Nvidia Titan X Pascal 12GB Review (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that this card is meant to be watercooled, for gamers. Since there are no AIB cards, and the reference one has "low" clocks (compared to 1080) I would guess that, given enough cooling in the form of a custom loop, these could overclock quite a lot (probably not as much as 1080, though) and effectively beat the 1080 by ~40%.

InvalidError

Titan

If the perfect die yield is high enough, Nvidia will probably launch a Quadro workstation GPU based on it with double the VRAM and sell it for a few extra thousand dollars.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks Chris for a thorough review on performance. I like that you chose mostly current 2015-2016 games know for heavy demands.

I somewhat agree with you about SLI. I've been SLI'ing for about 10 years now. When it's used, it's pretty incredible but sometimes waiting months or never for full utilization can be frustrating. Just seeing the way GPU PhysX has died is a good reminder.

I'm still on the fence, one of these or wait for the TI's. I've saved about $1600 for a couple of TI's, but if they're not available by the holidays I might borrow the difference and SLI a couple of these and be done for the next 5-7 years.

At the rate price increases are going, by the time 4k/120-144hz is available the x70's, x80's will be pushing $1000 anyway not to mention the wait till a re-seller has stock. So might as well be ready for the display and not wait too long for other cards.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Past Titans had 3x the VRAM, this only has 50% more and now it costs 20% more. Furthermore this thing doesn't even have the full 3840 pascal SP's! It is clear that in less than 6 months they will likely release a card with full Pascal and HBM2 (And it will likely cost less).

LMAO Tom's opinions are just starting to make less and less sense. Then again as far as I can tell only TH got a TX for review. That explains everything...

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

There won't be a 1080 Ti.

Do you think it is going to have 6GB of VRAM? Furthermore the TX is only like 25% stronger, so again are they just going to launch an in-between card for 15% more performance?

This is all you get until Vega and the 1180 come out. Hopefully a 490 will arrive to bring some competition, but I wouldn't hold my breath considering AMD just wants marketshare right now.

1. Some will be confused with the name Titan X compared to the previous Titan X.
Some sort of different name should have been introduced.

2. Thread utilizations less than 100% are misleading. Any multithreaded app needs a master thread to manage the others. If that master thread is 100% utilized and limiting the dispatch of daughter threads, task manager will not show that because windows spreads the activity of a single 100% cpu utilization around. Is this important?
Yes, look up "Amdahl's law" which shows how overall performance is negatively impacted by slow threads and not helped by many threads.
It would be useful to run these tests with some threads disabled.

well it was inevitable for them to price it at $1200, they need to make room for the 1080ti founders edition to be priced at $1000. Of course every media outlet will proclaim what a deal it will be for the non-founders editions and their MSRP of $900; ignoring the fact not a single non-founders edition will be sold for $900; instead they'll come in between $970-$1050 (check out the price of the non-founders edition 1060, 1070, and 1080 for reference)

Why would the 1080Ti, which is supposed to be the stop gap between the 1080 and Titan X, use GDDR5 and not GDDR5X? The 1080 has GDDR5X so I would assume that the 1080Ti would use it as well.

Rather I would assume the 1080Ti will have another SM unit disabled or maybe more to put it above the 1080 but below the Titan X.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

With what... the same 12GB of VRAM?

That just makes it the same card except overclocked lol. The Titan X sold out instantly at a $1200 price point. Why would they make anything cheaper if people are willing to pay this much?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Ok so you think a 6GB 1080 Ti with 20% more performance is coming for.... $900? No.

The 1070 uses GDDR5 when the 1080 uses GDDR5X and they're not that far away from eachother. It's not totally out of scope they decide to use GDDR5, but it would be *really* weird given the price range.

I would imagine, like you say, they will just disable a couple of SMX'es and keep everything else equal. Reduce the performance by 10-15% and make it land at $850. Much like the 980ti can reach Titan X levels, the (potential) 1080ti will reach Titan X (Pascal) levels with ease; or at least it should...

Cheers!

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

-10-15% performance makes it only 10% stronger than the 980 at most buddy.

Using GDDR5 would give it only like 10% more bandwidth then the 1080 with its GDDR5X.

What your describing is a card that is only 5-10% stronger than the 1080. Let the dream die - 1080 Ti isn't coming.

I also think it will be a hard sell, given the performance difference between the 1080 and the Titan X (Pascal)... BUT! You're missing the price gap difference. Thinking linearly, and given recent nVidia history, they can still place a 1080ti right when you're saying would be dumb, just because it would be justified by a price scheme perspective.

Like the article states: "Value? What value? This card is not about value". When you put a product that performs very similar to another product that "escapes reason", then it becomes "very reasonable". It's marketing shenanigans, but they do work, unfortunately.

Cheers!

No read what I said. I think if they do a 1080Ti the only difference would be a disabled SMU or maybe a few more to keep it between the 1080 and Titan X.

However I don't think there will be a 1080Ti this time because there is not much room between the 1080Ti and Titan X and I am pretty sure nVidia didn't like the 980Ti eating into their Titan X sales.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

It would have to be priced at $800 to have any value what-so-ever. Anything extra (Especially if it uses GDDR5) and we are looking at something priced just as badly as the Titan.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Nice review, and a great looking card. Streamers will likely be all over this, but the rest of the ultra enthusiasts should probably wait for 1080Ti. Also nice gains for Fury /X in DOOM Vulkan.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Make sure you normalize the data and get those "performance per clock per core" measurements. I'm sure Nvidia went to the higher memory bus knowing the card wouldn't scale without it. But i'm interested to see if the gap close or remains the same considering there are more cores as well as a higher bandwidth bus. I really wanted a pascal card, but I have a refrigerated loop, so to me OC scaling means a whole lot more. If the bus closes the gap, that means a more linear OC.

Hobson Shah

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

Sorry did not know how to directly reply to this comment. Ignore my comment before this. Anyways, how did you come up with this conclusion? Why would they remove the gddr5x from the 1080Ti when the 1080 already has gddr5x?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Because it's the only way they could hypothetically explain to Titan X buyers why the 1080 Ti also has 12GB of VRAM.

They could say "Only Titan Buyers get 12GB of the newest memory"

Status
Not open for further replies.