News Nvidia 'Ultimate Countdown' Points to Ampere on August 31

Is that supposed to be our wallet exploding in 21 days? :ROFLMAO:

Gvlxa8J.jpg

matt206

Reputable
Jul 10, 2020
I hope they'll soon release some Ampere cards that aren't just for gamers. Dying to get my hands on an Ampere equivalent to the Quadro RTX 8000. Hell, I'd even buy the new A100 if it weren't passively cooled. Hmm, maybe I could just get a passively-cooled A100 PCIe server card or two and attach my own high CFM fan(s) to the front? I'm sure my XL-ATX tower has enough room.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So where the RIVA/TNT cards not classified as “GPUs” for some reason? Or does that just sort of inconveniently screw up the whole 21 day/year thing?

Edit: Nvidia made up the definition of GPU to basically match their GeForce 256 new product launch. It also was a first for consumer inclusion of T&L into the graphics chip versus relying on software CPU work for this.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
So where the RIVA/TNT cards not classified as “GPUs” for some reason? Or does that just sort of inconveniently screw up the whole 21 day/year thing?

Edit: Nvidia made up the definition of GPU to basically match their GeForce 256 new product launch. It also was a first for consumer inclusion of T&L into the graphics chip versus relying on software CPU work for this.

Nvidia was the first company to popularize the term (Sony coined the term years earlier with the PS1) so they decided the definition.

"single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines"

Previous video cards did not have those abilities, so by definition, they were not GPU's. ATi actually coined a term themselves for their cards, VPU, but that never caught on, and everyone just calls them GPU's now.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
Ahah i was about to say "hey it's strange im pretty sure they did GPUs before the Geforce 256"

My second GPU was a RIVA TNT2 M64 , with a glorious 32mb of ram. perfect for wing commander IV !

(i don't remember the first, but i remember it was 4mb, and i played a lot of baldur's gate and fallout 1/2 on it !)

some marketing guy just made up this 21 days thing.
well, they could say it's 21 years for the GeForce brand

Last edited: