Nvidia Takes $119.1 M Charge for Faulty GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Thank god this is finally fading. I ended up throwing my hp laptop in the trash because of it. HP's warranty policy is to replace the motherboard with the same faulty part.

G

So how did they define a 'loss'?
A loss on the profit they are making?
I think it's hardly possible for a company to keep on existing if they would actually sell their products with loss.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So brand loyalty should be constricted to how they pack, and shipping company loyalties.

At Prodigi
Have you ever head of AMD :)
They are the poster child of loosing money and yet still around.

thepetey

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
my dell XPS M1330 has one of those fault ships, dell told me i "over used" my laptop and that the specific videocard cant handle "intense" gaming. HA! what a joke... CS 1.6 is hardly intense.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
@ thepetey

Stop buying anything from any companies that does not respect our business. Does anyone know Apple's been extending the Ge-Fail 8600 GT related warranty to additional 2 years on top of original warranty for free?

I hate the Apple superdrive but can anyone tell me how many other companies that does that as well?

[citation][nom]Huang[/nom]"Nvidia's business is recovering. Product demand is improving, and our strategic investments are leading to new growth," Huang said.[/citation]

Well, I don't know if he wanted to hint something, but he did. Look like ATI is well on track to get back at the number one spot.

I think it could be the low blow from AMD for using Crossfire chips only for their AM3 platform.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Salem80[/nom]That's because the Huge die nVIDIA used[/citation]
Yup compared to ATI which uses a smaller die they get more bang per big old tube of silicone, i get why nvidia doesn't change sizes too often bigger company takes a bit longer but I'm sure they can see how AMD is doing selling fat dies compared to intel a company who only loss in like the past 20 years is caused by a giant EU fine.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Yup compared to ATI which uses a smaller die they get more bang per big old tube of silicone, i get why nvidia doesn't change sizes too often bigger company takes a bit longer but I'm sure they can see how AMD is doing selling fat dies compared to intel a company who only loss in like the past 20 years is caused by a giant EU fine.[/citation]

I can't believe you just wrote over 3 lines of text with 1 comma and no periods. Oh wait, you did finish it all off nicely with a dot.

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
loss: revenue - expenses < 0

I don't see how that's complicated, their expenses were greater than the money they earned, so they have less money now than they did 4 months ago....a loss.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Anyone ever heard of Nortel Networks? Their shares went from 100$/share down to 0.08$, but since they are the only ones that provide certain kind of telecom materials, they're still in "business"...

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]So how did they define a 'loss'?A loss on the profit they are making?I think it's hardly possible for a company to keep on existing if they would actually sell their products with loss.[/citation]

AMD/ATI has existed in that way only by much more staggering numbers for a long time now. They are still around in spite of their piss poor business model of under pricing their own wares for market penetration. I dont know they could survive a miss step like nVidia's here. Their margins are too thin.

G

Wow, It's amazing how you guys are so ignorant on what loss means.

I'll break it down for you.

For the quarter they had

$776.5 million in revenue (that is the same thing as gross sales)
$881.8 million in expenses (I don't know how to simplify the term expenses)

Therefore...

776.5 million revenue
- 881.8 million expenses
= they lost 105.3 million dollars.

It's a pretty simple concept actually.

G

By the way it is not uncommon at all for companies to operate at a loss. The US car manufacturers have been losers for decades. They take on debt to keep operations going, or they raise more cash through secondary offerings etc or if they have enough cash on hand to hold them over until they turn a profit again they can just use the cash in the bank.

By the way, I for the the financially illiterate this doesn't make sense, but profit and loss has absolutely nothing to do with cash, or cash flow. Nothing at all.

flatsix911

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Yup compared to ATI which uses a smaller die they get more bang per big old tube of silicone, i get why nvidia doesn't change sizes too often bigger company takes a bit longer but I'm sure they can see how AMD is doing selling fat dies compared to intel a company who only loss in like the past 20 years is caused by a giant EU fine.[/citation]

IzzyCraft, I hope you are kidding and not a raving technology idiot ... Silicon is grown as a large crystal and sliced into wafers for chip fabrication ... Not squeezed from a
big old tube of silicone

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
[citation][nom]kevin555555[/nom]...I for the the financially illiterate this doesn't make sense, but profit and loss has absolutely nothing to do with cash, or cash flow. Nothing at all.[/citation]
Ignoring the spout of illiteracy exhibited at the very beginning, that is exactly how loss and profit can be discussed in monetary units, i.e. CASH.
Net Profit
actual revenue after expenses in a given period of time

Net Loss
The operating result when expenses exceed revenues for a given period.
Taken from a financial dictionary.
So in other words, they have EVERYTHING to do with cash and overall cash flow. Net loss = losing money, or negative cash flow. Everything.
So that's two counts of illiteracy in different categories from someone claiming to provide clarification on the financial meanings of profit and loss.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Can't believe I missed this one:
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]So brand loyalty should be constricted to how they pack, and shipping company loyalties.[/citation]
That is not what they mean by product packaging. They mean the physical packaging of the electronic microcircuit, meaning the entirety of the actual chip (pins/contacts and all) that gets soldered to a circuit board, not how the chips are shipped from the factory to the customers.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
@waffle it was more meant as mild sarcasm if anything as not all gpus broke but the weak construction of them did make the more prone.

@flatsix T_T have you ever seen the process up close it tends to reminds me of a tube although probably more accurate a rod or cylinder even if i know it's not, it's called word play :)

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I repair PC's & have seen quite a few NVidia cards go bad but most of these are a year or more in age. They also seem more static sensitive so be sure to use a grounding strap when installing them or at least ground yourself while installing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.