News Nvidia's RTX 4080 Tops Newegg's List of Best-Selling GPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hannibal

Distinguished
If this is true... I can see how much 5080 is gonna cost...

"The most popular GPU is 4080 with msrp $1200 and real price $1600. Morons! We can ask $1999 for 5080 next year! Oh and order me new leather jacket! I need a new one!"

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
But don't folks see? That's what Nvidia and AMD want; to coerce customers towards the higher margin product. Playing right into their hands...
If they buy 4080 or 7900XT, that's fine too - they still win.
Buy retail RTX 30 or RX 6000, you help them clear overstock - still a win.
The SNAFU/TARFU continues.
Seems to me this way too. Not that I mind, though. It's a commercial business, not a charity, so it's only fair for them to make as much out of it as possible.

Although, playing DL2 at 4K now, I find it somewhat ridiculous that I only get about 90 FPS with DLSS Balanced. Something went wrong somewhere... But that's 100% the game's fault.

I keep reading articles and comments about "Stores and Warehouses Overflowing with unsold 4080 video cards". I have been tracking the 4080s and 4090s on Newegg and Best Buy, daily, several times a day since launch. The 4090s immediately sold out and I have yet to see a single one on sale for Retail Price. The 4080s pop up for a few hours every now and then, (one time it was 2 days) and then go out of stock. (Once Again I am Talking Retail Prices). Where are these "Warehouses and Stores", ( in the US ), that can't sell their overstock of 4080s? The 7900 XTX sold out immediately and I can't find any for sale at Retail. The 7900 XT is readily available, (Multiple Models), at Retail. Why would you buy the XT when the XTX is only 100 more?
These "Sales Numbers" are largely meaningless. If a product comes out and Demand Outstrips Supply then sales are limited to Supply. It would appear that the 4090 and the 7900 XTX will not be readily available for months. Hopefully I am wrong. These are really nice Graphics Cards and I hope AMD and Nvidia can pump out larger volumes to meet demand.
No idea about other countries, but here in the UK there's 12 different 4080 models in stock at overclockers and plenty on amazon

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Does one really need more than 3 seconds to figure out which vendor's numbers show the real picture??

The Nvidia semi official PR Depts at certain websites are hard at work.

Pretty sure Neweggs "Best Seller" list is just a promotional items list based on a sales over time model. On my list it shows an Asrock 6700XT as #1, followed by an ASrock 6900XT. The first 4080 is at #5. For 1899CAD. No one is buying that sh!t unless they have been lobotomized recently, or the card either, for that matter.

Reactions: PEnns

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Quick check shows most are still in stock for the vendor(s) listed MSRPs. My guess is they aren't selling as well as NewEgg says or NewEgg is having a really really bad holiday shopping season.

InvalidError

Titan
Quick check shows most are still in stock for the vendor(s) listed MSRPs. My guess is they aren't selling as well as NewEgg says or NewEgg is having a really really bad holiday shopping season.
For the RTX4080 to be #1 despire all previous indications saying sales were sluggish, I'd imagine the sales of everything else below it must be abysmal.

... or the "sales" don't account for the many RTX4080s returned by scalpers who couldn't find buyers.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
People claiming the 4090 is "value" are fake and bots. $1600 is the very opposite of value, it's nothing but a luxury piece that adds absolutely nothing to gameplay and that 4 years down the line will be matched by whatever 60 tier come out for $400.

Reactions: PEnns

InvalidError

Titan
People claiming the 4090 is "value" are fake and bots. $1600 is the very opposite of value
Depends on how you define value. In terms of straight raytraced frames per dollar, it does outperform most other GPUs, which is valuable to people looking to do 4k RT-Ultra. It is basically the only option capable of doing so at 120+Hz at the moment.

If you are willing to give up RT, then you have a few more options worth considering.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
That's actually the problem with the 4080. I was initially planning to use this for my brand new gaming build until the RTX 40 series actually launched. But when it did, I looked at the prices, said screw it and got the cheapest RTX 4090 I could find instead. As ridiculous as it sounds, it's actually a better value card than the 4080...

That was my plan as well as I tend to get 80 class cards and like you I ended up getting the cheapest RTX 4090 instead. It's utter insanity Nvidia's top end sku is their best bang for buck in the entire line up thus far.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Despite reports claiming poor GeForce RTX 4080 sales, according to the U.S. retailer, the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 Gaming OC, which usually sells for $1,269.99 (opens in new tab), has sold the most.

"Despite reports claiming poor 10 carat diamond sales, according to US retailer Tiffany and Co, 10 carat diamonds, which usually sell for $100,000, have sold the most.

