NZXT s340 Elite case: Would a Kraken liquid cooler also cool case?

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
I just did a new build in a NZXT 340 Elite Case. I have an I7-770K air cooled with a cool master hyper 212 Evo. My gpu is an EVGA Geforce 980 TI Gaming ACX 2.0 (the one with two built-in GPU fans).

The case only comes with two fans. (140 & 120).

My temps are OK - nothing to worry about - just wanting to optimize my build.

I was thinking about adding a kraken water cooler, since the case is designed for it. I've never had a water cooled cpu. Would the water radiator also decrease the heat in the case - thus helping with the GPU temp?

Or should I just had more fans. (Just two fans seem odd to me.)

Thanks

Solution
A9 is a 98 mm fan and will buzz like a mosquito. Don't get that.
I'd get NF-P14s redux, either 1200 or 1500 rpm PWM as it's all you need for a case really.
Or if money isn't an issue, you could go for NF-A14 PWM
If you decide to stay with current cooler, adding two 140mm intake fans (no matter which ones) should cool things down considerably for you. If you're going with kraken, then don't get the fans, kraken will go in the place where these fans would normally go.

AtomicSniiper

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
You can definitely place the fans in a way where they would pull air in but it won't really be "cold" air as the air would pass through the fins of the radiator thus making it a bit warm.

So it would increase the case's airflow but the air will be a bit warm.

Sedivy

Estimable
If you put in a radiator, it would go at the front of the case, replacing your front fan, in which case you can stick that one fan onto the back top slot, without buying any extra individual fans. Yes more overall air in and air out will help with cooling ultimately and you should see temperatures drop.
Strangely enough, with gpus that blow hot air into the case like yours does, front mounted radiator actually decrease temps overall better than top mounted ones apparently. I was kinda suprised at this as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves
though there are other factors to think of such as overall volume and balance of air flow in the case.

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014

So based on feedback - I'm thinking I'll just buy two 140 mm fans at the front of the case for intake. Just leave the two stock fans alone (they are both exhaust fans).

I'm looking at Noctua 140mm Premium Quiet Quality Case Cooling Fan NF-A14 FLX or Noctua AAO Frame Design SSO2 Bearing Quiet Fan(NF-A9 PWM).

Does that sound about right? Any commenets on the Noctua fans I listed above?

Thanks

Sedivy

Estimable
A9 is a 98 mm fan and will buzz like a mosquito. Don't get that.
I'd get NF-P14s redux, either 1200 or 1500 rpm PWM as it's all you need for a case really.
Or if money isn't an issue, you could go for NF-A14 PWM
If you decide to stay with current cooler, adding two 140mm intake fans (no matter which ones) should cool things down considerably for you. If you're going with kraken, then don't get the fans, kraken will go in the place where these fans would normally go.

Solution

amtseung

Distinguished
NF-A9's are 92mm fans. The name (the 9 in the A9) gives that away. All noctua fans are pretty good. Some argue they're the best fans ever. I say they're overpriced, but they aren't bad.

For the NZXT S340 Elite, just like its older standard variant that I'm currently using, that front panel is incredibly restrictive. Much more than you'd imagine. Getting static pressure optimized fans for the front is actually crucial in getting good case airflow. EK Vardar, Phanteks PH-F140MP, Fractal R2, or Corsair ML fans would help in this aspect. Those NF-A14's should be pretty good too. Or you can overpay for eLoops and have the sexiest fans in your neighbourhood. Too bad there was never a 140mm gentle tyhpoon :( .

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014
Could you please clarify - why a static fan on the front panel?

I'm looking at these two based on your input:

Phanteks PH-F140MP_BBK_PWM, 500- 1600RPM, Frame/Blades 140mm, Radiator Fan, Black
Phanteks 140mm, PWM, High Static Pressure Radiator Retail Cooling Fan PH-F140MP_BK_PWM

Sedivy

Estimable
Static pressure fans are designed to maintain high air pressure through a filter or a radiator. Putting them onto the front panel is not a bad idea, to maintain good stream of air over the gpu/cpu, even through the filter mesh. I myself have two static pressure fans at the front. That being said, the noctua fans discussed do have pretty good static pressure so that's why they would all be fine. All the ones mentioned in this thread are good really, you won't go wrong with any of them.

thane108

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2014

Thanks - this has all been very helpful and much appreciated.