[SOLVED] Nvme with M.2 SSD to PCI-e x1 compatibility and performance

Hastamasta

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
Hi there, my motherboard does not have any m.2 slot but for future value, I would like to buy an NVMe SSD. But first, I need to make sure about two things which are also my questions.

1. My motherboard has PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot for graphic cards but I could not find anything specific about the PCI-e versions of x1 slots. Should I assume they are also version 3? Because to my knowledge, the version greatly affects the speed of SSD and in the case of a V 1, I will have lower speeds than SATA SSD but higher if it is v 3.

2. People talk about the problem of motherboards not recognizing SSD when they are slotted into PCI-e. So looking at my hardware can I know certain that it will compatible?

So basically it is about the compatibility and the potential speed I would get. Here are hardware information;

SSD: SanDisk 1 TB Ultra 3D SDSSDH3N
Motherboard: Asus Prime H310M-K
M.2 SSD to PCI-e x1 Converter: Something like this one

Solution
Hi there, my motherboard does not have any m.2 slot but for future value, I would like to buy an NVMe SSD. But first, I need to make sure about two things which are also my questions.

1. My motherboard has PCI-e 3.0 x16 slot for graphic cards but I could not find anything specific about the PCI-e versions of x1 slots. Should I assume they are also version 3? Because to my knowledge, the version greatly affects the speed of SSD and in the case of a V 1, I will have lower speeds than SATA SSD but higher if it is v 3.

2. People talk about the problem of motherboards not recognizing SSD when they are slotted into PCI-e. So looking at my hardware can I know certain that it will compatible?

So basically it is about the...

kanewolf

Titan

So basically it is about the compatibility and the potential speed I would get. Here are hardware information;

A PCIex1 slot will have the same performance as a SATA SSD. I would recommend a SATA SSD. No performance benefit from NVMe.

Hastamasta

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
A PCIex1 slot will have the same performance as a SATA SSD. I would recommend a SATA SSD. No performance benefit from NVMe.
According to this info a PCIe 3.0 x1 supports about 985m/s speed whereas SATA SSD is about 550 mb/s or so. This video also shows an NVMe SSD inserted into pc PCIe 3.0 x1 reaches about 900mb/s speed. Now I know these do not make any difference in real use especially for gaming which is my main purpose. But this is even true for a comparison between full speed NVMe SSD and a normal SSD. Also, I said I would like to buy it for future value since I am probably going to replace my motherboard in a year or two. So while I appreciate the help I would still prefer to buy NVMe SSD if it will be compatible and does not have a lower speed than SATA SSD.

The x1 slot is gen 2.
So your back into the area of sata 3.

Reactions: Hastamasta
Solution
Wow, that changes it completely even though I searched every Manuel on the internet I could not find that info. Can you reference the source if available?