NZXT HUE+ safe or not?

Qtroz1

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Hi,
So my friend installed the NZXT HUE+ on his pc and appearently it killed his MSI Z270 SLI PLUS mobo, but am not sure if it was the one who killed it.

So now he is getting a new mobo and im installing it for him, but should i install the NZXT HUE for him or not?

People were complaining about it for a long time but am not sure if its fixed or not.

Thanks

Solution
The guy on Youtube came out with another video afterwards saying that he ended up biffing the install on it. He screwed up, and he publicly owned up to it after NZXT and GamersNexus personally looked at the Hue+ he was using and how he had set it up. He used an incorrect molex connector that only sent 3.3v instead of the 5 that it needed. That debacle was entirely a Salem witch hunt, and shouldn't be looked at as the Hue+ being unsafe. And there were people complaining on Reddit only after Salazar came out with the video, and there were only 3-4 people that came forward with it when there are literally thousands of units out there being used just fine.

I don't believe it's anything to worry about.
I never really saw the point to the Hue. I use the the Phanteks Fan PCB Hub

Using a DCV Header, it can provide speed control for up to 1 amps worth of 3-pin fans ... (6) 140mm 1250 rpm ~ 0.84 amps
Using a PWM Header, it can provide speed control for up to 30 amps worth of 3-pn fans ... (11) 140mm 1250 rpm ~ 1.54 amps

With PWM header, it provides all of the advantages of PWM (low speed control) with none of the disadvantages (cost, low speed hum / clicking)/. With DCV, low speed is on par w/ PWM 21-25%

EDIT: I can in from a fan control thread, left to get coffee and came back w/o shifting gears ... wearing Dumbass hat for next hour

D

Deleted member 217926

The Hue+ is a lighting controller.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/hue-plus

I've never heard of any problems with it. Sounds like a fluke or user error.

i used the hue+ for led strips not fans

yet to find software controlled leds as good

my asus aura kind of sucks compared to it to be honest---the control of every single led by cam software was fantastic in my opinion

edit--explained its for leds just about same time as anort3 did it too

genthug

Honorable

Hue+ is a lighting control mainly--not a fan hub.

By "People were complaining about it for a long time" do you mean: "Science Studio said it killed two of his editing rigs"? Or is there something else that I missed that happened with the Hue+?

Duh ... I came in from another thread on NZXT fan control and didn't change my train of thought. While I do like LED accent lighting, I just don't "get" the whole pulsing / changing LED thing.

lol

its so we can pretend we are in a disco :)

actually it lets you change the theme of your pc with out needing to change any hardware

and it doesnt have to pulse/strobe

can set solid colours

or other effects like comet etc

or have half the led strip one colour to highlight a certain area/component

the other half a different colour to highlight another

its the versatility of it that appeals to a lot of people

Qtroz1

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
I am not sure if it was because of the hue or not. But his pc was working just fine before he installed it.

And yes i mean that guy on youtube, and also i saw other people complaining about it forums but thats from a year ago. Not sure if its fizxed now or not.

Would the molex cable be the problem?? Because he used a molex cable that i dont think was with the power supply, he uses the Evga supernova g1 650w.

genthug

Honorable
The guy on Youtube came out with another video afterwards saying that he ended up biffing the install on it. He screwed up, and he publicly owned up to it after NZXT and GamersNexus personally looked at the Hue+ he was using and how he had set it up. He used an incorrect molex connector that only sent 3.3v instead of the 5 that it needed. That debacle was entirely a Salem witch hunt, and shouldn't be looked at as the Hue+ being unsafe. And there were people complaining on Reddit only after Salazar came out with the video, and there were only 3-4 people that came forward with it when there are literally thousands of units out there being used just fine.

I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

Solution