Question Nvidia to AMD, lose 1440P?

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
Pardon the rhyme, but I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I recently upgraded from a GTX 1060 to a Radeon 5700 XT and with the Radeon I am unable to select some pretty common resolutions: 1600 x 900 and more importantly 1440P. I am using a Skyworth TV and while it's not the best it meets my needs and was able to display the full gamut of resolutions. I am back on the 1060 just to make sure nothing got borked and sure enough I am able to get the full suite of resolutions as before.

I tried the 5700 XT on a 1080P monitor, and it showed the usual resolutions, so I'm concerned that there's some weird communication going on between the TV and the 5700 (via HDMI) that's not happening with the TV and the 1060.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Nov 7, 2019
Your TV isn't made for gaming though so it wouldn't support freesync while most modern monitors do (freesync gives better resolutions I think).I don't know if I'm right since I don't know much about computers ☹️.

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
Your TV isn't made for gaming though so it wouldn't support freesync while most modern monitors do (freesync gives better resolutions I think).I don't know if I'm right since I don't know much about computers ☹.

Interesting. Is there any reason why it would work on the Nvidia (the 1060 gives me all resolutions up to UHD).

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
TV’s don’t natively support 1440p. Are you sure you were not using NVidia DSR to render at 1440p then downscale to TV resolution (assuming TV is not 4K).

Sorry should have mentioned; yes the television is a 4K television. I don't even know what DSR is (haha) so. . .maybe? I doubt it though. The 1060 has worked on two different televisions flawlessly (in terms of resolution).

Sorry should have mentioned; yes the television is a 4K television. I don't even know what DSR is (haha) so. . .maybe? I doubt it though. The 1060 has worked on two different televisions flawlessly (in terms of resolution).
Hmm without an AMD card available I am unable to test.
DSR in my simple understanding renders the image in a higher resolution and then downscales to the monitor/TV resolution. By doing this it achieves better anti analysing but takes more gpu power.

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
Hmm without an AMD card available I am unable to test.
DSR in my simple understanding renders the image in a higher resolution and then downscales to the monitor/TV resolution. By doing this it achieves better anti analysing but takes more gpu power.

Oh. Yeah I definitely wasn't using any of that. I only had the basic Nvidia program installed.

Is it at all possible that it's a GPU issue; it's hard to test this when both the GPU and the monitor work under different circumstances.

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
I doubt it’s a hardware problem. Could be a software/driver problem.

Hmm. Another issue that I've just discovered: switching to 1080P in game causes the card to just flash artifacts with no video input as if it can't actually do 1080P? Note this happens in most games (RDR2, The Outer Worlds, Borderlands, Destiny 2, etc).

After doing a complete DDU, now when I select UHD I get this boxy resolution with black bars on the sides and have to go up to true 4K in order to get rid of them. What a mess.

If it's a driver issue, are there any good drivers to focus on? I've tried 19.7.2, the newest drivers and 19.9.2. All the same behavior.

Last edited:
You should hit the AMD website and read the FAQ's available on custom resolutions and HDMI connectivity. I haven't hooked up a TV to my PC in a long time but there's no reason it shouldn't work if you have the correct info for your TV and adjust the GPU settings to match. You likely have something turned on for the 5700 that the 1060 simply can't do and that shouldn't be used on a TV...like Free sync and/or Enhanced sync...which require compatible devices.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-032

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm. Another issue that I've just discovered: switching to 1080P in game causes the card to just flash artifacts with no video input as if it can't actually do 1080P? Note this happens in most games (RDR2, The Outer Worlds, Borderlands, Destiny 2, etc).

After doing a complete DDU, now when I select UHD I get this boxy resolution with black bars on the sides and have to go up to true 4K in order to get rid of them. What a mess.

If it's a driver issue, are there any good drivers to focus on? I've tried 19.7.2, the newest drivers and 19.9.2. All the same behavior.

I'm logged into my Linux box right now - but I seem to recall there's some option in the AMD drivers that lets you choose whether to display a resolution that's lower than your screen's resolution as either exact (pixel by pixel, so you'd get that effect you're seeing now with the black bars) or to scale it. It's been a while since I've looked at it, though, or needed to use it. But a few years back, initially, I had the same issue when I tried to run 1280x720 resolution on my 1920x1080 monitor.

I can't remember the exact wording of what that option was called, though.

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
You should hit the AMD website and read the FAQ's available on custom resolutions and HDMI connectivity. I haven't hooked up a TV to my PC in a long time but there's no reason it shouldn't work if you have the correct info for your TV and adjust the GPU settings to match. You likely have something turned on for the 5700 that the 1060 simply can't do and that shouldn't be used on a TV...like Free sync and/or Enhanced sync...which require compatible devices.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-032

Freesync isn't enabled on my TV. I did try to input a custom resolution, and it works but the picture quality is VERY bad. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Did you install the latest drivers, from AMD?

I've tried all the latest drivers back to 19.7.5. No change between any of them.

ANDS

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2012
Small update: Swapped the 5700XT with another unit. The 1080P problem is gone now and the card actually responds to this resolution in game, but the loss of 1440P natively still remains as well as the odd "squishing" of HD resolutions (the sides of the screen are compressed when choosing these resolutions, though this does not translate in game for some reason as HD resolutions are fine there).

Really really confused -

TRENDING THREADS