Question NVMe not detected by bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2022
Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: 16 GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3200 MHz (x2)
GPU: msi GeForce GTA 1650 4GB
Existing Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB 3D NAND SATA + Crucial 500GB NAND NVMe M.2
New Storage: Samsung 980 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD

Over the past few days, I have been having no luck trying to fix my M.2 slot on my motherboard. I recently changed processors from a Ryzen 3 3200G to a Ryzen 5 5600X. Before the change, I had a Crucial 500GB NVMe M.2 that had been working perfectly fine and used as a boot drive. After I changed processors, the M.2 decided to stop working and stopped appearing anywhere. To make sure there wasn't a specific problem between my NVMe and my processor, I bought a 1TB Samsung 980 to try and see if it would work, but still nothing. I updated my BIOS to its most recent version, updated the chipset from AMD's website, and have configured my BIOS settings to try and get the slot to work again. I also tried downloading the Samsung NVMe drivers but all I get is a message saying that the "Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected." which tells me that the drive is just not being detected by my computer. I'm not sure if this is an incompatibility issue or I've done something wrong, but it's possible because I find ASRock's BIOS very confusing. (BIOS configuration directions start at Page 63)

Disk Management

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you had a number of BIOS versions between the latest version and the one you were on prior to update, you're advised to gradually work your way to the latest as opposed to jumping to the latest BIOS version. You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Which two slots are the rams populating? BISO version at the time of writing?

I'd also try and disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then replace the battery after 30 mins, see if that helps you out. Side note, which slot is the 2.5" SATA SSD populating on the motherboard? Furthermore, which M.2 slot are you trying to use?

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Vermeer, Matisse, Cezanne, Renoir, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon series APU and Raven Ridge 2)**
- 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module

*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

**Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

^ pulled from the specs page for the board, here.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you had a number of BIOS versions between the latest version and the one you were on prior to update, you're advised to gradually work your way to the latest as opposed to jumping to the latest BIOS version. You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Which two slots are the rams populating? BISO version at the time of writing?

I'd also try and disconnect the system from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery and then replace the battery after 30 mins, see if that helps you out. Side note, which slot is the 2.5" SATA SSD populating on the motherboard? Furthermore, which M.2 slot are you trying to use?

- 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Vermeer, Matisse, Cezanne, Renoir, Picasso, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon series APU and Raven Ridge 2)**
- 1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module

*M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

**Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks

^ pulled from the specs page for the board, here.
Thank you for the welcome!

My PSU is an 400W EVGA and it is about 9 months old as of January 15th. My two ram sticks are populating the A_2 and B_2 slots. At the time of writing the post, my BIOS is at version 4.20. My SATA SSD is mounted on the back and is connected to the SATA ports marked as number 9-12 on the visual motherboard on page 13. The NVMe I am trying to connect is in the M2_1 slot as it is the only slot that works without giving me the black screen where Windows tells you that there is no boot drive detected. I have already tried taking the CMOS in and out but I haven't seen any changes on my BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.