NZXT's Noctis 450 Case Updates H440 Design, Adds Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I have the white H440. I do agree the original hub was useless. I ended up getting the CAM fan hub and optimized the cooling and noise in the already quiet case.

Obviously this is just a plastic exterior shell with the same internals, and I must say it is ugly. I don't understand. Anyone with style knows that nothing else in your house has shapes like these cases except for maybe my Netgear Nighthawk router, but either way it just doesnt work well and you can clearly see its only purpose is to mask a perfectly normal case.

I doubt this will sell as well as the H440. This article mentioned aggressive which has NO place in the computer world haha. It is a computer...lets be honest :)

With that said. NZXT makes great cases and the internals of this are great!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Obviously this is just a plastic exterior shell with the same internals, and I must say it is ugly. I don't understand. Anyone with style knows that nothing else in your house has shapes like these cases except for maybe my Netgear Nighthawk router, but either way it just doesnt work well and you can clearly see its only purpose is to mask a perfectly normal case.

I doubt this will sell as well as the H440. This article mentioned aggressive which has NO place in the computer world haha. It is a computer...lets be honest :)

I don't understand either. I personally prefer extremely basic looking cases (Fractal Design's Define series, for example). Even the H440 is a little too "stylish" for me.

This case reminds me of pre-Dell Alienware cases... and it is really REALLY ugly. But, hey... some people absolutely love this type of look, so what do I know

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I recently purchased a Black/Blue H440 from NZXT and I agree the fan hub was a huge disappointment. I promptly replaced it with a Corsair Commander Mini which is way better than the NZXT Grid+ as is controls each fan individually instead of a single fan curve.

I then installed Corsair LED strips for RGB lighting which looks great!!

The lighting included should be RGB as not all customers want a black/red or white/blue scheme. If it was RGB then anyone can set their own colour. They still did not make the PSU shroud removable, it is a PITA to install a PSU and get the cables connected so you have to connect the cables first then install the PSU. So if you decide to add more hardware later and need to connect a new cable like a second GPU 8pin, you have to remove the PSU to connect it.

Mr Soup

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I think it is a nice facelift on a pretty good case, but in the price range there are others I like better. eye of the beholder and all that. But I have to question why so many manufacturers use Red LEDs for cases/keyboards. I have always associated red with stop, fault, heat, etc. None of which I want associated with my computer. Not to mention red light is just not a part of the spectrum I want to look at all day. Blue, green, purple I get to a point but why red? Meh, maybe I'm just too old...

The styling is pretty aggressive, may appeal to some while not to others since it's all about taste. Nice to see they upgraded the fan hub. Still surprised to see a modern case with such restrictive fan mounting. Only up to 120mm's in the front and top? Many cases now are capable of 140mm, some even 200mm. For the price and considering they're saving money turning to plastic side panels I think they could have put a bit more thought into it. It's pretty simply to make a multiple mount platform that accommodates both 120mm and 140mm fans at the least.

Maybe it doesn't matter to others, but some may find it off putting that a rehash of an existing case, dropping metal for plastic comes with an even higher pricetag than the previous model by a good $30-40 depending on discounts.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
The styling is pretty aggressive, may appeal to some while not to others since it's all about taste. Nice to see they upgraded the fan hub. Still surprised to see a modern case with such restrictive fan mounting. Only up to 120mm's in the front and top? Many cases now are capable of 140mm, some even 200mm. For the price and considering they're saving money turning to plastic side panels I think they could have put a bit more thought into it. It's pretty simply to make a multiple mount platform that accommodates both 120mm and 140mm fans at the least.

Maybe it doesn't matter to others, but some may find it off putting that a rehash of an existing case, dropping metal for plastic comes with an even higher pricetag than the previous model by a good $30-40 depending on discounts.

The fan options are not as limited as you think. The options are 3x 120mm in the front and the roof or 2x 140mm in the front and the roof. Its the same layout as a H440, it just have a facelift.

200mm fans are pointless as when you place a fan filter infront of them it cuts almost all of its airflow. The Fractal Define S have triple 140mm fan mounts in the front and top but no sound dampening

You're right, I was going by the article which failed to mention that. Might've been a nice include to the article, the way it's written looks like a very limited fan placement. I still think charging an additional $30-40 while dropping the quality from metal to plastic on the side panel is going a bit in the wrong direction. Nzxt isn't alone, there have been several nice newer cases. The snag comes in the pricing compared to current competition with equal or greater options like they're just spitballing the price without paying attention to the current market.

Nice that they added a Phanteks Type Fan Hub, but at the stated MSRP, someone gotta explain why it has a shot against the Enthoo Luxe for $10 more which has built in 10 color RGB expandable LED control system, water cooling support, better construction and is able to fit Gigabyte 970 GFX cards.

xD3aDPooLx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
We do support Gigabyte 970 cards in the case. The PWM does a little bit more than Phanteks PWM hub ( we did alot of research). The N450 does support Push/Pull fan support for 2 360 rads in the case with no modding at all. They only thing is the RGB LED on the Enthoo vs the N450 which to most isnt a issue.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I don't understand 5.25 bayless mid or full towers. Removable cage maybe, but just straight up lacking?

And angles, shiny, and light bars.. is this a computer case or a boy racer car?

1. The article says:

The internal design of the case is actually identical to that of the H440, offering room for an ATX motherboard, thee dual-slot graphics cards up to 294 mm long with the hard drive cages installed

The Gigabyte card is 312 mm long. How do you fit 312mm GFX cards in a 294mm space ? I understand w/ HD cages removed you can fit the cards, but on other cases, that's not necessary.

