. I'd like to see AMD/ATI software work on NVidia cards too.

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Don't you think nvidia is only doing this so that physx can get more developer support and push out havoc in the industry? I'm not complaining, intel already has too large a foothold in the electronics market.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Works for me. If both ATI and nVidia support PhysX then game developers will be a lot more likely to use it. This is good for everybody - ATI. nVidia, game companies, gamers.[/citation]

Agreed.

G

sounds like the directx and openGL war all over again. Amd would be stupid to fight this. With the 4870 at the price point that its at, and being able to run both the havok and physX API. I can see lots of sales coming from this deal. also this just might make intel's venture into the gpu market that much harder.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Not a bad move on nVidia's part, they're looking at the future.

Even if they lose out to ATi this current graphics generation, they know full well they can come back again next generation with a competitive product.

The problem is Intel, if Intel manages to cut nVidia out of a large proportion of the physics acceleration market right now, they'll have an easier time pushing havoc when larabee shows up. By allowing ATi cards to run physx, nVidia has just opened 100% of the gaming community to physx accelerated gaming. .

It doesn't take long for gaming developers to jump on new technology... If they know that everyone will have that tech in their systems of course.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
As a gamer I am happy with Havok, it doesn't make my games run any worse and I have come to expect rag-doll physics. Some of the most unexpectedly fun game experiences have been with Havok'ed corpses..Far Cry, Oblivion.

PhysX has had no meaningful game insertion yet, let alone hundreds of Havok titles. Also the technology may be fundamentally flawed for on-line play: Try transmitting all that gamestate data over your internet connection.

Until we have magic internet, PhysX will be limited to single play or small 2 man matches on a LAN.

Good luck PhysX, you have your work cut out for you if you wish to overtake Havok.

harrycat88

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think it's a good ideal for AMD to jump on the PhysX bandwagon so quick. Since Intel has such a foot hold on CPU sells, all Intel would have to do was lower the prices on the CPU's and that would put the hurt on AMD's CPU market share to the point they would go so fare in debt that they couldn't recover from it.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I dont think you guys understand how shocking this has to be ! lol. Nvidia payed a lot of money to buy Physx. Now If crysis ran on physx lower end cards would also run it smoother . Heres the big part. IF BOTH ATI AND NVIDA RUN PHYSX THEN MOST DEVELOPERS WOULD PROBABLY JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON . So much for Valves super elite multicore particle engine.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Bad part is that no one would care what cpu they have if everyone runs on physx wich your right might hurt AMD . Hmmmm what is Nvida planing the death of AMD? wow this is a good conspiracy going on

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Yea this move is fishy... by supporting phyisx would help Nvidia because game develers would see it as both ATI and Nvidia support physicx so why bother with havok. :O rather than making a tough disicion which one to support.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
[citation][nom]bf2gameplaya[/nom]As a gamer I am happy with Havok, it doesn't make my games run any worse and I have come to expect rag-doll physics. Some of the most unexpectedly fun game experiences have been with Havok'ed corpses..Far Cry, Oblivion.PhysX has had no meaningful game insertion yet, let alone hundreds of Havok titles. Also the technology may be fundamentally flawed for on-line play: Try transmitting all that gamestate data over your internet connection.Until we have magic internet, PhysX will be limited to single play or small 2 man matches on a LAN.Good luck PhysX, you have your work cut out for you if you wish to overtake Havok.[/citation]

This is the only intelligent response in this thread. If you think AMD is going to give over control and reputation (AND PERFORMANCE!!) by supporting this nvidiot scam, then that's why you are not running AMD.

Correction - one other poster suggested this developer night get his ass sued. Perhaps it could blow up in nvidiots face, like most everything else lately.

AMD will not trust it's performance to be managed by nvidiot - wake up call - cos that's what this is - it's a cheap scam. Small wonder no response. This dvloper might have access - but NOT the inside track to all the secrets.

There have been complaints of typos and ambiguity in thg articles lately; but THIS article is deliberately misleading, inflammatory, indicative of bias, misinterpreted even in these comments, and insulting to us all - ESPECIALLY THE TITLE.

Better quality reporting can be found in the Mational Enquirerrr.

Clean up yer act thg or simply get honest about who u pimp for. Kikk me if you want - this is crap BS and you know it. I think yer in nvidiots pocket - or bed!

fudgeboy

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
meh, nVidia COULD use this to their advantage by releasing some kind of chip which massively optimises CUDA and PhysX etc. in programming PhysX to run at a slower rate on any other graphics card will probably work for them, seeing as how most games are heading towards the whole 100% destructible environments thing.
but with all the new dual, quad, hept and oct cores either around or coming out soon, i'd rather just let the CPU handle all the physX for me. no point dropping my framerate just so i can put a hole in a wall everytime i drive a tank into it...which...doesnt happen much...i swear...

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well,the way I see it,atleast each respective company is ACTUALLY working on something.Remember,this is a 3rd party,not just AMD.

The hell if it makes it run slower,this will only make each company try to make better hardware.Otherwise people would probably be sticking around the early pentiums here.

Status
Not open for further replies.