[SOLVED] NZXT H710i - Fan layout for optimal cooling ?

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Sup!

So, last parts should arrive next week.

I gave some thought to the layout of the fans in order to optimize airflow and cooling.

My idea is:
Intake: 3x120mm front | 1x140mm back
Exhaust: 3x120mm from Asus Ryujin II 360 mounted on top.

My reasoning behind this:

1. Would definitely help having a positive pressure, since the front panel is not mesh, but side slits that draw air in.
  2. A top AIO exhaust generally results in cooler GPU, hotter CPU due to passing slightly warmer air through the CPU radiator.
  3. Heat rises, so blowing cooler air from the front and rear would help pushing more air through the CPU radiator whilst also blowing more cold air on the GPU.
My only issue with this configuration is air volume and speed, I didn't run any physics model on this haha but I'm worried that this type of configuration MAY cause turbulence (although very slight but mini 'dead' zones with air running around in a circle) in the bottom rear and top rear of the case, i.e. on top of the PSU, and near the I/O of the MB.

Has anyone else run with this type of setup?

Solution
NZXT's H700 series is a 'solution' to the H500's poor airflow by brute forcing things to decent airflow via moar fans.

IMO, the company's H series chassis are air cooled models. AIOs are largely wasted in them.
There's no large open mesh panel in any of them - except the H510 Flow - leading to users 'stacking walls'* using 240mm or larger AIOs and sacrificing cooling efficiency. [The radiator itself is a fair source of air resistance.]
The harder the resistance is, the higher the fans need to be run to make up for it, compared to more open mesh chassis, but that means more noise, and no one likes more noise, so the fan speeds will still be kept low.
Stacked walls with fans at low rpm = worse cooling overall, Vs rad + open mesh at low...
Sup!

So, last parts should arrive next week.

I gave some thought to the layout of the fans in order to optimize airflow and cooling.

My idea is:
Intake: 3x120mm front | 1x140mm back
Exhaust: 3x120mm from Asus Ryujin II 360 mounted on top.

My reasoning behind this:

1. Would definitely help having a positive pressure, since the front panel is not mesh, but side slits that draw air in.
  2. A top AIO exhaust generally results in cooler GPU, hotter CPU due to passing slightly warmer air through the CPU radiator.
  3. Heat rises, so blowing cooler air from the front and rear would help pushing more air through the CPU radiator whilst also blowing more cold air on the GPU.
My only issue with this configuration is air volume and speed, I didn't run any physics model on this haha but I'm worried that this type of configuration MAY cause turbulence (although very slight but mini 'dead' zones with air running around in a circle) in the bottom rear and top rear of the case, i.e. on top of the PSU, and near the I/O of the MB.

Has anyone else run with this type of setup?
Forget about #3. as soon as there are any fans convection doesn't work any more, it's much weaker force. Your main problem may be poor air intake due to small inlet. Some turbulence will always be present If you could ad another fan at bottom, that would help GPU and air flow to the whole.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NZXT's H700 series is a 'solution' to the H500's poor airflow by brute forcing things to decent airflow via moar fans.

IMO, the company's H series chassis are air cooled models. AIOs are largely wasted in them.
There's no large open mesh panel in any of them - except the H510 Flow - leading to users 'stacking walls'* using 240mm or larger AIOs and sacrificing cooling efficiency. [The radiator itself is a fair source of air resistance.]
The harder the resistance is, the higher the fans need to be run to make up for it, compared to more open mesh chassis, but that means more noise, and no one likes more noise, so the fan speeds will still be kept low.
Stacked walls with fans at low rpm = worse cooling overall, Vs rad + open mesh at low rpm.

Positive pressure in the H700? I guess that can be done via front + no rear fan + top exhaust, but it's negative pressure focused, just like the other Hs...

Solution