Nvidia Titan X Pascal 12GB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Well, the thermal throttling was to be expected with such a useless cooler, but that should not be an issue. If you are spending this much on a gpu, you should water-cool it!!! Problem solved

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I might spend $1,200 on a Titan X, because between 4K gaming and VR I'll get a lot of use out of it, but they don't seem to be available at anything close to that price at this time.

Any word when we can get these at $1,200 or less?

I wish I was confident that we'd get good SLI support in VR, so I could just get a pair of 1080s, but I've had so many problems in the past with SLI in 3D, that getting the fastest single-card solution available seems like the best choice to me.

Interesting to see how the Titan X turned into an R9 Nano in your anechoic chamber. :D

As for the Titan X, that cooler just isn't good enough. Not sure I agree that memory modules running 90 degrees C is "well below" the manufacturer's limit of 95 degrees C. What if your ambient temperature is 5 or 10 degrees higher?

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Basically the cards just one giant cash grab... I am shocked toms isn't denouncing this card! I could just see if Intel rated a CPU at 6ghz for the first 10secs it was running. Then throttled it back to something more manageable! but for those 10 secs you had the worlds fastest retail CPU.

No. The same chip with all the cores enabled would still be the same chip. However, it does mean there could eventually be a new Titan card with a fully enabled GP102. The same way the original Titan was succeeded by the Titan Black.

Sammy10

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
and 1200 dollars later , Nvidia did not find it in their heart to toss a hybrid cooler on tob that baby! CheapoVidia.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Lol @ reviewing this card like it actually is a gaming GPU complete with several game results comparing it to $400-$450 cards like the Fury and GTX 1070. I wonder how many people actually buy Titan series cards with the sole purpose of playing video games. I wonder how that figure compares to the number of people who buy Titan cards for non-gaming applications. When the first Titan came out, it seemed like it was more of a budget Quadro instead of an ultra high end gaming part. Now, it feels like the Titan's sole purpose is to get a few hundred extra bucks out of the wallets of impatient high end gamers in between the release of the GTX x80 and the GTX x80ti cards. Once they sell enough of these Titans to those people then they'll release a GTX 1080ti that might have a few GB less VRAM, maybe less FP64 performance but the same CUDA cores and everything else and which games just as good as the Titan X for hundreds of dollars less. Once the 1080ti is out, nobody would see a reason to buy a Titan X if all you are doing is gaming. It is a pretty smart business move by Nvidia.

The Titan X already has the FP64 performance nerfed into the ground. A lowly R9 280X would crush a Titan X in FP64 performance. On paper, even the old Radeon HD 5870 would beat the Titan X.

_MOJO_

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
This new architecture, which definitely delivers, is so ludicrously expensive. I paid close to $600 for a GTX 580 a few years ago. That was a good investment in hind sight since I made half back several years later, but these prices are insane, especially considering the price to performance.

$1200 to play 4K at 60 fps? My 4GB 980 still plays everything I want beautifully at 1440p. I just cannot wrap my mind around this yet- not at that premium price. I'll wait for more games coming out, the evolution of VR, and the prices on these cards dropping.

tps3443

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Save up your money.. Buy a graphics card when it is first released, and enjoy it! The GTX 980 had a life cycle of nearly 2 years before the GTX1080 was released. And the GTX980 is still fast for gaming! Especially once Overclocked!

I love my Nvidia GTX1080 Founders Edition! I've adjusted the default fan profile a little, send some air flow it's way, from my case fans. Overclocked it to 2128/11,400 memory. And it is a screaming demon! And, I plan to use it for it least another 18 months.

I can play 4K, and enjoy it, with a very smooth experience!

The Titan X Pascal is great! It is 15-30% faster than a GTX1080. But, you've gotta pay to play! I could hardly afford my GTX1080. If I could afford a Titan P , I would buy it in a second!

Bare in mind though, you can overclock a GTX1080 Founders Edition to roughly 20% more performance out of the box.

Happy life, happy gaming, happy overclocking, this is what it's all about people!

Status
Not open for further replies.