Question nvlddmkmsys issues bugcheck_code 133 on dump (system restart)

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Hello everyone, I really would appreciate some help on this matter, trying to pin point the issue (and I might have done it now, not crashes since yesterday but I have a few questions).

So a month ago I purchased a brand new computers by parts and asked the local retailer (same as the shop where components were bought) to assemble everything together and send the PC to me, all good there, until I started noticing random crashes and reboots while playing games.

On event viewer I was able to check errors on the nvlddmkm stating Error Ocurred on GPUID: 100

And I started to get really worried about faulty/defective gpu, well I still am, let me walk you through on every troubleshoot I did and changes to my current system, but first here are the system specs:

ATX Asus Prime H670-Plus D4
Intel Core i7-12700K
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL18
M.2 2280 Kingston NV1 2TB 3D TLC NVMe
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3090 Ti X3 24GB GDDR6X
Gigabyte P1000GM 1000W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular
MSI MAG CoreLiquid P360 All-In-One

Now the things I did already:

• Fresh reinstall of latest nvidia drivers.
  • Connect the PSU supply to the wall outlet instead of a power strip (weirdly found people that this fixed the problem).
  • Turn high performance mode on power settings of windows 10.
  • Updated BIOS to latest version.
  • Reseated the GPU (believe there was some cable not properly connected)

And very lately which I believe it was the culprit:
  • I deactivate GSync Compatible and changed instead to Fixed Refresh Rate (to 58 a bit below the max refresh rate of the monitor which is 60).
  • I was using GSync Compatible because my monitor is LG 4K but uses AMD FreeSync not GSync, and also this monitor was not on the officialy list of the native FreeSync monitors compatible with GSync - so I guess this could cause issues?
I notice that while playing games the GPU was going up to 99% playing 4k with HDR everything set to quality (on Warzone 2.0), and then the computer suddenly restarts. After deactivate the GSync compatible I havent had a crash for a day, also limiting the frame output to 60hz might have helped the GPU not go high than ~80% GPU utilization.

Now my questions:
  • Does playing with unlimited FPS on a 60Hz monitor is bad idea? I mean does it pushes harder on the GPU because it has to extra effort to display on a lower capability monitor?
  • Do you think GSync compatible on AMD FreeSync monitor could be causing this behaviors?
  • Wasn't I suppose to run everything on high (4k and hdr) without any major issues even with fps unlimited, I mean its normal the gpu going so high on utilization? temperatures never went above ~75º from what i remember.
  • Should I just contact the local shop as soon as possible and ask for RMA the GPU?
  • I am just wondering if the GPU is defective, because I wasn't expecting this issues having a higher tier gpu.
Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the long post,
I really hope someone out there could give me some assistance on this matter!
Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you think GSync compatible on AMD FreeSync monitor could be causing this behaviors?
No, as that is what I am doing, 2k LG Freesync running on a 2070 Super.
can't say I seen that cause WHEA errors before.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Have you tried running ddu and remove all traces of Nvidia drivers
boot into safe mode, run ddu & remove Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal and get drivers again

Reactions: tiagom

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
No, as that is what I am doing, 2k LG Freesync running on a 2070 Super.
can't say I seen that cause WHEA errors before.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Have you tried running ddu and remove all traces of Nvidia drivers
boot into safe mode, run ddu & remove Nvidia drivers, boot back into normal and get drivers again

Hi @Colif thank you for your reply, actually I have the last dump file on C:\windows\memory.dmp

So I created this minidump using WinDbg:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11KX5YBET16AlszEiwVhq7Pro1noZ4lYw/view?usp=sharing

Maybe you could take a look?

About the Gsync Compatible working for you maybe your monitor is one of those officialy supported as AMD FreeSync that work with GSync Compatible (official list here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/), mine is LG too and after filtering by brand I can't see my model there (my model is 27UP650-W).

Thank you so much again for your help!
Best!

Colif

Win 11 Master
About the Gsync Compatible working for you maybe your monitor is one of those officialy supported as AMD FreeSync that work with GSync Compatible (official list here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/), mine is LG too and after filtering by brand I can't see my model there (my model is 27UP650-W).
iNmrf5Z.jpg

no
LG 32GK650F-B isn't compatible fully (plan on getting new AMD GPU so I will fix that)

conversion of dump

That was so obvious my script auto generated the 2nd paragraph

File: minidump.dmp (Nov 20 2022 - 11:35:54)
BugCheck: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: cod.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

have you tried all those options?

do you use the onboard graphics for anything?
You have the intel graphics drivers installed
Feb 04 2022igdkmdn64.sysIntel HD Graphics drivers
if you don't use them, remove at same time as Nvidia drivers. Curious they were running during last crash

there are newer Nvidia drivers since 9th November, they released a 2nd lot but I think they mostly just fix 40 series cards.

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Hi @Colif thank you for your reply.
Ok then monitor would not be the issue, the curious thing is that after disabling the gsync compatible, I haven't had a crash (at least yet..., 2 days now).

Anyway I would like to know the root cause of this, specially if the gpu is defective and I should return it right away.

What did you found from the minidump?

Related to your questions:
  • I haven't tried DDU no, but everytime I have installed nvidia drivers, I did custom intall and selected clean install, does that help anything? Compared to DDU?
  • And yes I am using onboard graphics from the cpu for my second monitor display, maybe I should connect both monitors to the same graphics card (in this case the nvidia rtx3090ti? Do you think that it might be the issue?!

Thank you again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ok then monitor would not be the issue, the curious thing is that after disabling the gsync compatible, I haven't had a crash (at least yet..., 2 days now).
it could be the GPU still. those settings are on GPU end, its telling it to supply the right signal to the monitor.

I haven't tried DDU no, but everytime I have installed nvidia drivers, I did custom intall and selected clean install, does that help anything? Compared to DDU?
I have been asked this recently. Main difference is if you do custom install, the installer that replaces the drivers is still there... ddu removes all Nvidia including geforce experience. It may not make a big difference but its something.

And yes I am using onboard graphics from the cpu for my second monitor display, maybe I should connect both monitors to the same graphics card (in this case the nvidia rtx3090ti? Do you think that it might be the issue?!
I could be wrong but that might be why its restricting your frame rate on the monitor... it might be a conflict between 2 GPU running.

might be worth trying anyway.

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Okay thank you for reply,
My next step for troubleshoot before sending graphic for RMA will be:

1. Use DDU and install latest nvidia graphics
  2. Connect both monitors to same GPU (rtx)
  3. Re-enable gsync compatible and disable vsync in game (basically using unlimited fps)
Because actually I don't know why I stopped having crashes, if it was the disable of gsync compatible or the fact of not using unlimited fps (this means, having vsync on to match monitor refresh rate)

Since I lack knowledge, just wanna ask something, disabling vsyng and using unlimited fps will definitely overburden the GPU to its limits, correct?

But that wouldn't cause crash/shutdown if temperatures are fine? Or could still shutdown if GPU keeps trying is maximum (99% usage) even tho temps below 75°??

Also I am wondering if I get any noticeable improves having fps unlimited (no vsync) on a 60hz monitor...

Thank you again @Colif for all your help! Really appreciated!
Best!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since I lack knowledge, just wanna ask something, disabling vsyng and using unlimited fps will definitely overburden the GPU to its limits, correct?
I don't actually know. I answer BSOD posts, not GPU ones :)
I hate Google search. I search unlimited and it gives me answers for limited...

it seems disabling Vsync supposedly cools the GPU down. I can't find a lot about unlimited but I expect it isn't helping. Only reason to cap fps is if you see screen tearing

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Yeah.. I have searched too, and couldn't find a straight and direct answer, that's why my question, but that answers it!

OK, I will try the troubleshoot later today, and give you feedback in the following days, and then accept the answer too.

Thank you again!

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Hello there @Colif, after doing what you recommended:
  1. Using all monitors connected to the GPU.
  2. Did DDU and installed on safe mode the latest packaged drivers.
  3. Reenable GSync Compatible
It worked for a few days, but today just weird colors on my gpu after a few black screens, also saw this in the event viewer, sending images below.
This was while playing New World, I dont have a memory dump however.

erro0.png

erro1.png

erro2.png

erro3.png

erro4.png

The images are in order of the errors appearing basically...
Also here is how the game looked after the black screens:

H3A16Lg.md.jpg

Can anything be done? Or I was just unlucky to get a faulty gpu?
Thank you again!

EDIT:

I believe I have found the culprit!

If I use anything different than fixed refresh rate, let's say gsync compatible or any kind of dynamic refresh rate, I get freezes/restarts.

Now the question is, is this normal?
I know that I have a 60hz monitor, and I did activate the gamemode on my LG monitor (FreeSync basic).
The other option beside Fixed Refresh Rate (on Geforce Control Panel) is Gsync Compatible... but that causes the issues mentioned above.

Is it normal?
Should I return gpu to RMA?
What you think?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
How was the PC packaged when you got it? Perhaps the damage was done in shipping? Have you looked at the PCI slot on motherboard?

Some one was just wondering if it had any packaging inside case to keep GPU supported during transport

Hi @Colif yes there were a lot of this plastic bags filled with air inside the case, so everything was tight and would not move around

Reactions: Colif

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Hey @Colif thank you so much for all the support during the troubleshooting.
I just got really annoyed today while trying to run cyberpunk, and just went to shop with the GPU and activated RMA.
Case closed lol.
I hope the issues will no longer exist after replacement or GPU repair.
Thanks!

tiagom

Prominent
Nov 20, 2022
Hi @Colif and everyone following this post.

I have some news, bad news...

GPU was in RMA for an entire month (which is the deadline for RMA process on the local shop I bought it.)
It came back this Monday, and they told that the manufacturer couldn't reproduce or find any issue with the GPU, so I am back at the starting point.

Before plugging in the GPU again here is what I did:

1- Format PC using windows 10 bootable usb (using official Windows Creation USB tool)
2- Installed all drivers from my motherboard/chipset/lan/audio
3- Installed all-in-one package with the latest Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes (November 2022)
4- Installed the latest Nvidia Drivers 527.56

I was able to play a few games very comfortable in 4k (namely: Cyberpunk 2077, Shadow of War, Uncharted 4: Thief's End) with NVCP default settings, didn't touch anything.

Then I started noticing (on second day or so) in Shadow of War some weird screen flickering issues, which then lead me to try to set VSync off in Game Settings, which then lead to the GPU start going to 90~100% usage, black screen and then reboot.
On that day I also tested out Hunt: Showdown, and got bluescreen nvlddmkm.sys page fault in non paged-area.

Then I reverted to the GPU driver 517 but the crashes keep going on and on (ramdomly, sometimes I play 10 mins and crashes, and today I was able to play for 2h in Kingdom Come).
Got more bluescreens... TDR_FAILURE, DPC_WATCH_DOG, this is insane.

I thought about doing memtest86 and apparently the ram sticks are all fine, all tests passed (full green), it took more than 5 hours.
I also thought that could be a problem with a 4k monitor/cable, because today I turned on the PC and monitor didn't had any signal also dxdiag wasn't showing the Display tab for the RTX.

So because of this, I restarted computer and I had signal again... anyway, I shut it down and removed the displayport and used an HDMI 2.0 instead.

I went into global settings in NVCP activated VSync on and Triple Buffer on.
Spin up Kingdom Come deliverance, and was able to play 2h, but then screen flickers, followed by black screen and then PC restart again.

I am getting out of ideas here, what should I do guys?
Thank you so much, getting desperate here around 1k€ through the toilet and now I have this bricked gpu that they didnt replace neither repaired :(