[SOLVED] NVMe SSD errors when gaming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Hi,

Whenever I try to play a game for example Cypberpunk 2077. When I enter the main menu screen and click on continue. The game crashes and I am not able to load it up again from Steam.
In the event view logs I see the following:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: D:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume2.

Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.

Device manufacturer:
Device model: WD_BLACK SN850 1TB
Bus type: NVMe

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR2 during a paging operation.
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

This only started happening a few days and nothing has changed from my end.

My specs are
PSU: Corsair RM850
AMD 5800x
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE latest bios F35
32GB 3600mhz crucial ballistix
Asus Tuf OC 3090
Crucial SSD for boot drive

The WD_BLACK SN850 1TB is in M.2 Gen 4 slot.

I have done multiple SMART tests with no errors

All my drivers are up to dates. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
something wrong with write buffer on your device (on board cache), you might want to turn it off if its unstable
open device manager, under disk drives find your drive and double click it to get to properties, switch tab to Policies and disable write cache
something wrong with write buffer on your device (on board cache), you might want to turn it off if its unstable
open device manager, under disk drives find your drive and double click it to get to properties, switch tab to Policies and disable write cache

Reactions: limpep
Solution

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I appreciate the help. It seems to have resolved my issue. And doing some research into what the write cache does, seems to be useful for when you have power outages or BSOD and doesn't hurt performance or nothing noticeable. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.