Nvidia Touts Physics, But Financial Trouble Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Santa Clara (CA) - Owners of a GeForce 8-series or higher graphics card can squeeze more eye candy out of their hardware as Nvidia has released a demo pack consisting of a full game, acceleration demos and Stanford's Folding@Home distributed computing client that showcase the physics and floating point horsepower of the company's graphics cards.

Nvidia Touts Physics, But Financial Trouble Ahead : Read more

anhe64

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
O, it's the temperature of those 4870's and 4870x2's. 92C idle and under load it's like an airplane the fan.

by the way: tomshardware starts to be biased against nvidia in the assumed text. take the title of this article: "But Financial Trouble Ahead". No, they don't they are way in green. AMD is close to going broke so what is the story here?

or that other article where they copied the stuff from the Inquirer that is written by that Charlie guy who has a personal vendetta with nvidia and only writes BS.

or their own article heading "Radeon HD 4870: Better Than GTX 260!". They could also write "Radeon HD 4870: Worse than GTX 280!"

or the last lineup of graphics cards: they skip (stop before) the high-end that is dominated by nvidia

call me in favor of nvidia but somehow they are not as objective as they used to be

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
@anhe64

The article entitled "Radeon HD 4870: Better than GTX 260!" is actually much more appropriate considering the 4870 and gtx260 are direct competitors at their price points. There's also the fact that the GTX 260 saw a price drop after the 4870 benchmarks came out, so the title was even more appropriate at that time.

Other than that, I agree with most of your post.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'd also fork out the extra cash just to get a CUDA capable video card. This is getting exciting and AMD should follow suit.
BTW, are the 8 and 9 series for mobile computers CUDA capable?

lol every new card has some bs going down with it - the 8800GT's at first had people worrying about temps and fan speeds, now ati 48xx - get over it, both companies offer strong cards that work (with the exception of perhaps a few nvidia duds ;))

i thought nvidia and ati were working together with gpu usage etc?

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Since CUDA probably produces shader code, it should run on ANY hardware that supports programmable shaders. It is just Nvidia limiting it to the most expensive cards (and only their own brand cards).
I hope that Larrabee is going to force CUDA to be enabled for ALL the cards (including ATI cards).
Otherwise, it is just another proprietary crap. But that's the way it's meant to be played, ain't it? :)

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]anhe64[/nom]O, it's the temperature of those 4870's and 4870x2's. 92C idle and under load it's like an airplane the fan.by the way: tomshardware starts to be biased against nvidia in the assumed text. take the title of this article: "But Financial Trouble Ahead". No, they don't they are way in green. AMD is close to going broke so what is the story here?or that other article where they copied the stuff from the Inquirer that is written by that Charlie guy who has a personal vendetta with nvidia and only writes BS.or their own article heading "Radeon HD 4870: Better Than GTX 260!". They could also write "Radeon HD 4870: Worse than GTX 280!"or the last lineup of graphics cards: they skip (stop before) the high-end that is dominated by nvidiacall me in favor of nvidia but somehow they are not as objective as they used to be[/citation]
God you Nvidiot fanboy my wise and beautiful friend.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]apoq[/nom]I'd also fork out the extra cash just to get a CUDA capable video card. This is getting exciting and AMD should follow suit.BTW, are the 8 and 9 series for mobile computers CUDA capable?[/citation]

You're assuming that CUDA takes hold over Intel's solution and AMDs recently announced adoption of an open standard.

No one can argue what will prevail. Not with "NV has a head start", or "Intel won't break into performance markets for crap.". No one, can say for certain based on anything until the market decides, no one. There are just too many variables to say.

I've got a great sale going right now on Betamax, HDDVD, and Voodoo products for anyone who thinks otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.