Review NZXT H1 Review: SFF Excellence, PSU and AIO Included

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Really wish they'd factored in the option of cooling the GPU with water as well. Pretty sure the radiator wouldn't handle both, but it seems like GPU liquid cooling always takes a back stage to CPU's, when the high end GPU's always put out more heat than CPUs in the mid line platforms.

Reactions: Phaaze88

vinyfiny

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
Really wish they'd factored in the option of cooling the GPU with water as well. Pretty sure the radiator wouldn't handle both, but it seems like GPU liquid cooling always takes a back stage to CPU's, when the high end GPU's always put out more heat than CPUs in the mid line platforms.
I think GPU liquid cooling mostly gets overlooked because there's very few factory liquid cooled GPU's, and it's much more difficult to add a liquid cooler to an air cooled GPU. Using an AIO on a CPU is typically as easy as installing an air cooler.

vinyfiny

Commendable
Oct 11, 2017
So about:
~$80 AIO cooler
~$120 for the power supply. I might go $140 because of the 10 year warranty and it's SFX.

That's about $200. $360 - $200 = $140->$160 case. That's a bit pricey.
It's honestly a decent price for a premium, unique ITX case that's ACTUALLY small (aka not something like the H210). Custom layouts like this tend to be more expensive to manufacture because existing tooling/parts/techniques can't be used, and money has to be spent on R&D. The H210 is $80 because it's a scaled version of an existing case.

Also don't forget the included riser card which is probably worth another $40-$60. Realistically the H1 is a $100 case which I think is perfectly reasonable (honestly it's kind of cheap). Now if they could just replace that front TG with another mesh panel...

It's honestly a decent price for a premium, unique ITX case that's ACTUALLY small (aka not something like the H210). Custom layouts like this tend to be more expensive to manufacture because existing tooling/parts/techniques can't be used, and money has to be spent on R&D. The H210 is $80 because it's a scaled version of an existing case.

Also don't forget the included riser card which is probably worth another $40-$60. Realistically the H1 is a $100 case which I think is perfectly reasonable (honestly it's kind of cheap). Now if they could just replace that front TG with another mesh panel...

Riser cards are $15. The market is flooded with them due to miners, and plenty of ITX cases already have them included.

For example, the Fractal Designs Node 202 is commonly $80 and includes a riser card. And it's smaller than this. (Although I must admit, not as stylish)

I can see NZXT cashing in on the fact this looks like the proposed new XBox

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The panels of the case are well ventilated due to the excessive vents in the mesh.

In theory, the front tempered glass could be replaced by the rear mesh panel - they are identical in size, if I recall, making them interchangeable. So, you could simply swap the front and rear panels if you wished. Otherwise, perhaps NZXT will release a model that does not have the glass front and a mesh panel instead.

Overall, I did like the case, although the layout does not leave much space for additional components or cabling.

The graphics card relocation is very nice and providing room for all but the largest GPUs (3x PCIe or extended length cards might not fit).

What makes GPU liquid cooling difficult is the difference in PCB layout and TDP requirements per card, per vendor, per SKU. GPUs also tend to have a higher TDP than most CPUs, but conversely, also seem to respond very well to liquid cooling - drops in 20-30C under load are common, but again, depends on method and actual liquid cooling being used.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
I used to build SFF. Then I realized that consuming ~25% more surface or floor space wasn't really an issue for me, and that I could far more easily build a quieter machine using a larger radiator with larger and more slowly rotating fans. To say nothing of the wider range of parts available for a normal sized chassis.

I'm much happier now.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
So about:
~$80 AIO cooler
~$120 for the power supply. I might go $140 because of the 10 year warranty and it's SFX.

Yeah, if you want a larger selection of compatible parts and the more competitive pricing that comes with that then SFF usually isn't the route to take. I certainly never saved any money building that form factor, and in fact it usually entails substantial compromise.

In my experience the smaller footprint really only pays dividends with less performance sensitive commodity applications, like plopping them down on lab benches or in business offices.

Yeah, if you want a larger selection of compatible parts and the more competitive pricing that comes with that then SFF usually isn't the route to take. I certainly never saved any money building that form factor, and in fact it usually entails substantial compromise.

In my experience the smaller footprint really only pays dividends with less performance sensitive commodity applications, like plopping them down on lab benches or in business offices.

In my case I'm building a new pfSense box and a new UNRAID box. I don't need a lot of space or power for those applications. It's more fashion conscious as they sit inside an entertainment center.

For a while, I wondered what the writer meant by "(7.36 x 7.36 inches square) ". How is this rectangular shoebox being considered to be square?? Then I realized he was just talking about the square end, even though all of the pics show the designed way the case will stand is vertical.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The 'square' end (the base sitting on the table, etc) would be what I consider the footprint; as that denotes the area in which the PC occupies when free-standing.

This would be the same if you consider a tall building; the footprint it occupies is defined by the base of the structure as it makes contact with the surface that supports its mass.

