News Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 20GB GPU Is Real After All

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
why is this even being called a 3080 ti at this point? sure, you get 8gb more vram than the 12gb Ti, but you get a reduced memory bus and memory bandwidth which will impact performance. this is just another sku to spread thin an already constrained supply of ampere dies

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
This is more like the 3080 20GB version, than the 3080Ti with 20GB.
It's clear this was the canceled version, which still got made in some minor quantity, before being canceled.

This happening is an aberration and I don't expect it will be actually officially launched.

When/if the Super refresh comes we will (possibly) see updates to Vram, but not until then.

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
As things are, the only way prices will drop, is if people refuse to buy at inflated prices. As long as people keep paying the scalper's profit margins, they'll keep buying every card they can, even as supply improves. No business can sell goods at prices the public won't pay, so don't pay the scalper premium.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I don't care anymore even if this could let you play Crysis at 8K @ 120 fps(on an imaginary monitor, with an imaginary DP/HDMI standard, over imaginary cable). At this point it is ALL unobtanium. I have the money, but it would be just as pointless to buy at those prices as affording a $100 chewing gum. Nothing is worth at those prices, not even second hand, old generations now cost their release retail prices or more. F those b**tards, only buy a VC if your old one dies and when crypto crashes(because affording the emissions of a whole country just to reward some nerds with money for letting their PCs solve imaginary problems ain't gonna fly, banning crypto mining is just the easiest greenhouse emission reduction ever) demand the MSRP(at retail) prices AMD and Nvidia announced when they launched their latest generations.

Same bus width as the RTX 3080 but with the slightly slower boost speeds of the RTX 3080 Ti.

Seems it will be slightly slower than the other 3080s right up until the available memory (either 10GB or 12GB) gets exhausted on the others - then it will shine. Not a bad card for the long term as the 20GBs will ensure that performance doesn't fall off a cliff when games start regularly using 12+GBs of VRAM at ultra settings. (I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn use 9.5+GBs VRAM in just the beginning tutorial area at ultra settings and 1440p)

Unfortunately these Ti cards MSRP's should be only slightly higher than the original FE RTX 3080. <sigh>
I know scalper/miner prices are double MSRP, but MSRP is always used as a base multiplier for pricing. NVIDIA (and AIB mfgs.) put their greed on full display when they released the RTX 3080 Ti with a 71% price increase for only 12% performance increase (average).

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Another vaporware release--although apparently nVidia has yet to actually announce it, formally. No doubt about it: in 2021 Vaporware is King...;) Such a joy to read about GPUs you cannot buy, or GPUs you won't buy even if you can find them because of prices tailored for the pocketbooks of idiots.

Reactions: Matt_ogu812
What a time to be a PC gamer. Remember when a 1080Ti at 700 was the high end. I now envy consoles gamers that can get a console near MSRP, which is much more doable, and just enjoy most games 4K30 or even 60fps.
Or a few at 120fps

However 4K on console does not look as good as pc. I have a Series X and RTX3080, the Series X is very impressive for its price but in the same games there is still a noticeable improvement in detail/quality of the pc versions. It is comparing apples and oranges even if both say 4K 60fps.

Reactions: artk2219

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Or a few at 120fps

However 4K on console does not look as good as pc. I have a Series X and RTX3080, the Series X is very impressive for its price but in the same games there is still a noticeable improvement in detail/quality of the pc versions. It is comparing apples and oranges even if both say 4K 60fps.
Isn't it redundant to have both a good PC and an XSX?
I could understand the case of having both, if your PC would be old/outdated, but I don't get it in your case...

Good PC with PS5 is the best combo if you ask me, best of both worlds.

Isn't it redundant to have both a good PC and an XSX?
I could understand the case of having both, if your PC would be old/outdated, but I don't get it in your case...

Good PC with PS5 is the best combo if you ask me, best of both worlds.
I prefer PC for my FPS and Racing games but many do not support crossplay and some friends play XBox only. Where crossplay is supported it is good to have the wife on the XBox and I use the PC while we play with friends. I also get a lot of benefit from Game Pass Ultimate and while the PC looks better on the 4k 120Hz TV it is more convenient for a quick game to use the XBox instead of moving the PC from its setup in my office/man cave.

TheAlmightyProo

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Same bus width as the RTX 3080 but with the slightly slower boost speeds of the RTX 3080 Ti.

Seems it will be slightly slower than the other 3080s right up until the available memory (either 10GB or 12GB) gets exhausted on the others - then it will shine. Not a bad card for the long term as the 20GBs will ensure that performance doesn't fall off a cliff when games start regularly using 12+GBs of VRAM at ultra settings. (I've seen Horizon Zero Dawn use 9.5+GBs VRAM in just the beginning tutorial area at ultra settings and 1440p)

Unfortunately these Ti cards MSRP's should be only slightly higher than the original FE RTX 3080. <sigh>
I know scalper/miner prices are double MSRP, but MSRP is always used as a base multiplier for pricing. NVIDIA (and AIB mfgs.) put their greed on full display when they released the RTX 3080 Ti with a 71% price increase for only 12% performance increase (average).

6800XT owner here. HZD is a great game, very likely to end up in my top games or at least open worlders ever (and the backstory/lore is top sci-fi writing too) I can tell you that once out of the beginning of the game the load only gets harder.
Anyway, maxing it out at 3400x1440 with that 6800XT (with 5800X, 32Gb 3600MHz RAM) gets me 90-100 fps averaging 13-13.5Gb VRAM use. Given an hour or so to back and forth with game settings, Radeon software and tests... I could probably tweak those figures around a bit with little real loss to gameplay, but still I'm ok left with a 3Gb overhead, possibly enough to do me ok should I give 4K a go, even if I may have to cap fps. Drivers are absolutely fine, power draw and temps a decent snip under a 3080. Btw as for the RAM the game uses 15-16Gb, so glad I went a little ott with that.

