Nvidia Unleashes 'Release 256' Graphics Drivers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Heat is a concern if you don't live far up North, where 20~30C ambient is common. You may get an aftermarket cooler, and it would cool the card down, but you're still spilling the same heat into the room.

Concern for power consumption depends on where you live and how much electricity costs.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Hey, nVidia!

Just a video editor, here, who would love to see a 2XFERMI440(1GB) kit with a CUDA bridge (rather than SLI), for 4x 1920x1200 4 monitor editing. I'd pay $435 for the kit. Call it the GREEN GENIE GRAPHICS PRO KIT, targeting prosumer edit/graphics market.

jimslaid2

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Cool, I still have a almost 3 year old 8800 GT that will get some use out of this. It's a good thing most PC games are guilt with the xbox 360 sdk in mind. I can still play games at decent frames with good to excellent settings on hardware I haven't upgraded in about 3 years...

G

Heat produced by the video cards is pure ..... You don't have to live in Norway to get one of these cards.

First of all, all your overclocked Core i7 are outputting a lot more heat. Maybe you think it ain't so looking at the low temperatures you reached with the new, shiny aftermarket cooler. But thermodynamics isn't magic, and you can't make heat disappear. You can just move it somewhere else. And if you are cooling your whole PC on air, by your reasoning, you might be already ..... even with the coolest video card on the market. Oh, by the way, your fridge and your microwaves produce a lot more heat than your entire PC, so keep an eye on them!

Additionally, your PSU can produce a lot more heat than all the other components alone. This is true especially if you were cheap and bought a low-efficency PSU that wastes too much power as heat.

As for ambient temperature: 20°C is very low, usually only during Winter you get that low. Your PC will love that temp, regardless of what's inside it. 30°C is very high instead, and you will not tolerate that temperature very much. You can live with it, but you'll be better off cooling yourself first. If your ambient temperature is above 26°C you will need additional cooling for your room, or better cooling for your PC, regardless of what you are using.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]How many generations of "HOT" cards will we have to go through before ppl stfu about heat. If you don't like the heat, buy an aftermarket cooler, it's what enthusiasts do, it's what I do, and it's what you should do if you don't like high numbers in Celcius.Oh and by the way the grey screens are history bud, funny how fanboys from both sides try to act like their not the fanboys....I can't wait til the performance on both sides start to shine better, especially in dx11.[/citation]

You are way too stressed about such a small thing. All you have to say is just buy a hd5850 which has great preformance, price, benches, availability, low power requirments, dx11, and very very low heat.

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
really im happy for a new driver series now if they will get custom settings to save in 64bit os's ill be happy. My GTX 470 runs great and almost never over 65C

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]Give it some time and someone will make two GTX480's into a panini press.[/citation]

We'll need flexible SLI bridges before that happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.