2. Good move on the hub redesign, the original was pretty much useless to my eyes. Could you explain how the Phanteks and NZXT hubs differ .... and will it be available as a separate accessory ?

I was hoping the new version of the H440 would retain the clean looks of the original, but with the ability to put something on top...... opticals, card readers, fan controllers, temp monitors, hot swap drive bay cage, LCD screen. tec.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

It is just awesome to see NZXT actively writing in forums and discussion. Although I am not a huge fan of this case and prefer the H440 over this, you guys are a great company! My only change would be "Made in USA" stamped in metal on the back of the case instead of China! I'd pay extra for that!

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Red is easier than Blue on the eyes. My H440 has the white LED's and they are the only color I would use.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

They can always go the route of Apple and stamp "Designed in USA" big on the back and stamp "made in China in fine type 3 font on the bottom behind a case foot lol

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Looks like a great case. I wish it was a full tower though. I'm torn between a full tower NZXT Phantom case or Corsair. Anyone have experience with CAM and Corsair's Link? Meaningful or gimmick?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Would these be any good for Windows and gaming? I was looking at the Samsung Pro, Sandisk Pro, and I see this one.

(disregard- looks like this posted in the wrong area and I can't delete it.

xD3aDPooLx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

1. This is just do to each case layout. How the H440 is laid out and the overall size of the case depict on how much room there is for the GPU.

2. Same concept on both. You have a header from the PWM board that relays information to and from the motherboard. There is an external power connection so that you dont fry the motherboard at all. With AI Suite and other programs (depending on motherboards) you can adjust the fan speeds that are connected to the hub via PWM signal. Its rather simple and complicated at the same time. It will be some time before it does come to market.

3. Adding those items makes it not the H440. As the H440 stands it changed the game, and is causing other companies to play catch up and evolve. Sometimes those items arent needed with the way software and hardware is being approached.

xD3aDPooLx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

Thanks for the kinda words. We try to make sure everyone knows that we truly care about the community and want to make sure that everyone is happy. I can possibly make you a stamp for the case if you do get it. :D

1. This is just do to each case layout. How the H440 is laid out and the overall size of the case depict on how much room there is for the GPU.

I must not have stated my point clearly. It was stated that the case "fits the Gigabyte G1"..... but the very specs of the case contradict this. The card can not in an opening of 294mm when the card itself is 312mm long. That's an error of omission. I'm perfectly fine if it is stated:

It fits cards up to 294mm long.
It fits cards up to 450mm long with HD cages removed.

Just suggesting that this be made clear as someone buying the case with the intent to fit 6 HDs and a Gigabyte G1 will be sorely disappointed and shipping the case back.

2. Same concept on both. You have a header from the PWM board that relays information to and from the motherboard. There is an external power connection so that you dont fry the motherboard at all. With AI Suite and other programs (depending on motherboards) you can adjust the fan speeds that are connected to the hub via PWM signal. Its rather simple and complicated at the same time. It will be some time before it does come to market.

I find the concept rather simple. I know well how they work as I have 6; and they can work with or without the SATA connector (provided that you don't exceed the MoBo header rating) ..... I have three hubs in one box controlling 15 fans, and 2 other boxes with the hubs, none of which uses the Power connector.

Again, I was responding to the statement that the new NZXT hub is somehow different from the Phanteks, I was asking, specifically, how it is different as that difference may be important to me and may cause to buy NZXT hubs in the future instead of the Phanteks. Also will it be available as a separate accessory. I had asked Phanteks about that when their cases came out and "due to popular" demand, they were on the market a few months later. I'm hoping (and suggesting) NZXT does the same

3. Adding those items makes it not the H440. As the H440 stands it changed the game, and is causing other companies to play catch up and evolve. Sometimes those items arent needed with the way software and hardware is being approached.

Again, I must not have been clear. I like the design of the H440. I was hoping for a new version of the H440 with:

A. The ability to mount an optical drive, even temporarily.... maybe even in the rear like the Evolv. But also, the ability to mount LCDs, Fan Controllers, temp monitors, OC Stations, NZXT Hue, card readers, hot swap bays and such

B. I like the nice clean looks of the H440 .... from an aesthetic standpoint, for me personally anyway, the H440 pleases and the Phantom is just a bit "much". Style wise, this reminds me more of the Phantom than the H440. I was hoping the new H440 would look more like the old H440 than the Phantom.

C. I was also hoping we'd get a bit more space up top to make push / pull with decent size rads an option..... was a bit too tight on the H440.... was hoping for a little more case height. Could not tell from the article if this was now more doable.

Again, I really like the H440 case, but on many builds when the user wants one or more of those things on that wish list, it gets knocked out.... I'd really like to use it more often where the taller cases present desk issues

bivu1902

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Anyone will buy yhis case, just remember there will no optical drives. Im building a PC gaming for my own. Purchased the case then found that there was optical drive in this case only if u connect it then put it on the floor. I bought a windows 8.1 retail dvd but after this case with my lack of knowledge. I feel so waste of money. No optical drive. Since 8 years stuck with my old pc, now i building a pc but disappointed just because paid 200$ AUD without an optival drive. Im so mad right now.

bivu1902

Reputable
Jun 12, 2015
Anyone will buy yhis case, just remember there will no optical drives. Im building a PC gaming for my own. Purchased the case then found that there was optical drive in this case only if u connect it then put it on the floor. I bought a windows 8.1 retail dvd but after this case with my lack of knowledge. I feel so waste of money. No optical drive. Since 8 years stuck with my old pc, now i building a pc but disappointed just because paid 200$ AUD without an optival drive. Im so mad right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS