[SOLVED] NVME SSD sometimes does not boot because of weak PSU?

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Hey, I have trouble making my 1TB WD BLUE SSD work.

I have ti connected to the second nvme slot on my mobo (Steel legend B550) and it sometimes won't show on boot. Like nowhere. Not in disk part not in disk manager. And when I reload the PC it shows perfectly. Sometimes scanning for hw changes works but that is not 100%.

I found out that it could be because I have a weak PSU. I have 650W Seasonic Gold with 3070 and ryzen 5 3600. But I have no way to prove that theory.

I tried updating bios and finding some drivers from either Asrock or WD but didn't find anything useful.

If any of you happened to have an idea to solve it I would appreciate it very much.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
I have the same board with a sabrent 1tb in the first slot and a 512gb wd black in the 2nd and 3 HD. If you use the 2nd slot, it only runs at x2 and it disables 3 of the 6 sata ports. Are you trying to use any of the sata ports?
Yeah i have HDD in one of them not sure which coz i cant see thru the GPU. But could be 3 or 4. So you are saying if i change the port for the HDD the SSD would work again?

Hey, I have trouble making my 1TB WD BLUE SSD work.

I have ti connected to the second nvme slot on my mobo (Steel legend B550) and it sometimes won't show on boot. Like nowhere. Not in disk part not in disk manager. And when I reload the PC it shows perfectly. Sometimes scanning for hw changes works but that is not 100%.

I found out that it could be because I have a weak PSU. I have 650W Seasonic Gold with 3070 and ryzen 5 3600. But I have no way to prove that theory.

I tried updating bios and finding some drivers from either Asrock or WD but didn't find anything useful.

If any of you happened to have an idea to solve it I would appreciate it very much.
Run this.............Speccy - Free Download
Read this and post a link to the speccy..........Speccy...publish

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Ya know, there is something going on with the Samsung 250GB M.2 SSD. I'm thinking that it's either sharing the same port as the 2TB HDD or the power cable isn't plugged in or defective power cable.
Edit: I forgot this M.2 didn't need a cable but, it still shares ports...

Last edited:

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Ya know, something is going on with the Samsung 250GB M.2 SSD. I'm thinking that it's either sharing the same port as the 2TB HDD or the power cable isn't plugged in or defective power cable.
The 250GB is for the system and it's NVME so there is no cable. 2TB HDD is sata. And I am not sure what is going on with it? There was never a problem with it.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
I'll guess.........I don't think plugging in a pcie ssd into m2.2 will impact your sata ports.
As a test turn off xmp see if your ssd will then appear.

It did. But it does even with the XMP. Just not always. It's like flipping a coin. Sometimes I boot perfectly fine a sometimes I boot 2 times and no signs of existence from the SSD.

I'll guess.........I don't think plugging in a pcie ssd into m2.2 will impact your sata ports.
As a test turn off xmp see if your ssd will then appear.

On this particular board it does. I have it.

*M2_2 and SATA3_5_6 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

So if they are plugged into port 3, 5 ,or 6 and using m2 slot 2, the system is competing on what to enable and what to disable and probably hit and miss on what device gets power first, it disables the other. I would remove all HD from the motherboard, boot, confirm both nvme work, then add drives in ports 1, 2, 4.

Reactions: itsdigger

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021

*M2_2 and SATA3_5_6 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

So if they are plugged into port 3, 5 ,or 6 and using m2 slot 2, the system is competing on what to enable and what to disable and probably hit and miss on what device gets power first, it disables the other. I would remove all HD from the motherboard, boot, confirm both nvme work, then add drives in ports 1, 2, 4.

Ok ill try that. Thanks a lot. <3 Will give you feedback afterwards.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
On this particular board, it does. I have it.

Ok, I tried it and found out I have the HDD in first SATA so it shouldn't cause the problem. Either way, tried putting it in the second one if it helps.

But I figured that I have a WiFi card added to the desktop, could that cause the issue? I don't understand the lanes and things like that so I would appreciate your opinion. You seem to know quite a lot.

itsdigger

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018

Yup! That's what I'm thinkin! If they share the port, thing's can go awry..

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
The only thing at this point is to remove extra drives and cards and add one by one and see what boots.

Hi, it's me again :D

Wanted to ask you one more question since you seem to know.

Even tho I have x4 it should run on x2 just with half the speed. That is not the problem. The next thing is I tried turning XMP of but didn't do anything. My HDD is in the first SATA slot so that shouldn't be the issue. My colleague had a solid idea to use a PCI-E nvme card for this SSD and that could solve that issue for me. What do you think about that? I am quite stressed about this issue since I saved quite a long time for this and every time I need to start a computer session I have to restart the PC like three times before I make the SSD show up.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Hi everyone.

My problem is quite simple. I have 1TB WD Blue SSD and it never shows up on the first boot of the PC (not in diskpart or disk management). After that, if I restart it, the problem disappears and it works as nothing ever happened.

I was told it could be because of a weak PSU (650W Gold) coz I just got 3070. But the problem was happening even before I got the 3070. I tried getting a PCI-E card for NVME SSD but it didn't help. So I ask, what could be the possible cause?

Here is a link to my PC specs and everything: speccy.piriform.com/results/bDb5gxA4eSeyd73jqZEOHHF

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: ToroHanushka
Solution

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
curious if you need a restart if you turn this off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

try updating BIOS on mb?
try updating chipset drivers - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550
check if there are any firmware updates, and check its health - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279&lang=en
Tried all of the above. First fast startup was off, but the chipset needed update and so did firmware for the SSD. Thanks for the links. It helped quite a lot.

Will tell youafter the day of usage if the problem persists.

Luv ya.

ToroHanushka

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
Ok if anybody cares about solution. I found out its caused by B550 chipset and 4gen PCIE. When I set manually my GPUs and NVME cards Pcie speed to gen3 everything works like a charm. Its temporary solution until they patch it but works.

TRENDING THREADS