Question NVMe m.2 drive not detected after reboot and I cant install windows on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2023
Setup:
ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 19MB
ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB DUAL OC
Corsair CV550 550W
Corsair MP510 1920GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD
KINGSTON 120GB SV300S37A120G with windows 10 boot

In the end I want to replace the kingston disk with the mp510. But right now I can only get the new m.2 drive to be visible in windows on POST. I never see it in BIOS and if I do an reboot I cant see the drive anymore.

Any ideas why it is not showing all the time and why I cant see it when running windows creation media?

I've used the drive for 2 years in a lenovo laptop P50. I also tried it in a system with A Intel i5 12400 installed in a MSI Pro B760-P motherboard. So the drive is fully functional.

I know I wont see it as a m.2 drive due to old board. But I should be able to see it as a drive and I do in windows on first boot after PC was completely off.

Mar 4, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Corsair CV550 550W
How old is the PSU?

Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Hello and thank you! I found many interesting articles here and hopes I would get good help.

BIOS 3810
PSU is 2 years old
Media creation tool from microsoft

Lutfij

Titan
That PSU isn't something I'd have in a build with an RX580.

See if going to BIOS version 4001 helps. Also, did you try clearing the CMOS? Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then replace then replace the battery. Power up and see if the drive comes back in BIOS, OS installer.

Might want to see if recreating your bootable USB installer aids you as well.

Mar 4, 2023
Do you have a recommendatiom on a PSU? Do you think that the psu can be the source to the m.2 not being detected each reboot?

I will try 4001

I did to cmos clearing earlier today but it didn't help. I will update BIOS and to another cmos clear.

When it comes to the windows creation media I firstly just want the drive to be visible to the current windows install that I have on the kingston drive. But I can recreate that media as well.

Mar 4, 2023
Do you have a recommendatiom on a PSU? Do you think that the psu can be the source to the m.2 not being detected each reboot?

I will try 4001

I did to cmos clearing earlier today but it didn't help. I will update BIOS and to another cmos clear.

When it comes to the windows creation media I firstly just want the drive to be visible to the current windows install that I have on the kingston drive. But I can recreate that media as well.
That PSU isn't something I'd have in a build with an RX580.

See if going to BIOS version 4001 helps. Also, did you try clearing the CMOS? Disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then replace then replace the battery. Power up and see if the drive comes back in BIOS, OS installer.

Might want to see if recreating your bootable USB installer aids you as well.

Updated BIOS to 4001
CMOS clear after update
Changed MB cr2032 battery
I also tried with a older graphics card (HD6750 1G GDDR5) to see if the psu would do better with less demand.

Same behavior persists:
First boot after shutdown from windows it will show the drive. Reboot from windows the drive is not detected. Trying to go directly into BIOS it wont be detected there either.

Mar 4, 2023
Some new info..

As I now can see the drive on first power on I managed to install windows on the drive and that works. But restarts wont work.

So the install was a bit of a mess. Everytime it needed a reboot I had to power off as it went to BIOS not detecting the disk. Then on next boot it would continue the install.

Now when I got it up and running reboots just doesnt work. So if I need to reboot i have to power down and up manually.

Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.