NZXT Kraken X61 Pump Buzzing Noises

mysixc

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
My Kraken X61 has really loud buzzing noises coming from the pump. On my BIOS when I changed my CPU Fan from PWM to DC, the buzzing noises are gone. But now every 10~20s my pump has a rattling noise for a second. This happens continously.

Ok, so what NZXT says on their website is that, fan must be on 12V in order to eliminate the rattling noise.

> On Smart Fan mode, voltage changes according to temperature, thus giving a rattling noise every so often.

> Without Smart Fan mode, voltage is always at 12V, rattling sound gone. But my pump now has a buzzing zzzz noise.

>> So what I have concluded is that with higher voltage, there will be a buzzing noise. With a lower voltage, there will be a rattling noise.

So what should I do :(

My specs:

i7 7700K
MSI Z270i Gaming Pro Carbon AC
NZXT Kraken X61
Corsair RGB DDR4 2666Mhz
MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Twin Frozr
NZXT Manta Case.

Solution
To change the sound comming from the pump, you have to adjust the pump speed.
I never used an AIO before but from what I can see on the pictures from it what you can try is to plug your radiator fans into a motherboard fan header (PWM)
then just set you pump to PWN and set a fixed RPM (not to low since you need flow)
Play around with fan speeds and pump speeds until you get the level of sound you like and the temps are still fine. Or just set a fan curve so that the radiator fans spin up according to your water temps.

mysixc

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

I did change the fans from the stock to Corsair ML140mm PRO fans, but then when I ramped up the radiator fans or slow them down, it didn't change the noises coming out of the pump. Will that matter or do I still have to try a better pair of fans.

To change the sound comming from the pump, you have to adjust the pump speed.
I never used an AIO before but from what I can see on the pictures from it what you can try is to plug your radiator fans into a motherboard fan header (PWM)
then just set you pump to PWN and set a fixed RPM (not to low since you need flow)
Play around with fan speeds and pump speeds until you get the level of sound you like and the temps are still fine. Or just set a fan curve so that the radiator fans spin up according to your water temps.

Solution