Question NVMe v SSD boot priority on MSI Mobo

Roger Bruce

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
I recently had a significant issue with an SSD that basically made my system unbootable. The only solution was to disconnect all my SSDs and do a clean windows 11 install onto my primary NVMe. Works fine. My question however is, if I plug the old bootable SSD into the machine, which drive will it look at to boot from? The NVMe, or the SSD? In the MSI B550 Tomahawk Max WIFI Bios, boot priority doesnt mentions NVMe as an option at all, just SSD, USB, and network.

USAFRet

Titan
It will boot from whichever is first int he BIOS boot order.
It currently says "Windows Boot Manager", correct?

But at your soonest opportunity, you NEED to wipe everything off the old drive.
Having 2 otherwise identical OS can and will lead to confusion later on.

Roger Bruce

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
I intend to get the data I need off that other drive the fdisk and format it to death so it becomes a data drive. what I DONT want it doing is booting from the SSD.
If I go into F11, it should tell me if boot manager is going off the NVMe shouldnt it?

I intend to get the data I need off that other drive the fdisk and format it to death so it becomes a data drive. what I DONT want it doing is booting from the SSD.
If I go into F11, it should tell me if boot manager is going off the NVMe shouldnt it?
Yes that should show all bootable drives and let you choose one you want, You won't be able to format disk you BOOT from so you should actually BOOT from your default drive.
You can also use a program like this
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/portable-partition-magic.html
To boot from USB dongle and do what you want with any disk.