Question NVMe SSD suddenly converted to MBR maybe and can't even install Windows on it ?

n3mes1s

Commendable
Sep 13, 2019
Yesterday i was working as usual and suddenly i got a bsod and i restarted the computer. Only that it wont. The nvme ssd where i had windows installed is recognized in bios but nowhere else. If i try to reinstall windows i can't as the installation program wont recognize the m2 drive.

Right now im writing from the phone because i dont have other choice. Any ideas or im basically out of luck and i would need to buy another m2 ssd? But what if it happens again? i already tried using the disk boot repair tool from ubuntu, but its the same problem. It wont even recognize the m2 drive.

is there a way to convert a mbr drive to gpt from bios? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

n3mes1s

Commendable
Sep 13, 2019
Hm, i dont know why i assumed the M2 was converted to MBR, i had this problem about two years ago and i could convert back the disc to GPT and reinstall windows. And it has been working perfectly fine until now... could viruses cause something like this?

But i dont think its the same problem. The fact is that i dont have any means to know if the M2 has been converted to MBR or not. I just dont have access to the drive in any way.

I realized, that the only time the bios recognizes the M2 is when i fresh start the computer, it takes a little longer to show the bios screen too. After that, If i dont even make any changes in bios and i restart, the next boot the M2 is not detected by the bios, at all. Im starting to think that the M2 is damaged somehow.

Also, since i touched many boot options in the bios, and im clueless about how to go back to factory defaults (i dont see any option to do it) im afraid i probably changed something critical and i messed it up. But it doesnt matter if i change any option to how i think it was, nothing changes the outcome.

Im planning to buy a small SSD tomorrow to install windows anyways, because i need the pc to work, but i want to fix this problem, just in case it happens again in the future.

Here are my specifications, also if someone with a similar MB could tell my how in hell can i set the bios to default values, or even how to update it through internet... i did it two years ago, but now for some reason i dont see a single option to update the bios through inet.

One more thing that i forget. Apparently the recovery partition of windows is still there, because i can access the recovery windows screen (that is completely useless, as always) but of course when i try to re install windows i cant, because it doesnt recognize the M2 where windows is installed.

Right now im using the ubunty boot repair disk to access internet and be able to investigate but thats all i got.

Windows 10 Home
Installed in Seagate m2 drive.
CPu: Ryzen 5 2600x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING PLUS
Videocard: GTX1660 GAMING OC 6 GB
Ram: 16GB Corsair 2666 Mhz

Last edited:

jeanphilt

Honorable
Oct 16, 2016
The same thing happened to me today, after a few days editing photos on this drive (sn750) using Lightroom and moving files around, it started to be slow so I rebooted and the problem went away but then, the next day, I tried using the drive and it was gone, even in the bios! So I switched my NVMEs from one slot to the other and the problem magically went away. Weird stuff !

n3mes1s

Commendable
Sep 13, 2019
Well, its not the same thing. My Mobo doesnt have an extra M2 slot to try. So, i took it to the repair shop just in case they could at least leave the M2 working in some way. They couldnt. The M2 was damaged somehow out of fixing. They also told me that, unless you have really expensive Mobo with great M2 support (its not enough that the mobo has an M2 slots, many brands and models are not properly supported depending on the Mobo) its not really worthy to instal 1TB M2 sticks because they cause a lot of problems and its lifespan its extremely short.