For the record, the case could easily be laid on a side that does not impede airflow to the GPU or block airflow for the AIO or PSU.

dorianh94

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Would be great if you could purchase just the case. Not all are interested in purchasing this kind of bundle, especially at that price. Also, your GPU is gonna get chocked. Personally, all of this seems bad, not really worth it. It may appeal to some, but that's a small number of people.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The H1 reminds me of the Silverstone FT03 Mini. I like what NZXT has done here. Impressively compact! I love the aesthetic of it too. Normal towers and mid-towers waste too much space. I'd rather take a well thought-out and space conscious design over some giant, RGB-ified metal and glass box.

I'd like to see NZXT make another case like the H1 but focused on the mATX form factor. After having owned an mITX system in the past, I feel that the mITX form factor is too limiting.

The 'square' end (the base sitting on the table, etc) would be what I consider the footprint; as that denotes the area in which the PC occupies when free-standing.

This would be the same if you consider a tall building; the footprint it occupies is defined by the base of the structure as it makes contact with the surface that supports its mass.

For the record, the case could easily be laid on a side that does not impede airflow to the GPU or block airflow for the AIO or PSU.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but I was confused when I read "square" and then saw pictures of the tall, rectangular case. I understand your explanation, though I would never call a skyscraper a "square" based upon the footprint. ;)

Would be great if you could purchase just the case. Not all are interested in purchasing this kind of bundle, especially at that price.

Yeah, I would be more interested in how this case works w/o the AIO. My next Ryzen build will just be a simple air cooler, so I'm interested in something a bit simpler.

I also curious what was hooked up to the Type-C port on top. I'm looking for 3.1 Gen 2 connection, so I'd like to know what motherboard was used in this test case & if it was able to connect cleanly to the Type-C port.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
In my case I'm building a new pfSense box and a new UNRAID box. I don't need a lot of space or power for those applications. It's more fashion conscious as they sit inside an entertainment center.

All good reasons for going SFF.

If you're just building a pfSense appliance then have you considered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742P83H...colid=OPP23FFKXWBH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They're VERY small and silent. Even the more powerful ones though probably aren't suited for doing RAID, but there are "SFF" chassis explicitly designed for building your own storage array.

All good reasons for going SFF.

If you're just building a pfSense appliance then have you considered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742P83H...colid=OPP23FFKXWBH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They're VERY small and silent. Even the more powerful ones though probably aren't suited for doing RAID, but there are "SFF" chassis explicitly designed for building your own storage array.

That is impressive. Thanks for the heads up.

I went with a Fractal Designs node 304 for the Unraid. It will hold 6 drives + NVMe. I'm stuffing my old 2400g in it. Probably a bit of overkill, but it will be handing PLEX transcoding and incremental backups.

Feb 26, 2020
Im not that familiar with sfx. Could you get one of those external power bricks? Then replace the internal PSU and Radiator with a Kraken x63?
Another thing is, would switching the two fans inside for Noctuas help out with the thermals? How about somehow adding an extra cooler at the bottom of the case or adding extra coolers on the back of the case with some DiY?
I know its not elegant and I probably wouldn't do it but just curious. Im really attracted to the visual design of this case, I love nzxt minimal approach. I have a H510 and the s340 before it And was looking to downsize. The Ncase M1 is probably better but at 200 euros (case only) and having to snipe it off an online store is pretty daunting. The availability of this case will help it a lot!

Im not that familiar with sfx. Could you get one of those external power bricks? Then replace the internal PSU and Radiator with a Kraken x63?
Another thing is, would switching the two fans inside for Noctuas help out with the thermals? How about somehow adding an extra cooler at the bottom of the case or adding extra coolers on the back of the case with some DiY?
I know its not elegant and I probably wouldn't do it but just curious. Im really attracted to the visual design of this case, I love nzxt minimal approach. I have a H510 and the s340 before it And was looking to downsize. The Ncase M1 is probably better but at 200 euros (case only) and having to snipe it off an online store is pretty daunting. The availability of this case will help it a lot!

SFX is just a smaller form factor ATX power supply. It has all the same connector standards outside that. Because it is smaller, it causes the price to go up over an ATX supply.

Could you rig an external supply and use that extra space? Probably with some cutting and ugliness. That defeats the purpose of htis case. You may also be limited on what accessories you have inside the case. I have NEVER seen an external power supply that can power a GPU.

I would keep looking. There are plenty of bare bones cases external supplies on new egg. I'm not saying they are quality, powerful, or as elegant, but they do exist.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
H1 Mini PC Pre-Built Thermals

Peak
Current (1 Browser tab open): CPU 30°C / GPU 55°C

Peak
Control / RTX On: CPU 41°C / GPU 75°C
Shadow of Tomb Raider Benchmark / RTX Off: CPU 54°C / GPU 74°C
Shadow of Tomb Raider Benchmark / RTX High: CPU 50°C / GPU 73°C (umm...)

Cooling works great.

Last edited:

Jermaine Walker

Honorable
Apr 13, 2015
So about:
~$80 AIO cooler

Nah, $160 is not steep at all for a decent quality case, IMHO, much less something kind of novel. I think they did a good job with this barebones setup.