NYT: Microsoft is Helping Russia Suppress Dissent

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Me: Microsoft is helping the US suppress dissent.

The Microsoft monopoly is one of the biggest threats to personal freedom in modern times, they are very cozy with the Feds who allow them to have their monopoly.

neblogai

Distinguished
Nothing strange, law enforcement in Russia is exactly like that. Basically, laws are made poorly, often being absurd, to have everyone break them. Such system of "bardak" (chaos) works perfectly. Everyone can be found guilty for breaking some absurd law, and then power structures can deal with a person by their own wishes. Milicia(police) might treat you bad just for fun, but if you are anti-government- special services will come down on you with every tool they need to crush you.

f-14

Distinguished
you can't always train and old dog new tricks, but you also can't expect an old dog to forget the old tricks

wtf do you expect, it's RUSSIA, china is worse but only if it hurts china, but... piracy in china is typical and standard business practice, always has been, and i don't see that changing anytime soon. in either case if i'm microsoft, in both of those countries whose piracy of my product is a typical normal problem that's costing me millions of dollars, hell i'd train the ex KGB how to find and what to look for myself. that kind of action has a karma that will come back to bite them in the... as well later on down the line.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
NPR had this to, but they made more of a point of what was at the end of this artical whihc is that MS will give them a blanket licence for any Russian NGO. Basicly Russia will have to find another way to silence those that speak out against the govenrment.

tommydyhr

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
"unequivocally abhor any attempt to leverage intellectual property rights to stifle political advocacy or pursue improper personal gain. "
¨
I'm from Denmark, and my response to this bit would equal to: "Qué?"

G

Marriage made in heaven -- big oppressive corporation meets big oppressive regime.

scurvywombat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
The story I heard on NPR had a different spin, that MS was more concerned with the actual distributors of pirated software and really weren't too concerned about little NGO's.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Consider the source. The New York Times ceased being a serious news source many years ago. I put more credence in the National Enquirer than the NYT these days.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]Consider the source. The New York Times ceased being a serious news source many years ago. I put more credence in the National Enquirer than the NYT these days.[/citation]
No joke. Research? Sources? You mean you need some kind of proof before you claim a company is complicit in crushing dissent!? WTFBBQ

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]the title makes it sound like bill gates himself is down there in russia kicking down doors.[/citation]

Balmer actually, Steve is out for a while ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.