Nvidia's Shield Revisited: Console Mode, Streaming, And More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Nwokolo

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
This is The Real Next Gen Gaming System..Stream,Cloud and A.R.S.E(Android Revolutionary System Entertaiment) Based Console,No Doubt about it !!

Peacelol

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Where exactly are these reduced prices linked from? As of 0800 Pacific I don't see any reduction in pricing from any of the major retailers. All I've seen are updates regarding the holiday game bundle deal.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Still won't buy it as I'd then have yet another device.

Hey Tom's hardware... Microsoft, one of the biggest companies in the world, recently released a Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro... No article?

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
"Personally, I have very little interest in GameStream, if only because I'd never pick a gamepad and 5" screen over a mouse, keyboard, and full-sized monitor if I was in Wi-Fi range of my PC."

Try using a mouse, keyboard and full sized monitor whilst on the loo, in the bath or in bed, for example.

Try gaming when your wife is using your HTPC to watch Eastenders on iPlayer and your daughter is using your desktop to stream Dora the Explorer on Netflix.

In short: I love my 3DS and would also absolutely love Shield, if it was about £100 cheaper.

xbins00

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Thats depressing...I paid 400 for a 770 in the middle of august and only got splinter cell. If i waited I could have had three games and 100 off a shield while saving 70 bucks on my card.

cleeve

Illustrious

Try playing Android games on Shield if you need portability instead of a half-assed and frustrating PC-ish experience without a mouse and keyboard.

You miss my point. I'm not saying there's no place for a portable console. I'm saying I'd rather play Android, or 3DS instead of futzing around with the limitations of gamestreaming from a PC.

Speaking of which: streaming Dora from Netflix... GameStream doesn't work with that. The PC has to be dedicated to the task of gaming.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello Cleeve, thanks for replying.

You're right, I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about handheld gaming in general. Apologies.

I play most of my games with a 360 controller! Currently playing Darksiders (thanks Humble Bundle). Deadly Premonition and Enslaved have just been released on Steam so they will be my next 2 games. I can't imagine using a KB and mouse for any of them. Does Shield work well for these kinds of games?

cleeve

Illustrious

Yes, absolutely. If it's a game that uses a 360 controller, it's an ideal Shield candidate. In some cases there are still limitations, you may have to launch with your PC, but if you control it with a game controller exclusively, it's ideal.

Different strokes for different folks. Granted, my opinion is subjective, hence the word "personally" in my quote. Others may feel differently. But As a PC gamer who prefers a mouse/keyboard combo even for console ports, and only uses a gamepad for racing titles, I will always choose the PC for PC games, and mobile games for a mobile platform *when I'm at home*.

Should the day come when Nvidia has a cloud-streaming service that works over, say, an LTE connection from my smartphone... well, that'd be a different story altogether. If I'm out of the house, and I don't have direct access to my PC, I may appreciate the Shield's gamestream capabilities more.

Status
Not open for further replies.