Nvidia's Ansel: Capture Images From Within Your Games Like Never Before

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why would I want to put instagram-style filters to my game screenshots? Why even take game screenshots? Honestly, who is interested in watching random gamer's game screenshots? More nvidia proprietary crap that game devs need to bake support in. Who still remembers physX? That went well.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
It's used to view images in VR. what's so hard to understand? I do agree it's stupid to make a deal out ofvthis, but nvidia will brag about anything they can...

Afess5

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Does this also have video recording capability? I feel it would be a blessing (pending on the camera controls) for those who like to make custom trailers/short epic videos about a certain game. Not all games have a camera system, and if they do, they're often not meant to be overly cinematic.

Afess5

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Does this also have video recording capability? I feel it would be a blessing (pending on the camera controls) for those who like to make custom trailers/short epic videos about a certain game. Not all games have a camera system, and if they do, they're often not meant to be overly cinematic.

Afess5

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why would I want to put instagram-style filters to my game screenshots? Why even take game screenshots? Honestly, who is interested in watching random gamer's game screenshots? More nvidia proprietary crap that game devs need to bake support in. Who still remembers physX? That went well.

Did you also say that about twitch.

Why would anyone ever want to just watch another person play a game? Honestly, who is interested in watching random people give commentary on games?

Just saying....

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'm interested in this purely for 360° screenshots. I don't understand why any of this needs to be proprietary though. It would be in Nvidia's best interest to open-source tiny things like this in order to regain some lost reputation from all the *other* proprietary stuff they keep releasing.

Right now they have a decent lead with their hardware, especially with Pascal. Unless they expect AMD to slug them hard with Polaris, they should focus on reputation above anything.

My napkin math shows that a 61,440 x 34,560 image would take about 6.3 gigabytes of space, without compression of course.

Not too shabby for being in the range of an entire dvd movie.

Edit: With 24 bit color

DavidGX_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Seems like a very silly way to introduce yet another proprietary Nvidia thing. I want my PC to be a PC, not an Nvidia console. No thanks.

Sensi23

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
The hypocrisy and nonsense of the whiners there, if i had to guess some competitor card manufacturer fanbois turning sour to the fact that they may be unable to use it, is showing.

@ cinergy
Physx has been used in many if not most AAA games for the last decade, not sure where you invented it going bad.

Sensi23

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Screenshots of games will continue to be as honest as their publishers, if they do want to fake them -asking to be sued/disgracing themselves and their future reputation- there they will just be able to do so without the photoshop phase.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
The hypocrisy and nonsense of the whiners there, if i had to guess some competitor card manufacturer fanbois turning sour to the fact that they may be unable to use it, is showing.

@ cinergy
Physx has been used in many if not most AAA games for the last decade, not sure where you invented it going bad.

no one will touch the full extent of physx, the last game i remember that even tried was borderlands, the most it's used for is VERY light calculations, and whenever its put in a game, lets say project cars, its tweaked to kill amd performance,

this is at the very least interesting, wish nvidia would open source their stuff, but the company is so scummy that i wont touch their hardware if there is a viable option.

Jefferzon

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

That is why it is pure speculation.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

thats based on the price of the 280-285 and 380-380x
based on the 380 and 380x price sku, it could actually be closer to 200-250$, but im just lowering it to 200-350$ range now, i didn't realise the 380 was so cheap.

I was interested until they said game devs have to add support. I would be fine if Nvidia did the legwork to get this to work on every game but wanting every dev to work on a feature that's only on Nvidia cards is stupid.

Something that could be really good but is unlikely thanks to Nvidia shoehorning it.

So does this mean that screenshots on Steam are about to get even less representative of the actual look of some games?

No because at the end of the article it states that the game has to support this specific Nvidia only feature. You know Nvidia, they love to do whatever they can to screw devs and AMD over. Not one good thing has ever come out of Nvidia's proprietary tech, especially GameWorks.

Status
Not open for further replies.