Question nvlddmkm.sys error in whocrashed after system restarts on its own. What to do? Temps are all fine and not doing any kind of gaming

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; 16 gb Ram (no over-clocking); 500 gb SSD; Motherboard: MSI Z87-gd45 gaming with latest bios; Zotac 1050ti.
Intel I7-4770 (no over-clocking)
2013 Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5, i7 and platforms - TX650

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website. Same problem.
I have cleaned the inside of the computer case and also cleaned the video card.
Neither the system, nor the video card was running hot at all. System only runs at about 30-42 Celsius; The video card temp is also only about 40 C.
I have reseated the video card;
I have reseated the ram.
Reseated all cables to and from the motherboard.
I've reinstalled the O/S with a "clean install"

I have been running Windows 10 with the Nvidia 1050ti disabled in Device Manager because it kept restarting on its own or freezing before or after the login screen.
This would then cause Windows 10 to become corrupted and automatic Startup Repair would not work on it.

I mentioned just above, that i've had the card disabled and I am just using Intel's 4600 graphics since February, as I'm concerned about having to start from scratch again if I try it again
Is this error usually a driver issue or a hardware issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

have you tried GPU in another PC as it could be physical. Especially if its causing restarts.

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; 16 gb Ram (no over-clocking); 500 gb SSD; Motherboard: MSI Z87-gd45 gaming with latest bios; Zotac 1050ti.
Intel I7-4770 (no over-clocking)
2013 Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Core i3, i5, i7 and platforms - TX650

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the newest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website. Same problem.
I have cleaned the inside of the computer case and also cleaned the video card.
Neither the system, nor the video card was running hot at all. System only runs at about 30-42 Celsius; The video card temp is also only about 40 C.
I have reseated the video card;
I have reseated the ram.
Reseated all cables to and from the motherboard.
I've reinstalled the O/S with a "clean install"

I have been running Windows 10 with the Nvidia 1050ti disabled in Device Manager because it kept restarting on its own or freezing before or after the login screen.
This would then cause Windows 10 to become corrupted and automatic Startup Repair would not work on it.

I mentioned just above, that i've had the card disabled and I am just using Intel's 4600 graphics since February, as I'm concerned about having to start from scratch again if I try it again
Is this error usually a driver issue or a hardware issue?
I could mention that I had that problem with old GTX 1080 Ti Gigabyte Aorus. I bought from the miner and on every graphic demanded program I got the same error. Tried everything, but no luck. I gave it back and bought another 1080 Ti MSI X Trio and that problem dissapeared. So in my case it was faulty gpu.

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
have you tried GPU in another PC as it could be physical. Especially if its causing restarts.

No Colif, I have not tried another slot. I also don't have the dump files, as I did a clean install back in February and I have not tried to use the card again after using Whocrashed to find the error in the dump file. I believe that it was the 'failed to restart" drive error and mentioned the
nvlddmkm.sys

I could mention that I had that problem with old GTX 1080 Ti Gigabyte Aorus. I bought from the miner and on every graphic demanded program I got the same error. Tried everything, but no luck. I gave it back and bought another 1080 Ti MSI X Trio and that problem dissapeared. So in my case it was faulty gpu.

Thanks. I believe that the card is about 4 years old (2019); It has never done any heavy anything other than trimming and cutting of 4K 60 FPS videos, but it never showed as being taxed or anything. It still could very-well be the card.

I have not crashed or had any errors since not using the card. The video processing is extremely slow though lol.

Last edited: