NVME SSD installed on PCI-e x4 board doesnt show up in BIOS

Titust1

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
I have a Motherboard GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F21 latest BIOS).
I have a Samsung SSD NVME 950 PRO 512GB, with Windows install and AHCI mode. Everything works fine in this config.
I have purchased a second Samsung NVME EVO 960 SSD and a riser card PCI-e x4 and inserted that in the PCI-e x4 slot.
When I turn my PC, the BIOS shows the old SSD 950 Pro installed in the M.2 slot, BUT I am not able to see the new SSD EVO 960 drive.
It simply does not show up. I have tried all kind of settings for the the BIOS, set to defaults, etc.
I don't know where in the BIOS and how to the SSD appear in the BIOS
There is no way I can make the MB see the NVME SSD installed in the PCI-e slot. I have no idea why.
Any ideas guys? WHAT SHOULD I DO? This is not normal that a new generation MB that is supposed to support NVME drives does this...

Please Help. Anyone went through my situation?

Solution

--------------------
This is an update to my issue. I have removed the NVMe SSD from the M.2 slot on the MB, and left just the NvMe SSD in the PCI-e x4.
I works just fine, the BIOS can see it. You...

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

You have a graphics card in your first PCI-e slot, so which of the other slots did you plug your nvme adaptor card ?

this will be a loose loose situation for you.

The bottom PCI-e slot is usually disabled as the nvme drive you have on the motherboard shares the PCI-e lanes on the motherboard for this slot, so consider this slot un-useable / dead (this info is in the manual)

Now as for the 2nd PCI-e slot, you can put the card in this slot, however, your graphics card will now only run at 8x speed instead of x16.

http://imgur.com/35tsZZq

Muzzammil22

Respectable
Jan 28, 2017
Both the ssd require to be connected in m.2 slots as mentioned on this site below:

(See Notes)
Link for compatibility
but again even if you connect it somehow in PCIe slot PCIe x4 slot is unavailable when you use m.2 slot as mentioned on motherboard specifications website here below:

(See Expansion Slots row under Specifications tab)
Specifications

So for your problem you can use an adapter like this one but it will degrade the performance as it is a PCIe 2.0
Adapter

You can also check a PCIe 3.0 Adapter online. Connect the adapter in PCIEX1_2 Slot.

Titust1

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
You have a graphics card in your first PCI-e slot, so which of the other slots did you plug your nvme adaptor card ?
this will be a loose loose situation for you.
The bottom PCI-e slot is usually disabled as the nvme drive you have on the motherboard shares the PCI-e lanes on the motherboard for this slot, so consider this slot un-useable / dead (this info is in the manual)
Now as for the 2nd PCI-e slot, you can put the card in this slot, however, your graphics card will now only run at 8x speed instead of x16.
http://imgur.com/35tsZZq[/quotemsg]
--------------------
This is an update to my issue. I have removed the NVMe SSD from the M.2 slot on the MB, and left just the NvMe SSD in the PCI-e x4.
I works just fine, the BIOS can see it. You were absolutely right this is because the M.2 is using the same lanes as the PCI-e x4.
I did know that. Now I see it is written in the manual. If I knew I would have purchase another MB. My bad.
Now I installed the NVMe SSD in the PCI-e x8.
I have a crappy MB, so my MB has just 20 lanes?
But I found this info that says site that says there is no big difference in the # of lanes for the performance of the graphics:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

Titust1

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

--------------------
I works just fine, the BIOS can see it. You were absolutely right this is because the M.2 is using the same lanes as the PCI-e x4.
I did know that. Now I see it is written in the manual. If I knew I would have purchase another MB. My bad.
Now I installed the NVMe SSD in the PCI-e x8.
I have a crappy MB, so my MB has just 20 lanes?
But I found this info that says site that says there is no big difference in the # of lanes for the performance of the graphics:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

[/quotemsg]

you can get Z170 or Z270 motherboards that have 2 M.2 slots.

Solution