[SOLVED] NVME vs SATA, Open World Games, Texture/Object Pop In

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Alright, I know SSD makes Windows faster, boot faster, loading time in games decreases etc.. etc...

But how much will it actually help texture/objects loading? Does it help against pop in's in open world games?

Will it be better with NVME or should I get SATA SSD?

What kind of speed matters the most in open world games, where textures and objects are constantly being loaded? Is it Random 4k read?

Solution
Wont really help with popin. If you are having Popins they usually a sign you dont have enough VRAM on your GPU or it could be not enough system RAM although that usually causes stuttering.

What are you system specs and what games are the popins happening in?
Wont really help with popin. If you are having Popins they usually a sign you dont have enough VRAM on your GPU or it could be not enough system RAM although that usually causes stuttering.

What are you system specs and what games are the popins happening in?

Solution

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
Alright, I know SSD makes Windows faster, boot faster, loading time in games decreases etc.. etc...

But how much will it actually help texture/objects loading? Does it help against pop in's in open world games?

Will it be better with NVME or should I get SATA SSD?

What kind of speed matters the most in open world games, where textures and objects are constantly being loaded? Is it Random 4k read?
Well, a load faster
Not 4K read I suspect but average speed will do the trick

popatim

Titan
It depends on the exact drives being used. All that texture datais small files and transfers at just about the slowest speed the drive can muster if it's not already preloaded into vram.
A good Sata SSD 4k random speed is typically 32-36-ish MB/s and a bad nvme drive can be just as low. A fast NVME drive, like the 970 Evo is only about 50MB/s for comparison.