News Nvidia Unveils Big Accelerator Memory: Solid-State Storage for GPUs

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
" improve the efficiency of GPU-to-SSD data transfers for games in a Windows environment, but Nvidia and its partners have found a way to make GPUs seamlessly work with SSDs without a proprietary API "
a friend just about spit his coffee out when i showed him this line. and said, yea this coming from someone who is pretty much the king of proprietary technology. he has high doubts Nvidia will share this with any one, and IF it does, it will more then likely, no be cheap.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I think it's about time we changed the naming and term of GPU since it can mean very different things now. While the technology may still be very much the same at the core, the functionality, as well as some of these newer technologies are obviously very specific to things NOT related to graphics acceleration, such as gaming and/or rendering and production. A lot of these technologies will never be seen in commercial products.

I am all for a "next big leap" (as gpu's not had any in awhile besides niche ray tracing) but question is...will it be used enoguh to make it worth it?

These only really benefit if companies make stuff that benefits from it.

Rather not having another "rtx" price hike for a feature thats not used often.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
For gaming, Microsoft's DirectStorage API still lacks the GPU implementation of gaming files decompression that will ease the CPU load (but will also increase GPU load), with most gamers having 1TB to 2TB NVMe SSD, there should be enough space on the SSD for an uncompressed game files folder, to load the files directly from it to the VRAM. This can be implemented NOW without buying new hardware with the existing DirectStorage API without loading the GPU and the CPU.

Geef

Distinguished
Bah they just need to throw an M.2 slot on the back of the graphics card! Gamers would have no problem buying themselves a new M.2 drive JUST for their massively expensive graphics card. :ROFLMAO: