Nvidia's ''Project Denver'' is to Make a PC CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Well, they could probably make a pretty sweet tablet with it.

It should also have some pretty good crunching power with the right amount of CUDA cores supplementing the ARM processor.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]nvidia products just aren't reliable and stable long term, this is of no interest to me what so ever, no thankyou[/citation]
Yes it is. You commented.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I think this could work. Arm is a leaner platform, instruction set wise, which means less coding assuming you can port or design what you need to give users the experience/performance they want. I can see this working well in the usual (consoles/phones/etc) but also in the server market where some people are promoting physicalization over virtualization or in some cases a combination therof to increase throughput and parallelism without raising TCO, still many issues in that sector, but i`m still excited to see what is actually brought to fruition.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]But... I don't understand what ARM CPU technology has to do with an "Internet Everywhere" era...[/citation]

Flip your thinking around. ARM does not drive the internet, but the internet drives ARM. What do people care most about today in computing? Getting to the internet. Symbian, Windows, OSX, Linux, Android matter, but not like they used to. The OS has become a checkbox of your preference, not the driver of your purchasing decision. ARM had a big roadblock in no Windows compatability, but the Internet wormed it's way around the roadblock.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I don't see a lot of payback for they're efforts for some time since building a CPU from the ground up is not cheap. I would prefer Nvidia put their efforts into building something they are good at like processors for graphics processing in other devices like cameras, camcorders, TV playback devices or game consoles.
Also a good project for Nvidia is working on power efficiency for their GPU's since GPU power consumption is getting out of hand! (AMD as well)

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Would be a lot better if they were going to compete in the X86 market, that would help the everyday Johnny a lot more than an ARM chip that is basically confined to all-in-one's and tablets.

[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]You din't watch the Microsoft keynote yesterday...they demonstrate Windows 8 on ARM (and others) technologies. Office 2010 need to be recompiled to support this CPU, but there are other applications working without any change.And its fast!!!![/citation]

Well, I haven't watched the keynote either, but I have to say this raises an enormous amount of questions. What about the x86 instruction set extensions (SSE)? If windows 8 supports ARM, will it require specific developer support for ARM/X86? Is backwards compatibility even possible? Is win8 using a VM-like enviroment, such as java, to make this possible? It's definitely good news, but still very vague.

G

come on now folks, it wasn't that long ago that we had win2k for the alpha platform, which is more or less an ARM chip, and then there are the SPARC stations, ARM based CPU do have some teeth to them, they weren't chips invented just for the mobile platform, in fact if i recall ARM had supported 64bit computing well before x86, in fact alot of their micro architecture was absorbed into intel and AMD offering to help boost performance

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
techcurious, internet everywhere has to do with some degree of processing power and above all mobility (=energy efficiency), and that's where ARM excels and where intel tries to get to with Atom. The fact of being an open standard also helps to boost the market share (other devices already offered internet everywhere in some capped way). Mobility and battery capacity / time is what forces the ratio of processing power vs energy used: so to get internet everywhere you need a CPU with some horsepower and an energy footprint ratio. The CPU closest to this ratio is called ARM (if it wouldn't exist, internet everywhere would require to invent such a CPU). To use this CPU in other environments you would need to improve horsepower: by using more cores, adding GPUs and other dedicated processing blocks. With Sandy Bridge (12 intel GPU Cores = Ati5450, 24 = Ati5550, 48 cores on a dedicated graphics chip could drive a new intel graphics card ?), and Fussion on the horizon, perhaps is the only move NVidia can do to survive in a middle term view...

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hey Nvidia, How bout a RISC based microcontroller (integrated RAM, BIOS, and NANDflash) of suitable power for use in a netbook?

That would impress me.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
The Wright Bro's didn't just create a jet engine over night because they wanted to fly, it took time. It's much like a lunch lady trying to fix a city transformer, not happening without a little practice and research.

And for all the ppl talking about ARM being weak that article states....
Nvidia plans to build high-performance ARM-based CPU cores

angela1130

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Nvidia is now envying AMD.
Facepalm

Keep dreaming, I won't ever buy an nvidia cpu for the single reason that nvidia is a hell of a scammer company.
GT 220, gt 320, gt 420, gt 520 all the same shit graphic card.

f-14

Distinguished
mobile every where forcing competition every where since it is the fastest growing new segment that is even stealing market share from established markets and making others obsolete.
ARM and Chrome are making it possible to never have to be tied to a desk or an office. who really loves their windowless cubicle? Agoraphobiacs
the future of business is on the move. quite literally. mobile phones were only the first step.
Microsoft has to change and adapt now to compete with Chrome unless they want to get shut out of the mobile market. (okay not shut out but stuck in the position as Nvidia with Intel m/b's)
Intel is doing it's best to shut out Nvidia and become self suffcient. in effort to become the ATI of business computing?
Nvidia is moving on in effort to not only survive but pay back Intel by putting the hurt on Intels Atom platforms and moving into the future which might turn their fortunes around to be sitting at the top while AMD and Intel duke it out in a declining market, fixed location computing.
i am interested just for the fact i wonder how much Nvidia thinks they can speed up the ARM CPU with out it turning into a bank account drain/serial battery killer.
their graphics chips and Tegra don't represent much hope, but where there is a will there is a way?
"and now we play the waiting game..."

Lutfij

Titan
this just leads me to ask, is intel ever going to cut prices once nvidia have ventured into the CPU market?...I'm getting tired of all the hardware running on intel - we need diversity.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
How long you think ARM will last? CPU is getting a remake soon, it's at its tipping point once Moore's law is kicked out of the window. CPU gates will use light thus increase the Ghz push beyond 10Ghz by using a fraction of todays Thermal Power Design. what happens if this gets integrated into Quantum CPU.; a new Architectural breed of CPU.

Good bye ARM if it can't adopt.

Software can adapt to any hardware that it wants to take advantage of. Its just a matter of money investing. Spend small and slow down revolution and reap big gains as much as possible before move on. "Milk it as long as they can" while watching their competitors next move.

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Of course you compared all the low end cards over mid or high end.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, the internet is everywhere nowadays. What's sad is that the computer for this generation has been thought of as a way to access the internet and not the true powerhouse it really is. Also what are the differences between ARM and x86 and why are ARM CPUs so much smaller?

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
What's wrong with the Linux OS anyway, this might revolutionize Linux gaming. Then we say "bye bye" Windows

[citation][nom]juliom[/nom]Should they succeed, they will be confined to Linux based systems, I don't think Microsoft will port Windows 7/8 to ARM anytime soon.[/citation]

bob-cat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
But... I don't understand what ARM CPU technology has to do with an "Internet Everywhere" era
Afaik ARM will allow building a lowpower minipad with full power of a desktop OS. So anyone can access Internet while laying on his back in a sofa.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
[citation][nom]tu_illegalamigo[/nom]I think this could work. Arm is a leaner platform, instruction set wise, which means less coding assuming you can port or design what you need to give users the experience/performance they want. I can see this working well in the usual (consoles/phones/etc) but also in the server market where some people are promoting physicalization over virtualization or in some cases a combination therof to increase throughput and parallelism without raising TCO, still many issues in that sector, but i`m still excited to see what is actually brought to fruition.[/citation]

Yeah, but seems like every attempt to bring RISC processors to desktops have met with failure other than PowerPC, and even that has been ditched by Apple for x86 as well.. it will be a tough road I think. I'd love to switch to a RISC processor but none of my games would run on it, and I doubt I'd be able to emulate it nicely.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I hope they don't drop the ball on the GPUs though. I'm kinda getting tired of seeing the same 8800 rebranded over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.