Question NVME M2 SSD disappears from Windows when trying to install games, replaced SSD, and same issue

Sep 9, 2024
SO... I have spent hours on this and decided to go to forums.

(NOT MY BOOT DRIVE) NVME M2 Sabrent 1Tb SSD just disappeared from Windows along with all my games, then after booting my PC back up it came back on.
I didn't give this much mind until I wanted to download Space Marine 2 off of my SATA SSD and onto a NVME because of the load screens, simple enough. 48 hours later I'm here, when trying to download the game from Steam it would complete, game starts and then crashes. The next time I try and boot the game I get "Disk read error" from Steam. Then the drive will disappear from Windows. I've verified files, ran in administrator; reinstalled the game, steam, and Windows, then tried to re-format the drive (which turned it RAW and could re format which resolved after I updated BIOS), reseat the SSD, updating BIOS. Whenever I try to scan the drive right after my PC boots on it works, as soon as a game tries to download the drive cant be scanned anymore. I tried to diagnose through cmd prompt. and the same issue, no problems when I first turn it on, then everything goes to crap.

I gave up on the SSD and went to Best Buy and got a Samsung 990 1Tb, with the same...exact...issue. This time I downloaded the Samsung Magician software and same issue, no problems when detected, but as soon as it disappeared from Windows it was like it didn't exist. After hours of going through forums, someone else on a steam forum had almost the EXACT same issue and it ended up being a faulty PSU. I've also read ram could cause issues so I've ordered 2 new sticks or RAM and a new PSU, I have no idea what else it would be other than the motherboard.

A few things to note, I have a lot of fans and 3 other storage options attached to my motherboard including the boot SSD, (possible problems with sharing connectors? I don't think my MB should have that issue??), CPU temps are good and any diagnostic check I do in BIOS for hardware or in cmd prompt says 100% fine until the drive disappears. I'll attach some errors in the event viewer when it goes. Also, I'm not sure if my BIOS should be in legacy, when I updated the BIOS some weird stuff happened and my BIOS didn't have any drive as a booting option, despite it being seen and listed on the other side of the screen. I messed with the boot options and finally got it to boot up to the home screen. Thank you any help is appreciated.

System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor, 4001 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Product TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB Gskillz Trident 3600
650W PSU
Grapics card NVDIA 3070 surpim

:)https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ar-m4UtUU9NtguFArzSE4ze59NeqLg?e=fYMZuE

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

650W PSU
650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the make and model of the unit?

Out of curiosity, which slots have you tried the NVMe drive on and how is the drive mounted? Images of the drive in it's slot would help us two fold, in case your mount isn't proper.

(possible problems with sharing connectors? I don't think my MB should have that issue??
Best list which slots and ports are populated with said drives.

BIOS Mode Legacy
You should be operating in UEFI mode, not Legacy.