I did wonder how the 3080's 10Gb (a bit faster but comparably less of it overall even so imo) at least would do or match that but there is a very smart reason or two as to why I chose AMD CPU or GPU this year for the first time in a decade or so...
As for DLSS, and RT, neither are yet a tenth as ubiquitous as they'd need to be a factor deciding a buy imo (and now we have FSR which has every chance and reason to overtake DLSS) Nvidia's VRAM allowance is also on the low side. If I didn't know better I'd swear that it seems Nvidia are hedging their performance/longevity bets on DLSS making the difference... but I know Nvidia don't care about such things.
Possibly the biggest reason, the cut off point anyway, was the price differences. I had to buy from a legit store/site... but still subject to the idea that MSRP is a myth (well, tbh it's never been a concrete principle, when I managed to secure my premium 1070 for £450 five years ago, a similar model/tier 1080 was £8-900... so much for MSRP) Anyway, £1200 for my premium 6800XT, against £1800 for base/ref 3080's, up to £2400 for top ones, 3-4 grand for 3090's... and still £1300 as a starting price for 3070's... Also, AMD had some reasonable availability at least. That was in April/May and little has changed of the ratios at least.

So yeah, Nvidia pretty much made a third of the choice for me, the ongoing price madness another third... but that shouldn't undercut AMD's achievement in equalling Nvidia at the top for the first time in a long time (and that after doing the same to Intel) that's the other third that completes a very nice whole indeed.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I am not sure if the memory bandwidth tradeoff is worth it or not. Although I can understand why it has to be reduced. There is no workaround or this.

Each RAM chip has 32bits. So, for the 12GB version they use 12 x 512MB = 12GB x 384bit. The only way to get 20GB is to have 10 x 1GB = 20GB x 320bit. They cannot have 24GB since this will make it the same as 3090.

I suspect the 3080ti 20GB will eventually replace the 12GB version. Then there are rumours for a 3090 super. This may be the full 10752 cores with 24GB. This should allow a bitt difference between 3080ti and 3090 Super.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I prefer PC for my FPS and Racing games but many do not support crossplay and some friends play XBox only. Where crossplay is supported it is good to have the wife on the XBox and I use the PC while we play with friends. I also get a lot of benefit from Game Pass Ultimate and while the PC looks better on the 4k 120Hz TV it is more convenient for a quick game to use the XBox instead of moving the PC from its setup in my office/man cave.
Alright, I understand now.

Are you planning to get a PS5 too, or you don't like their games?

geogan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
"The GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and GeForce RTX 3090 have a $1,199 and $1,499 MSRP, respectively "

Yeah right, sure they will!

I paid way more than $1,199 for just a Gigabyte Aorus 3070 FFS :mad:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
There are no PS5 exclusives that make me want to buy the console. I don’t think it would get used enough.
I understand the feeling as I have the exact feeling, but towards Xbox. Zero interest in it or GP. PC + PS is the way for me.

My kind of games are mostly Sony exclusives: Bloodborne, HZD and HFW, GoW, Demon's Souls, etc all the good ones. If I can get them on PC, I get them there of course (like Dark Souls and all the Souls clones and the upcoming Elden Ring), if not PS is the way.

MS has no games like that. I'm still waiting for the 1st next gen/new one from MS to impress me.

And GP means zero to me, because I like to own my games and I don't like subscriptions. Also a lot of games are worse on GP than the regular bought versions (like updates are late, some GP related bugs/errors), so nah, hard pass.

But hey to each their own, as long as everyone is happy with their choice and gaming ecosystem...

6800XT owner here. HZD is a great game, very likely to end up in my top games or at least open worlders ever (and the backstory/lore is top sci-fi writing too) I can tell you that once out of the beginning of the game the load only gets harder.
Anyway, maxing it out at 3400x1440 with that 6800XT (with 5800X, 32Gb 3600MHz RAM) gets me 90-100 fps averaging 13-13.5Gb VRAM use. Given an hour or so to back and forth with game settings, Radeon software and tests... I could probably tweak those figures around a bit with little real loss to gameplay, but still I'm ok left with a 3Gb overhead, possibly enough to do me ok should I give 4K a go, even if I may have to cap fps. Drivers are absolutely fine, power draw and temps a decent snip under a 3080. Btw as for the RAM the game uses 15-16Gb, so glad I went a little ott with that.
Through some selling and buying I recently obtained a new reference RX 6900 XT for a 'net' cost below MSRP. I haven't had a chance to tweak performance much as I'm on vacation. Hopefully, I'll be able to tune it nicely in the next couple weeks.

What are you using to see VRAM usage? From what I've seen, Special K (Dirext X framework) is the closest to 'actually used' not just allocated. That's what I used when I saw 9.5GBs in just the tutorial area. Also, VRAM usage isn't an exponential increase from 1080p to 2160p. There are many factors that result in the particular VRAM usage of a particular game at a particular resolution and quality setting. I look at the 16GBs of VRAM as gaming insurance more than anything else. Performance shouldn't abruptly drop off a cliff due to running out of VRAM. My RX 6900 XT should grow old gracefully and still be a good card 5+ years down the road. ;)