Question NVMe Storage

Yankee_LT

Reputable
Apr 21, 2021
Okay, so I have two choices here that I would like to ask you all about. My current PC configuration has a 1TB Operating system drive, the Corsair MP600 Core XT, and a 2TB storage drive of the same. I want to change this to either the MP700 variant (for both drives) or the Samsung 990 Pro. There is the MP700 Pro variant, which is a bit steeper in price. Yes, I understand that there are probably better brands out there, but these are my choices.

Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, so I have two choices here that I would like to ask you all about. My current PC configuration has a 1TB Operating system drive, the Corsair MP600 Core XT, and a 2TB storage drive of the same. I want to change this to either the MP700 variant (for both drives) or the Samsung 990 Pro. There is the MP700 Pro variant, which is a bit steeper in price. Yes, I understand that there are probably better brands out there, but these are my choices.

Thank you.
1. Why change?

2. What motherboard do you have?

I bought a 4TB NVMe drive over the holidays on sale. It's a Nextorage gen 4 with 7300 Mb/s read and 6900 Mb/s write, and comes with a 5 yr warranty. This is the same drive company out of Japan that Sony was co-owner of when the PS5 came out.

Mind you I looked at offerings from Samsung, Western Digital, and Crucial. This drive cost me barely more than $200, and came with a very good heatsink that is easy to take on and off (many aren't). I didn't end up having to use the heatsink because it runs plenty cool enough with the one on my MB. Nice to have it if I ever need it though.

I have learned the hard way with NVMe drives to buy bigger capacity than you need for future readiness. My Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB drive became a nuisance, having to constantly uninstall games I'd not finished to free up room for new games that came out. Many such drives now are fine quality wise. They use high density chips and often come with 5 yr warranty.

I have not regretted this purchase one bit, it always performs very well. Best to buy them on holiday sales though.