[SOLVED] NZXT Kraken X63 - AIO, CPU FAN or CPU OPT connecetion

Dec 29, 2020
Hi

I have purchased a NZXT Kraken X63 to connect to my ASUS TUF X570 Plus mobo. I am, however, unsure if it is best to connect the pump to the AIO or CPU FAN header on my mobo. I have considered connection the pump to the AIO, fan 1 of the X63 to the CPU FAN header and fan 2 to the CPU OPT header.
Will I still get a warning if the pump fails when it is connected to the AIO, or is it better to connect the pump to the CPU FAN and the actual fans to the CPU OPT using a splitter?

I will be using the ASUS Fan Expert 4 to configure the fans, and I am thinking that it I will get the best result if I connect as instructed on the mobo manual (i.e. the pump to tie AIO header). What will you recommend?

Solution
With a Kraken X63 AIO system the cooling control system is changed. The PUMP unit has a multi-headed cable coming out from it, as well as a small socket on the side for a second cable. The instructions tell you to plug the PUMP's 3-pin fan connector into the CPU_FAN header. There is a connection to make to a SATA power output from the PSU. There is a cable with several fan output connectors, and THAT is where you must plug in the rad fans. In doing this, ensure that one of the rad fans is plugged into the first output that has all four pins. Then there is a small separate cable that you must connect between the pump's side socket and a mobo USB2 header. Finally, you must download and install the free CAM software utility from NZXT...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
With a Kraken X63 AIO system the cooling control system is changed. The PUMP unit has a multi-headed cable coming out from it, as well as a small socket on the side for a second cable. The instructions tell you to plug the PUMP's 3-pin fan connector into the CPU_FAN header. There is a connection to make to a SATA power output from the PSU. There is a cable with several fan output connectors, and THAT is where you must plug in the rad fans. In doing this, ensure that one of the rad fans is plugged into the first output that has all four pins. Then there is a small separate cable that you must connect between the pump's side socket and a mobo USB2 header. Finally, you must download and install the free CAM software utility from NZXT. That utility communicates with the X63 system via the USBN2 cable connection. It takes over control of CPU cooling.

With this system, the cable from the pump to the CPU_FAN header allows the PUMP to report its speed to that header. In BIOS Setup, that header will show the speed of its "fan", but that really is the pump. And it cannot show you the rad fan speeds. BUT you should be using the CAM software tool instead. It will report the pump speed properly and show you the rad fan speeds. It will control CPU internal temperatures automatically by changing the rad fan speeds. The mobo CPU_FAN header's important second function of monitoring the speed of its "fan" for failure WILL still be carried out, except that it actually will monitor the speed of the pump, which is the most critical component of this AIO system. That is why you plug the pump's speed signal cable into the CPU_FAN header.

Solution
Dec 29, 2020
Thank you very much. The manual for the X63 does, however, say to connect it to the CPU_FAN header OR the AIO header. The manual for my mobo says to connect it to the AIO.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The main reason that the mobo manual tells you to use the AIO header for the pump is to leave the CPU_FAN header free for the rad fans. SOME AIO kits do NOT use their own software to take over control of CPU cooling and let the CPU_FAN header do that job by controlling fan speed as normal. When you have such a system, then you do need another place for the AIO system pump where it can get the proper power AND have its speed monitored separately. Assuming that your mobo DOES monitor the AIO device's speed for failure AND that the NZXT CAM software will figure out where you plug in the pump, you can plug it in there. However, you still should let the CAM software take control of the rad fans by haviong them connected to the cable from the pump unit, and NOT to the CPU_FAN header.