News Nvidia's 'Ampere Next' GPU Is Coming in 2022

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
True LolaGT, I gave up even looking at what's next considering you cant buy anything current at a reasonable price. I'm not financing scalpers so why bother. Sad state of the industry who as long as they are making money do nothing for the user base that made them. This could all be fixed by allowing email reservations at least at retail that assured regular users could buy a single or dual cards and no more.

Reactions: bigdragon

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
While they are trying, last time I checked they were still only up to September 2020 reservations on the list.
I signed up for a 3060Ti a couple months ago, but they will be releasing the RTX 4000 series by the time I'd get notified.

Thank god for EVGA...forever loyal to that company. Most fair system of purchasing GPUs in the business!

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
While they are trying, last time I checked they were still only up to September 2020 reservations on the list.
I signed up for a 3060Ti a couple months ago, but they will be releasing the RTX 4000 series by the time I'd get notified.

It's better than nothing. Next time sign on release day. I've gotten a EVGA 3080 FTW 3 and a Kingpin...yes a Kingpin!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
No point in even covering graphics news anymore given that you can't buy GPUs. I find myself completely deterred from other system upgrades too because of all the ongoing stock issues. Expenses are high, but some parts being completely unavailable kills the PC building hobby for me. Nvidia can announce and launch whatever they want -- doesn't matter until the supply chain is fixed.

Thank god for EVGA...forever loyal to that company. Most fair system of purchasing GPUs in the business!
Disagree. EVGA is dumping too many of their products on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and other sites. EVGA isn't prioritizing the notify queue, which has led to completely ridiculous waits. Being on a waitlist for 6+ months is not acceptable when the same product randomly gets dumped on Amazon long enough for stock tracker bots to flag the drop, but not long enough for a customer to check out. I'm tired of waiting.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Disagree. EVGA is dumping too many of their products on Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and other sites. EVGA isn't prioritizing the notify queue, which has led to completely ridiculous waits. Being on a waitlist for 6+ months is not acceptable when the same product randomly gets dumped on Amazon long enough for stock tracker bots to flag the drop, but not long enough for a customer to check out. I'm tired of waiting.
Can't really agree but it is odd that whenever there are cards they are either on retailers for ridiculous prices or on other platform, again, for ridiculous prizes. Meanwhile, according to the european spreadsheet, there is a delay of about 5 months just for the 3090 ftw 3 ultra, can't say much for the rest of the models but the sheet is public so check it out.

As long as there is mining and Nvidia releases mining GPUs that have a terrible hash mining capability per dollar they will come for the gaming gpus. They apparently are done with the 3090 and 3080 because of prices, 3090 availability dropped alot, so I am guess all the chips are going into 3060s and 3070s that still have a price margin to make profit of. After that even mining stops consuming until new cards are out or prices drop which means no GPUs for gamers.

Just give them their goddamn mining gpus so we can coexist you green greedy idiots!

jpe1701

Honorable
I'm going to do with my GPUs the same thing I do with my games, and that's just live 2 years behind current. I always wait for games to be old so the price is low so now I'll just wait and buy old gen graphics cards instead of the latest too.

Reactions: LolaGT
Do you know how it feels to tell clients they can't get that new shiny RTX 3000 series GPU in their system? They tell you you're bad at your job and they call someone else.

I cannot wait for this to be over if it is one day.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm going to do with my GPUs the same thing I do with my games, and that's just live 2 years behind current. I always wait for games to be old so the price is low so now I'll just wait and buy old gen graphics cards instead of the latest too.
With even the GTX1050 selling at close to double its MSRP today, you would need to look at old-old-old-gen cards (900-series) to start seeing more decent prices.

Ampere --- / Previous Previous Previous is getting quite old.

I'll be crossing my fingers hoping that all the new fabs and fab upgrades coming online in 2022-2023 will be enough to catch up with demand.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
With even the GTX1050 selling at close to double its MSRP today, you would need to look at old-old-old-gen cards (900-series) to start seeing more decent prices.

Ampere --- / Previous Previous Previous is getting quite old.

I'll be crossing my fingers hoping that all the new fabs and fab upgrades coming online in 2022-2023 will be enough to catch up with demand.
As long as mining on a GPU remains profitable, there will never be a enough capacity to meet demand. Doesn't help that consumer level GPU's aren't really a priority for anyone either. Nvidia would rather sell $10,000+ HPC gpu's than an $800 3080 and AMD would rather sell far more profitable Epyc CPU's than gaming GPU's.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Demand will ultimately be limited by available power and warehouse space if not by governments banning mining altogether, be it for tax, legal, infrastructure or environmental reasons. It will cap out sooner or later.
Are a couple new fabs going to get us there? Industry wide demand is soaring. Apple is moving all their CPU's from Intel to TSMC. What happens if Nvidia wants to move their consumer GPU's back to TSMC? Things aren't exactly swimming along nicely with Samsung. We can't pin our hopes on Intel. Their DG2 GPU's are getting produced at TSMC.

InvalidError

Titan
We can't pin our hopes on Intel. Their DG2 GPU's are getting produced at TSMC.
That is only a stopgap measure until its two new 7nm fabs (likely going to be comparable to TSMC's 5nm) are up and running, likely to be followed by Intel upgrading some of its other fabs to 7nm as it migrates stuff over to the new fabs. TSMC and Samsung have new and upgraded fabs on their way too, millions more chips there. That's why I'm not expecting things to get significantly better until late-2022/early-2023 - when many of the new fabs and upgrades will come online for production.

All of this new capacity needs to bring fabs at least 10% ahead of demand so manufacturers can afford sufficient down-time for proper scheduled maintenance.