Obama: Government Halfway on Patent Reform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
What would go al long way towards fixing this patent mess would some regulations that require you to take some very basic steps towards implementing your patent in a useful way.

A patent shouldn't be a simple license to sue. If you take no action on a patent you hold over a period of several years it should expire, or you should at least be forced to sell it to an entity that will use it productively.

[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Because on top of just having a lot of mormons, they think that overprivileged, unexperienced greedy mormons are qualified to run for office.[/citation]

I'll give you the overprivledged and inexperienced and even the greedy (though I personally disagree) but don't throw in religion in there, you just branded everyone form a group you do not know as being unfit to be president.

Its like saying all catholics should not be allowed to be bus drivers because you didn't like bus driver and he happens to be catholic.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Estix[/nom]Mark my words: What starts as 'patent reform'will just end up as another SOPA.[/citation]

Except that SOPA was unnecessary, but this patent reform is badly needed.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]The half of the nation that doesn't believe in evolution is also the half that voted Romney[/citation]

That is a gross generalization. I voted for Romney and know evolution is true. Many many others are the same. You make it sound like the only ones who voted for Romney are from the 'religious right'. If that were true, then he would not have gotten the votes he did. Romney was much more central than Bush Jr. Meanwhile waaaay out on the left wing we have Obama who in this article admits that he changed the patent system to a first file system. Take that away, and many of the current patent problems become moot.

jdhirst

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]athulajp[/nom]Because on top of just having a lot of mormons, they think that overprivileged, unexperienced greedy mormons are qualified to run for office.[/citation]

I don't know any "overprivileged, unexperienced greedy mormons" though I'm sure they exist.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I just think its funny his solution to patent trolls is to change it to First-to-File instead of First-to-Invent. So it pretty much hurts the actual inventor and now companies like Apple don't even need to spend anything on research and development. They can just wait for some other company to invent something, then file for the patent themselves while putting in a little padding for their patent to be filed first.
Don't even need to invent anything, just need to file a patent on the idea. Hey guys I am going to file a patent on Curing Aids. If someone finds a cure, they have to pay me to use the cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS