[SOLVED] NVMe drive only showing 1gb after system crash

Mar 20, 2020
So I've had this HP ex900 nvme ssd for about a year now but I recently rebuilt my pc. I had everything up and working just fine but my pc crashed due to what I think was a graphics driver error and now my nvme is showing 1gb of unallocated space. When put into another machine, it shows the correct 465gb of available space. When I try to create a partition for just that 1gb that's showing, it fails. I have tried moving my other drives to other sata ports, driver updates for pretty much everything on my pc, and windows updates. This was shortly after I had connected another HDD but I have since disconnected it with no results. Any suggestions?

Edit: The nvme was originally my boot drive so all of what I'm trying to troubleshoot right now is on a fresh install of Windows 10 on my other SSD.

Build:
Ryzen 5 3600x
Sapphire RX 5700 xt
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 mhz
Corsair TX750M
Hp ex900 500gb nvme
Samsung 850 evo 500gb

Solution
It could be a compatibility issue with the motherboard.
I encountered that and other issues several years ago, when NVMe disks started to become main stream.
Also, around 2 years ago I installed the same HP model on a motherboard and it was not showing in the BIOS. I had to change some settings in the BIOS.

Have you checked on your motherboard, if changing the PCI settings (speed, chip gen & lanes) from Auto to Gen2 or Gen3 helps.
Mar 20, 2020
Make sure only one disk is installed while you setup Windows.
Yes, when I reinstalled windows, the Samsung SSD was all that was connected. The problem is that my pc won't even recognize the nvme as a secondary drive anymore. There is only 1gb of unallocated space showing that fails to format. All of my troubleshooting attempts have been trying to set it up as a secondary drive because I don't want to add the layer of windows set up to make the process more difficult.

Mar 20, 2020
Have you try to using Diskpart to clean the disk partitions and volumes?
No, the drive is not initialized and fails to initialize and create partitions so diskpart and other utilities can't find the drive.

Edit: My bad, disk part can find it, and I ran the clean but there is no change. I still can't create a new partition, and it is only showing 1gb.

Last edited:
Since the disk worked in another computer, then make sure the disk is installed properly.
Remove it and re-install it.
Make sure to power off the system and disconnect power cord from PSU before working inside a PC.
Also, it helps to discharge capacitors by pressing the power button after the power cord has been unplugged.

Try running Diskpart on the other computer where the disk was working properly.

Reactions: stonecarver
Mar 20, 2020
I ran diskpart and cleaned the disk on the other machine and it is still showing same problem on my pc.

It is worth nothing that I am also using a pcie card for m.2 as well as the m.2 built into my mb for testing.

Mar 20, 2020
During Windows setup, have you tried deleting all partitions on the HP disk?
Try deleting all partitions and formatting with MiniTool Partition Wizard.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

If that does not work try to RMA the disk.
The disk never had a partition to begin with, and using MiniTool Partition Wizard to format and create a partition did not work either. It still only detected 1 gb. I also reset the cmos battery, reset bios to default settings, and updated my chipset drivers.

This is also a new disk that was replaced via rma since I thought it was a drive issue, but it still works on other machines so I think it's most likely an issue with something on my machine.

Edit: just flashed new bios. No change

Last edited:
It could be a compatibility issue with the motherboard.
I encountered that and other issues several years ago, when NVMe disks started to become main stream.
Also, around 2 years ago I installed the same HP model on a motherboard and it was not showing in the BIOS. I had to change some settings in the BIOS.

Have you checked on your motherboard, if changing the PCI settings (speed, chip gen & lanes) from Auto to Gen2 or Gen3 helps.

Solution