[SOLVED] NVMe SSD in adapter not recognized

Tanarri

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
I've just got a Crucial P1 500GB M.2 2280 SSD and installed it via an PCI-E adapter to my Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, where I'm running WIN 7, but the system nor BIOS recognize it.

It is not a boot drive but a storage / program drive that I (hastily) bought. I tried reseating it into the the PCIE x 16 slot, but with no change.

Any advice, steps to take and so on would be much appriciated. Thanks

Solution
Thanks. Can I get the drivers through the tool without reinstalling my windows? Just asking cause I never used it before.
Gigabyte USB install tool is zip archive.
Extract it, locate folder \HOTFIX and install hotfixes listed there.
Then locate folder \StorageControllers\Intel_NVME\installer and install Intel nvme driver.

You can also choose to install Samsung nvme driver downloadable from Samsung site.

Tanarri

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Your motherboard is old. BIOS is old. Apparently BIOS of your board can't recognize pcie storage devices.

Windows 7 doesn't support nvme. Specific hotfixes need to be installed to enable nvme support. Plus nvme drivers need to be installed.

You can get necessary hotfixes and drivers from Gigabyte Windows USB installation tool.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Utility?kw=windows&p=1

Thanks. Can I get the drivers through the tool without reinstalling my windows? Just asking cause I never used it before.

Then locate folder \StorageControllers\Intel_NVME\installer and install Intel nvme driver.

You can also choose to install Samsung nvme driver downloadable from Samsung site.

Solution

Tanarri

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017

Thanks a lot for this. Quick simple and it worked. Didn't find such a simple and straightforward guide anywhere online.

TRENDING THREADS