Nvidia Wants to Make its Chips Inside Intel's Factories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]A possible Intel Nvidia merge?[/citation]

Not a chance. I don't think intel will go for it.

G

Haha. I'll tell ya what Nvidia. Use my oven, bake me a couple of chips and then leave.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Intel wants to move up in the GPU game, and there's plenty of room for more competitors. AMD buying ATI was a move of necessity, AMD couldn't produce anything in the integrated or discrete graphics area. Intel buying nVidia? Not a chance.

jamsbong

Distinguished
May 7, 2002
Nvidia is really proactive in merging Hardware with optimised software, much like the moto of Apple but a lot more open and cheaper. Of course, I do hope Nvidia improves their bad quality hardware as they are well-known to have faulty hardware from day1 usage.

Other companies like ATI, AMD and Intel should be more proactive about getting Dev to use their hardware.

G

With AMD abandoning the high end CPU market, almost all high end gpus are going into systems with Intel CPUs, so Intel working with Nvidia to put out those GPUs does not seem that far fetched.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
This entire article could have been summarized in the following two lines:

"Nvidia hints at wanting to make its chips in Intel factories.

Intel: NO! GO AWAY!"

papaspud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
“Our process technology is a huge advantage going forward in 2012 and 2013, so our focus at this time is on building Intel products, not on building products for our competitors.”

So- no Intel is using their manufacturing muscle for their own projects and profits. Would love to see nVidia products on a 14 nm scale.....sweet.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomshardware[/nom] However, Intel typically only supports organizations that it believes can helps its bottom line and increase demand for Intel processors.[/citation] If thats the case then Nvidia should have been offer up their graphics technology to integrate Nvidia GPU into Sandy/Ivy bridge or future Intel CPU? After all the only reason people going for AMD APU is their GPU performance which Intel are lacking horribly.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Intel won't do it because that means the enemy chip will make it in time to be competitive with theirs.
Its better off for delays for the competitors.

ramon1

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Will never happen, Huang will demand to become The Master of the Universe...sorry...the CEO of the new company.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
If you remember correctly, Nvidia would want to lead in a merger if they merged with anyone. When AMD looked at buying Nvidia, the only reason they bought ATI was because Nvidia would only do it if they lead the whole company after the merger. Intel giving leadership to Nvidia is not going to happen, so there are no chances of a Nvidia merger with Intel.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Intel merging with NVidia will have anti-trust written all over it. It won't happen, not at the market share Intel possesses in desktop CPUs.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
I don't get it...the title says nVidia hints at using Intel fabs to solve Kepler production issues, but then goes on to say that Intel won't do it because they don't want to help a company make competing products, referring to ARM chips used in entry-level notebooks. Kepler and ARM are two different things. Kepler products do not compete with Intel products in anyway. Do they really think pumping out GTX 680s is going to hurt sales of their HD4000 IGPs?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]starcraftmazter[/nom]Who wouldn't want to use Intel's fab factories? Honestly, AMD would jump at the opportunity[/citation]

It's like Ford having Toyota manufacturing their cars.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]It's like Ford having Toyota manufacturing their cars.[/citation]
Actually there's plenty of car companies that team up to produce a vehicle, like GM & Suzuki both producing Geo, Toyota & Chevy... & plenty of other companies, one makes the engine & the other makes the body! makes perfect sense to me.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
As interesting as a merging of the two might be, I seriously doubt it would happen. I love both companies but they both seem to be very adamant when it comes to the purchasing of/merging with another company. Not to mention that if two powerhouses like Nvidia and intel started working together I doubt it would go to far as the FCC would probably fear a monoply much like they did when AT&T attempted to purchase T-mobile.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Brandon S[/nom]That would make two great companies even greater![/citation]

It would be anti-competitive, so I don't like it. Both are doing extremely well in their fields, and they compete in the mobile space with Tegra vs Atom. Losing that would hurt consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.