Nvidia Will Unify Desktop, Laptop Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Bolbi[/nom]So, they're playing catch-up to ATI (who started this type of program with the March Catalyst 10.3 drivers).[/citation] ATI did something good a few months earlier, but you think Nvidia shouldn't have bother to do the same when it was smart and easy enough to do so? Congrats it's clear you love ATI from the waist down now go troll in another forum.

pratkal

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]if its the same computer with the two cards, did you make sure to use drivercleaner in safe mode to get rid of all of the NV drivers before adding the 5970, that can cause issues sometimesthough if you want to talk about personal experience, i have a 4870 (now 2x4870) and have never had a driver crash (or even instability with the GPU)[/citation]

its kinda lame to compare a duel gpu driver with single gpu driver offcourse a single gpu driver will always win even if u decide to compare HD 5870 with GTX 295...

[citation][nom]drowned[/nom]Can't actually, if I try anything > 180 series on my 7150m I get BSODs. I really hope nvidia stretches back that far with these unified drivers, but I doubt it.[/citation]

Depends on what architecture that 7150 is based on - may not be a real 7 series etc, sounds IGP related too...

jd91651

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
Well IT'S ABOUT TIME!!
I bought a Sager 9260 A few years back. It was intended to replace my desktop at the time (which it eventually did).
It would BSOD once or twice a week. Event log always implicated the video drivers as the problem.
I went to nvidia's site and got updated drivers only to be told during the aborted install that the OEM had to supply them.
After the 3 months with no update from the OEM and no word that they ever would provide new drivers I finally discovered a few
places similar to laptoptogo and got new ones. It took 4 different versions and trys before I finally got one that worked. Worse I had
to develop my own process for installing them since the standard installer would only install them for one of the two gtx 7950's in sli and leave the other one as an unknown device. So this driver thing is way over due.
Oh and eventually that 9260 became a good computer. I've never had another crash on the system since but I'll never forget or forgive for the hassle I went through over that one and I'll never buy another one ... EVER.
By the way for those of you who don't have a notebook or never tried to update video drivers on a notebook stuff like closing the lid and going to sleep and other features like that are all built into the video drivers. Point is they are different than desktop drivers in many respects.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well, NVIDIA has been running the UDA program (Unified Driver Architechure) for a while now. For laptop GPUs, it's possible to use desktop drivers but a few of the laptop only features might get disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.