nvlddmkm.sys BSOD even after clean reinstall

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Hello there, I'm running a lenovo y50-70 laptop with a gtx860m gpu. I started having this BSOD last night when the game I was playing suddenly froze and I was unable to switch to other app, and so I did a hard restart. The BSOD appeared right after I finished booting saying System Thread Exception Not Handled (nvlddmkm.sys).

I've looked up the solutions online, including another similar thread in tomshardware forum but none seemed to work. I did a clean reinstall with wagnar display driver uninstaller, but the BSOD still persists. I also did chkdsk and memtest and both came out fine. I can also confirm that the BSOD does not appear when the GPU is disabled or when I'm running safe mode.

Can anyone help me trying to figure out what's happening? Could it be GPU hardware failure induced by the hard restart? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

I actually stumbled upon that site as well and did all the steps but to no avail unfortunately, that was before I resorted to clean reinstall using wagnar DDU

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

That's a good question, I only installed the nvidia one, I'll try installing the lenovo oem one later this evening, see if it makes any difference. thanks for the suggestion

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

so I tried installing the oem one, sadly it didn't make a difference, I'm still getting an error, although it's a bit different, now instead of getting BSOD, the screen simply after startup, just like when the game froze before I'm getting BSOD the boot after. I'm starting to believe that this might be a hardware failure

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Here you go: http://

There are 8 of them, all of which came from within these 2 days so I'm sure they're related to the issue, but I'm not sure which one is the most relevant, so I'm grateful if you're willing to take a look at it

after reviewing your logs, its a NVidia driver and Dx driver problem
when you launch DDU it asks you to do it in safe mode.. you accepted this correct ?
and you selected the "remove all files and clicked to set windows basic drivers installed ?
if not do that
then let it reboot.. and wait.

yes I said wait... why?
gives windows a moment to recover from the stripping down, and reload drivers (basic) for your video card.. Manually download the video driver, don't let NVidia tell you what to download from the web site

run NVidia install;
1. accept the license
2. set to custom install
3. unselect GEFORCE Experience, HD audio, 3D vision, leaving only Graphic drivers and PhysX
4. Select the check box marked "Perform a clean installation"

now reboot one more time, and let us know.

Ministuff

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Uh, so I can't exactly find the "remove all files and clicked to set windows basic drivers installed" button in DDU, what I did see is the "Set Windows Device Installation Settings to Default (automatic)", which I clicked.

Anyhow, I did a "clean and restart" for both my NVIDIA driver and Intel HD graphics driver and even though I'm not sure about the other drivers, I'm sure that the NVIDIA and intel HD drivers are completely gone.

After that, I rebooted and waited as you said. Unfortunately, around 5 minutes into the waiting the BSOD came back on two different occasion, the first one mention "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" and the second one is the old "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR", only this time, it made no mention of "nvlddmkm.sys" or whatsoever, as there is no NVIDIA driver anymore to begin with. So even without the NVIDIA and Intel HD Graphics driver, I'm still getting the BSOD.

Strangely enough, again, the BSOD only comes up whenever I have the "switchable graphics" turned on in my BIOS, and when I'm using UMA graphics, the BSOD is gone. So I'm inclined to believe that this problem is related to graphics card and not memory/HDD problem.

I'm attaching two more minidumps that resulted from the BSOD in case you want to see it. The first one is the one that comes with "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION", and the second one is the one that comes with the usual "VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR"

http://

*EDIT*
So I looked at the minidump myself and I was surprised that it still mentioned the nlvddmkm, so I tried to find it in all my windows folder and found it in a "repository" folder. I assume the BSOD happens when windows tried to reinstall this back?

Anyhow I did a clean reinstall again, and I noticed anytime the nvlddmkm is in the driver folder, regardless of version, it will freeze the pc (I pasted one from the install folder, and it still froze), and if it was because of conflict, I think the DDU dId not address the other driver it is conflicting with

eldest13

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

I'm having the exact same problem, with the exact same PC, did you found a solution ? Please let me know