[SOLVED] NVMe m.2 drive not showing up in disk manager Gigabyte Aero Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2020
Gigabyte Aero 15XV8 - https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Laptop/AERO-15X--i7-8750H#kf (2X M.2 PCIe SSDs) says it supports 2 slots for the type of hard drive I purchased. I have the original HD in the first slot and I added a Samsung 970 Evo https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07BN217QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (NVMe M.2) but it does not show up in disk manager. It does show up in the bios, in device manager, and using utilities like CrystalDiskInfo but transfer mode isn't populated. CrystalDiskInfo shows stats of both original hard drive and new hard drive as the same.

I've updated the bios and tried a few things without success, nothing is recognizing the new drive and I am unable to format it and make use of it. Does anyone have any suggestions or know what the issue could be?

Solution
it won't mess with the c drive. just new storage proabaly "D"

problem with extend storage. is you need to do backup
and for data recovery, you have no idea the file location. A file might be on the disk 1 or it might be on disk 2 or might be on both.

just go clone the disk.
Dec 26, 2020
Yes windows 10, interesting it is there but says "Can't remove the drive from the pool"?

So I just deleted it and it does appear in disk management :D, I guess when it was installed they used storage pools to try to merge both disks into one? Is that even possible to make it look like C drive is 500gb + 1tb and one single drive...otherwise I don't get what this is for other then backing up hd's?

Last edited:

rgd1101

Don't
good.

yeah. it one of those windows 10 feature that we never ask.
and it only happened sometime. sometime it doesn't go to storage spaces.

I think they assume you want the ext(new) disk as storage, and it case you want to add more disk later, which the storage space will see all the disk as one.

Dec 26, 2020
It would be ok if it extended the C: drive with more space (and used it for storage) but that wasn't the case. The original drive was still the same size and I ran out of disk space, so I guess it doesn't extend it but uses it for backup?

It would be ideal to have a single drive and instead of the original 500gb have 1,500 gb with disk 1 + disk 2 and only see it as one disk / drive C. Is that what windows storage space does? And if so, maybe it wasn't setup correctly?

Otherwise I'll just clone the smaller drive to the bigger drive and get rid of the original drive and have the 1TB as the primary boot / only drive.

rgd1101

Don't
it won't mess with the c drive. just new storage proabaly "D"

problem with extend storage. is you need to do backup
and for data recovery, you have no idea the file location. A file might be on the disk 1 or it might be on disk 2 or might be on both.

just go clone the disk.

Reactions: mmrk09
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.