Discussion NZXT H440 HDD Cage

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Hey all,

I have the older, white NZXT H440 case, and it has an HDD cage that limits the width of GPU I can fit. I've taken my HDD bays out, so length is not an issue. I have an RTX 3090 FE coming tomorrow, which has a measured width of 138mm. I just measured the distance between my mobo and the edge of the HDD cage, and it's like ...140mm. I have a strong feeling the 3090 is either not going to fit or I'm going to need to somehow mod my case a bit to make it fit...

Does anyone know if that panel that I'm referring to is removeable? If not, what are some recommendations to make this beast fit? I really didn't want to get a new case just yet. My only thoughts are taking a pair of plyers and bending that piece a bit as to make room for the card. Or, using a Dremel to cut that section out. The Dremel isn't ideal, as I'd have to remove / cover most components to protect from metal shards. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't believe that 'panel' is removable in those older cases as it's structural. Nothing stopping you dremeling it out, or removing the rivets etc.

HOWEVER, while it'll be a tight fit, I suspect you'll be ok with the 3090 FE.

GPU Clearance Without HDD Cage: 428mm
https://www.nzxt.com/products/h440-white

So, length won't be an issue, and you can fit a 3 slot card in no problem... so it's just going to be 'height' of the card that could be a problem...... and from what I can find, it's 5.4". Then the benefit of the FE puts the power connector in the middle of the card. Fitting that in a traditional location would put it right behind/up against the drive panel, so would've been a problem.

Might take some tilting etc to get the card in, but there's a good chance it'll fit as-is.

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
I don't believe that 'panel' is removable in those older cases as it's structural. Nothing stopping you dremeling it out, or removing the rivets etc.

HOWEVER, while it'll be a tight fit, I suspect you'll be ok with the 3090 FE.

So, length won't be an issue, and you can fit a 3 slot card in no problem... so it's just going to be 'height' of the card that could be a problem...... and from what I can find, it's 5.4". Then the benefit of the FE puts the power connector in the middle of the card. Fitting that in a traditional location would put it right behind/up against the drive panel, so would've been a problem.

Might take some tilting etc to get the card in, but there's a good chance it'll fit as-is.

Hey thanks for the response, that's encouraging! I'll try to wiggle it in tomorrow and see what can be done. It "technically" should fit, but I know that getting the PCIe slot lined up and everything will be tricky. Good point about the power connector being in the middle of the card. I hadn't even though of that. I'll post pictures if it fits! If it does fit, I think it'll just be temporary...I've been stuffing this case full of the largest radiators, fans and now GPU's that it can fit. I think all components would be much happier in a full sized case down the road.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, it's going to be very, very close. I don't envy you having to try to wiggle it in there, I'll say that.... but at least on paper, it should fit.

If the card had the power connectors at the end as traditionally would be the case, there's no way it would fit.
You're going to have a couple of mm at best to work with - nowhere close to enough room to fit a power connector.... so this is one time the (subjectively) ugly positioning of the 12 pin could be a benefit!

I think it'll just be temporary...I've been stuffing this case full of the largest radiators, fans and now GPU's that it can fit. I think all components would be much happier in a full sized case down the road.

A very good plan. Quality, roomy options don't have to break the bank either - there are lots of cases in even the <$100 pricepoint that offer good build quality, decent Rad & fan compatibility and (subjectively) good looks while also being able to accommodate a 3090 FE. The Phanteks Eclipse P300/A/Mesh, Fractal Meshify C and Lian Li Lancool II-X all come to mind.... ranging from $60-$100.

hopkins802

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Yeah, it's going to be very, very close. I don't envy you having to try to wiggle it in there, I'll say that.... but at least on paper, it should fit.

If the card had the power connectors at the end as traditionally would be the case, there's no way it would fit.
You're going to have a couple of mm at best to work with - nowhere close to enough room to fit a power connector.... so this is one time the (subjectively) ugly positioning of the 12 pin could be a benefit!

A very good plan. Quality, roomy options don't have to break the bank either - there are lots of cases in even the <$100 pricepoint that offer good build quality, decent Rad & fan compatibility and (subjectively) good looks while also being able to accommodate a 3090 FE. The Phanteks Eclipse P300/A/Mesh, Fractal Meshify C and Lian Li Lancool II-X all come to mind.... ranging from $60-$100.

Nice! Yeah, the Lian Li Lancool has caught my eye for sure. Also the Corsair 570x. I also just found a post about modding my current case on Reddit. Someone just drilled holes through where this HDD cage panel is connected via the rivets and removed it. Said it made no impact on the structural stability of the case. I may do that ahead of time just to make my life easier tomorrow..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nice! Yeah, the Lian Li Lancool has caught my eye for sure. Also the Corsair 570x. I also just found a post about modding my current case on Reddit. Someone just drilled holes through where this HDD cage panel is connected via the rivets and removed it. Said it made no impact on the structural stability of the case. I may do that ahead of time just to make my life easier tomorrow..

I'm kind of curious how it would go without doing that, but that would make it easier. And drilling out rivets shouldn't result in shards everywhere - but still take the components out of the case and dust/vacuum it out well afterwards to be 100% sure.

Looking at pictures, I'd imagine there's some structural rigidity afforded by the panel, but it's probably not going to be substantially weaker as a result of removing