Question NVME Question

Dec 14, 2021
My current system is a ASUS ROG Maximus Hero Xiii and I am using WD Black SN850 NVME's in the M.2_1 and M.2_2 slots. The 1st PCIe slot contains a RTX-2070 and all other PCIe slots are free.

If I read and understand the manual, I will get faster speeds out of the M.2_1 drive slot than the M.2_2 drive slot.

However I remember having a problem with one of the NVME's originally not being seen and I had to go into the Bios and change some settings.

I now have a feeling that the Operating system got installed onto the M.2_2 NVME. The reason I think this is that Drive 0 does not contain the operating system, but drive 1 does.

Now if I want to get the max speed out of the NVME drives, I am thinking that I should swap the NVME drives around and the operating system should go to the M.2_1 slot thus being the faster slot.

If I am correct in my thinking, this should work and the Operating system would then be Drive 0 and uses the faster speeds. I would like to post the JPG from the Windows Computer Management, picture is worth a 1000 words.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Dec 14, 2021
OK.

https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xiii-hero-model/spec

M.2 ports 1 & 2 support PCIe 4.0
M.2 ports 3 & 4, PCIe 3.0

Your SN850s in the 1 & 2 both run at full 4.0 speed.

That is what I was thinking but not 100% sure.

However Disk 0 is basically blank and I think it is in the M.2_1 slot and Disk 1 which contains the operating system, I am thinking is in the M.2_2 Slot.

I am thinking that the drives can be swapped around M.2_1 and M.2_2 and make the Disk 0 the operating system like it should be without a new install.

Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

However Disk 0 is basically blank and I think it is in the M.2_1 slot and Disk 1 which contains the operating system, I am thinking is in the M.2_2 Slot.

I am thinking that the drives can be swapped around M.2_1 and M.2_2 and make the Disk 0 the operating system like it should be without a new install.

Thanks.
You could (probably) swap them into the 2 different slots, with no OS or config change.

As long as they are in M.2 1 & 2, it makes no difference where the OS is, Disk 1 or Disk2.

But....pictures,. please.

Dec 14, 2021

Thanks.

View: https://imgur.com/vv5SqRY

TRENDING THREADS