Nvidia Uses Cartoon to Tease Intel Larrabee Delay

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spathi

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Larrabee was 1TFlops, Larrabee 2 is going to be more.
ATI and NVidea don't have TFlops yet, that they have shown.

If Intel released Larrabee now they would have to bail out NVidea or ATI or both. Nobody really wants that in reality, not even Intel, maybe they have to wait until there is real competition. They could release a gimped Larrabee, but that would be annoying.

banthracis

Distinguished
While who's on top changes from generation to generation, I'm pretty sure this is the first time in the GPU industry that a company has released a competitive GPU line and had the opposition so unwilling/unable to lower their prices to be competitive, that the first company decides to initiate a 20% price hike and is still be the better buy.

atticus052

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Keep in mind all you fans of ATI and Nvidia, Intel and AMD. While I too have my prefered brands, they are infact staggering their launches by a good 6 months between projects and soon Nvidia will have it's 300 series which will cream ATI for a few months. In the end, this constant yo-yo in the market is what drives our latest and greates technologies makes the free market just that much of a better place for us, the consumer.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]atticus052[/nom]Keep in mind all you fans of ATI and Nvidia, Intel and AMD. While I too have my prefered brands, they are infact staggering their launches by a good 6 months between projects and soon Nvidia will have it's 300 series which will cream ATI for a few months. In the end, this constant yo-yo in the market is what drives our latest and greates technologies makes the free market just that much of a better place for us, the consumer.[/citation]
I know what you mean by 6 months cycle, but it doesn't actually hold!
Nvidia made a TNT2 card that was really good until the Geforce 2 - which was only truely beat by the x800 that was beat by the geforce 7800 cards - these were beat by the 8800 which were on top until hd4870 last year, and amd has had the lead since.
Those aren't the top cards I've listed, but those actually being bought. So essentially in the last 10 years the lead shifted from Matrox+3DFX combo to nvidia once (tnt1), then to ati, back to nvidia and now back to ati again last year. That's not exactly a huge yo-yo effect. In cpu's it's the same story really. Intel from the beginning and until the athlon 64 really, and then back to intel with the core 2 and with the prices for phenom 2 I'd argue i5 a better value so basicly it's shifted 3 times. (overclockers might count athlon as an amd lead, but most of the world doesn't overclock).

Besides the 6 months schedule is truely a 12 months. First you invent the high end, then you invent the low end 6 months later. First then do you introduce the next generation. And just like amd when a64 hit just sat back and relaxed - so did nvidia when the g80 hit. Basicly they're rebranded a geforce 8 series to 9, to 200 and now to 300 series .... an architecture from 2006 is still in production ... in the it world almost unheard of .... so 6 months? naa

I found this funny. Intel did just release their GPU and CPU offing, i3 and i5's. They don't really impress me as far as graphics go, but I think it is a step in the right direction. I can see this being a BIG benefit in the desktop/workstation arena for NON gaming or heavy graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.