NVMe optimization considerations for a 3d Graphic, VR and media workflow

Jun 4, 2018
Hey folks
I am posting this question and scattering it around the internet on a few different forums in hopes that someone will take it upon themselves to come back with some sort of answer for me.

I am asking this question in terms of a purchasing decision specifically concerning M.2 NVMe 3.0 x4 and Samsung’s EVO and PRO offerings. I am also only interested in capacities over 1TB version 960 or 970 or a combination of them. The motherboard I have purchased has two m.2 slots which I will fill as I can afford them so this is not a question of either or but of planning to maximize my systems resources practically without over spending.
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/

Here is what I know or at least pretend to understand. MLC flash memory is better than TLC flash memory because:
1. It’s faster than TLC
2. It’s able to run file transfers without taking a breath. Therefore, it does not bottle neck or stall.
3. Has a better warranty
TLC Memory is:
1. Plenty fast
2. Considerably less expensive
3. Will only sustain transfer as long as its (Frankly huge) buffer will allow.

So that known some people need Pro/MLC it’s a no brainer for them. I could see it being a significant advantage in server applications or anytime you want to move huge files. Though I do move big files often I am not sure I am willing to spend an extra grand to transfer data between two work drives. More than likely I will be transferring the biggest of my files though a sata 6 bottle neck to a regular yet fast ssd drive like a 2TB Crucial MX500 or 2TB Seagate FireCuda for back up or for fetching rescources.
For me the main focus of this machine is a 3ds Max workstation. As a freelance digital art generalist I do work on a wide variety of projects that include a very wide variety of software and rendering tools.

These include but are not limited to:
1. 3DS Max
2. Cinema 4d
3. The whole of the adobe Suite with a focus on After Effects, Photoshop and illustrator
4. Real Flow
5. Cinema 4D
6. Marmoset tool bag
7. Unreal and soon Unreal Studio
8. Unity
9. Zbrush
10. Key Shot
11. Substance designer in all of its forms
12. Marvellous Designer
13. Auto Cad (mostly for fixing things for Import)
14. I use Vray and other renderers depending on the finish I am looking for
15. Davinci resolve

I have other machines that I use for everyday stuff like the web, bookkeeping and media and a hillbilly network (I am a certified lefty hick so no offence to my neighbors). I am moving toward a NAS based set up but that is a moving target right now. Work can get in the way of best intentions. You get the Idea.
Rendering is a huge part of my workflow. I like to pre-render by element then assemble final render in post so I have the most control of the finished product. So think many layers and multiple render passes.
Here is what I am thinking as far how I will set up my system. The boot drive will hold all of my software, two decades worth of custom hand crafted texture maps, my custom animated alpha’s and other render time elements. All of my 3d and 2d kit and reference will sit either on a reference 2TB mx500 or on my media machine and be accessible via network or residentially respectively. The second NVMe drive will be all about Swap or as the kids say cache and as a target for output.
You can be sure that I am interested in hearing about what you think would be the optimum workstation. So feel free to shoot me suggestions but most of my machine is already purchased.

Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Well, Samsung 970 Pro is one of or even fastest M.2 drives now, specially in larger capacities. For eventual another one there's a limitations for second M.2 slot and that one can't get full speed, it would make more financial sense to use Samsung 860Evo in larger capacity.

Jun 4, 2018

Hey Thanks for looking at this Count Mike. You are the first to take a stab at this and I really appreciate that.

I am not sure what you mean by the one that cant get full speed. I think you may be referring to the the fact that I will have to give up a full speed PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot to keep the buses open with direct access to the processor.
Correct me if I am wrong but it has 3 and I am only going to be running one video card to start so I still will have one left over to do something with down the line.

To clarify my question... I am looking to get feedback in regards to the specific software set that I have listed. For instance I know with MAX if I am in modeling wireframe mode I will only be using 1 processor no matter the number of cores I have available. But when I render both my GPU and all my cores will light up and rip through their tasks. So that is why I purchased an ryzen 1800x and wx7100 in stead of depending on a radical 1700x over clock.

What I am trying to understand is if I have this super fast expensive M.2 PRO hard drive will it come into play one day where I say "Ya see if I had scrimped on this and got the EVO I would be bottle necking right now" and then "it was totally worth the extra $ XXX.xx " and "looking back at it now eating nothing but peanut butter sandwiches and Mr Noodle's for months on end was fun and delicious". You get the Idea.

Most of the software I use handles huge data sets in the form of vertices in Cartesian space with information and parameters layered on top of that. Most of that sits in DRam (I am installing at least 32GB and Upgrading to 64GB later). While working it Swaps and the working file is updated in ram and part of it goes to the hard drive and you move on adjusting your complex little dot to dot creations.(Simplified explanation).

So my "artistic" reasoning (not an engineer) tells me TLC/EVO should be fine. I mean all this happens in a burst and MLC/PRO is not necessary.

Until Render time when the MLC/PRO will be handy for it ability to run steady spewing up those tasty data bytes at the CPU/GPU and slurping them out the other side as beautiful digital master pieces.

Once again Count Mike I appreciate your answer. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.
Serious.G

I was thinking more along storage line. First M.2 will be doing most work so it's most important. Second or third one will be down to x2 instead of x4 soit's going to be inherently slower so it's not important to be ultra fast. It wouldn't be a bottleneck even if you render straight to it. Ihaven't used MAX for long time so I don't know if it still use scratch file/disk but if it does and you keep it on fastest disk I don't see a problem.
I have two M.2 slots ad I'm considering getting second (but slower) one just to keep Linux on it instead of a HDD like now. My other, "ordinary" SATA SSD is now holding programs that would not fit on main one. Difference is almost invisible.
I'm long time retired now but just recently (couple of weeks ago) gave up on Autocad and physics sim work so 2700x came just at last moment. As this computer will probably see very little earnings, it has to last long time without radical changes and expenditures.

Jun 4, 2018
Thanks again Count Mike. I appreciate the feedback. As for storage I am looking at filling my case with MX500 2TB or whatever fast SSD is avaliable as I need it and purchasing a NAS for back up and as a server in time. But that is going to require a pile of research on my part and more money than I have right now. As you see my question is more about render time bottle necks and work time efficiency.
I have been watching the prices of these m.2 drives and currently the 1TB 970 PRO is less than the 960 on sale but it is unavailable as they have run out (go figure). So if that little buddy pops back up to I am going to grab it.
I understand the Idea behind a machine earning for you. It sounds like you understand the dilemma. I am already faced with spending a pile of cash on software before I even look at any machine. The Idea of dropping a pile of money for speedy boot times (I doubt I will turn this machine off more than a couple times a month) doesn't interest me if in the long run I am just increasing the time it will take to recoup my investment. I understand the concept of the advantages but are they advantages for an artist like me.
As I said I will probably grab the 970 PRO if it comes back into stock on sale and start fishing for information on the software side. I am sure I will be fine for now and I will wait for Black Friday to fill the other slot.
Once again thanks for your advice.