Nvidia Tegra K1 In-Depth: The Power Of An Xbox In A Mobile SoC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
"Approx. Comparison To Both Last-Gen Consoles"
Why don't you update the graph title to "Prev Gen Consoles" since last gen consoles has 1.23 TFLOPS (XBOX One) and 1.84 TFLOPS (PS4) performance difference to this K1 chip is huge. It looks like NVidia will loose another battle...

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
@ Rupert Jr

Well multiplied 3x & with higher memory bandwidth you are there.
1.5x Maxwell & 2x cores (28nm to 16-14nm).
Hyper memory cube.
All this in 2015.

RupertJr

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
@ZolaIII
but what you are assuming does not exists nowadays and maybe until years...
where will be other chips at that time?

InvalidError

Titan

Well, they are right on at least one thing: 2014's SoCs are now about on par with high-end components from ~7 years ago or mid-range gaming PCs from ~5 years ago and are managing to do so on a 2-3W power budget, which is rightfully impressive IMO.

If SoCs continue improving at this pace while PCs remain mostly stagnant, the performance gap between SoCs and mainstream PCs will be mostly gone by the time 2015 is over.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I'm assuming this SoC will run at around 15 watts. With 192 CUDA cores and DDR3 LP, your max output will probably be somewhere around 180 GFLOPS. Yes yes it CAN do the same effects as consoles and PC, so what? If the Game Cube had DX 11.2 api running on it, it could as well, but obviouslt it coiuldn't put too much on the screen. This will be the same deal with the K1.

It's cool, I like it, don't get me wrong, but the stuff they're saying, though technically correct, is so misleading to about 90% of the market. People are going to think they have PS4's in their hand when in reality they have half a xbox 360 with up to date API's running on it.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Ah crap that's what I get for posting before reading everything -_-. Well, in retrospect I say I'm very surprised! 365 GFLOPS peak is amazing for what it's running off of! However, it really doesn't come close to competing with any current gen console or base gaming PC. I'd love to have a ultrabook running around 800 GFLOPS in the near future though :)

redeemer

Distinguished
So another things guys no mention of current products Tegra 4 /4i...lol, all I see is Tegra 5/6. Nvidia has to stop this non-sense they are all over the place, so I guess Tegra 4 is dead in the water not that it was being adopted well anyways. Nvidia is good at building Tegra hype but can never deliever. Hopefully they do not mess up k1!

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

It would be except they take into account that there is only one SMX rather than eight. So it would really be (25W/2W).

On a side note, if a company like Epic Games were to go back and do a thorough port of UDK 3, I believe it would be reasonable for a publishing company like 2K to either have it's developers go back and recompile the games, or hire new ones to do so, and we might see a market emerge for the K1.

The dream scenario for me would include having Sony add drivers for the dualshock to android, and being able to play borderlands on a tablet with it. Now if only there were someone to throw money into their faces...

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Actually, the article mentioned that 4i was still going to be released in the first half of 2014 as a solution for phones. Makes you wonder why they bother after reading the article however.

InvalidError

Titan

Tegra3 launched several months late, just before everyone else released their new next-gen SoCs so it was too little too late to have much of a chance to gain much market share. Tegra4 was largely in the same boat and I'm guessing many device manufacturers may have shied off due to lack of unified shaders and GPGPU too.

If Tegra5/K1 is delivered on-schedule and is priced right, it should have a decent shot at the market. That's a lot of ifs with a sub-par track record so Chris' implied skepticism (as well as many people in these comments, myself included) is very well warranted.

Time will tell.

After the obvious "but can it run crysis" reference, The main thing i dont understand is how the writer expects nVidia to bring great games over to tablets. The limitations are so massive ompared to PCs when it comes to keyboard/Mice that its simply not going to work.Sure, you can carry a Pad with you, but then again, its more stuff to carry around, and the main reason ppl get tablets is not to have to carry around heavy Laptops.Also dont forget that size matters when it omes to screens.Get your average good game on PC and put it in a tablet. Now imagine playing it in a small screen, with no keyboard or mice, with crappy sound and the limitation of a battery.There is a reason why people keep going to the Cinema even if they got a 40 inch tv at home.

does GPGPU really important for android? AFAIK for the latest snapdragon 805 qualcomm already dropping OpenCL support for the chip.

johnwck

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Where is the development in the laptop market? It seems to have stood still with the price points remaining fixed. With all this development, can't someone make a nice cheap gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.