In other news, people in the UK are buying pet food because they can no longer afford real food. Britons turning to pet food.

This news was brought to you by Out-of-Touch24."

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
People claiming the 4090 is "value" are fake and bots. $1600 is the very opposite of value, it's nothing but a luxury piece that adds absolutely nothing to gameplay and that 4 years down the line will be matched by whatever 60 tier come out for $400.

Depends on how you define value. In terms of straight raytraced frames per dollar, it does outperform most other GPUs, which is valuable to people looking to do 4k RT-Ultra. It is basically the only option capable of doing so at 120+Hz at the moment.

If you are willing to give up RT, then you have a few more options worth considering.

InvalidError basically nailed it. I bought a RTX 4090 for native 4K RT/ ultra performance on a 144hz panel and sadly I would call the 4090 the best bang for the buck/value of the RTX 4000 series. It is literally insane I find myself uttering those words but it doesn't make them less true. Usually the 80 class cards (where I tend to buy usually) are a hair more reasonable on cost for the high end and get you all but the last 10-15% that the highest end sku has on tap which you usually can cut down to single percentage points with some solid overclocking. But with the RTX 4080 30% behind (cough cough full generation cough cough) the 4090. The only OC of a 4080 that will put your performance nipping at the heels of the 4090, is going to require liquid nitrogen and not be something your going to want to do for your average gaming session. Nvidia really cut of the off the 80 class gamers and therefore EVERYONE who buys below that sku. Worse if the recent launch of the 7900XT(X) cards, while AMD is offering slightly better prices the RT and up-scaling performance lags considerably compared to Nvidia...and still AMD will likely be charging close to Nvidia down the stack and giving gamers who upgrade this gen the metaphorical shaft.

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
No. Not really. The numbers just don't add up.

There is no conspiracy. Nvidia is simply making tons of 4080 chips and 4090 graphics cards have dried up. Believe it or not people and not just scalpers are actually buying these cards though it seems like a lot of folks simply cannot accept this reality. For gamers AMD provided nothing that would massively disrupt 4080 sales, in fact I think the 7900 will encourage more 4080 sales as long as the 4090 isn’t available.

There is no conspiracy. Nvidia is simply making tons of 4080 chips and 4090 graphics cards have dried up. Believe it or not people and not just scalpers are actually buying these cards though it seems like a lot of folks simply cannot accept this reality. For gamers AMD provided nothing that would massively disrupt 4080 sales, in fact I think the 7900 will encourage more 4080 sales as long as the 4090 isn’t available.
Yet Amazon shows another story, and every reviewer says it is among the worst buys.

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Yet Amazon shows another story, and every reviewer says it is among the worst buys.

But that hasn’t stopped folks from purchasing.

I think American cars are a horrible buy, I’d never buy one, fit and finish is horrible yet people continue to buy.

Sergei Tachenov

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
I bought a RTX 4090 for native 4K RT/ ultra performance on a 144hz panel and sadly I would call the 4090 the best bang for the buck/value of the RTX 4000 series. It is literally insane I find myself uttering those words but it doesn't make them less true.
This basically boils down to the fact that high refresh 4K RT gaming was pretty much nonexistent prior to the 4090. So it's not just performance uplift, that's an entry point into a new level of gaming.

I personally would be happy with 27" 1440p gaming, and RT certainly does add a lot to gameplay especially in some games. But on the other hand I need a 32" 4K monitor for work and I work from home full time, which makes me able to afford a 4090 in the first place. I don't have space for two monitors (one for work, another one for gaming), so I have to game on this 4K beast. This essentially makes the 4090 a life saver as I can finally play games at reasonable quality at something like 90 FPS which feels smooth enough to me.

If not for the 4090, I'd either have to drop RT entirely or, I don't know, play at 1440 with black borders around?

Reactions: atomicWAR

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
This basically boils down to the fact that high refresh 4K RT gaming was pretty much nonexistent prior to the 4090. So it's not just performance uplift, that's an entry point into a new level of gaming.

I personally would be happy with 27" 1440p gaming, and RT certainly does add a lot to gameplay especially in some games. But on the other hand I need a 32" 4K monitor for work and I work from home full time, which makes me able to afford a 4090 in the first place. I don't have space for two monitors (one for work, another one for gaming), so I have to game on this 4K beast. This essentially makes the 4090 a life saver as I can finally play games at reasonable quality at something like 90 FPS which feels smooth enough to me.

If not for the 4090, I'd either have to drop RT entirely or, I don't know, play at 1440 with black borders around?

Agree 1000%

Latest posts